Part 1

Hug me to forget

           

           When he was designed as EXO’s leader, he knew it came with a lot of responsibilities. The people in charge at the SM Company could trust him, because he had been training the longest among the other members and could take the initiative when needed. He also knew how to comfort his friends, when they were frustrated with not debuting when they thought. Junmyeon learned to have patience and be calm wherever the situation became heated. He also learned to take care of the others, especially the Chinese men. Junmyeon was insightful since he was a little boy, he read the other people easily, the trait coming from his mother, who taught him how to take advantage or to back off when it’s necessary.

            Months before their debut, they had been training and practicing like crazy, sleeping only two or three hours. Some of the members were frustrated because of this, but luckily they had not been too vocal about that. They couldn’t afford it when the debut date was so close. But the leader sensed their lack of their willpower and he tried to comfort each one of them. He talked with everybody in privacy and managed to calm them down. Those sessions were often leaving him tired mentally, and those times he scolded himself for accepting being the leader. But the next minute, he swore at himself for being weak. He knew he has responsibilities, he knew he has to fulfill them and be a better leader and person. He tried his best every time, but he is also a person with feelings and weaknesses.

            After the debut, everything seemed to go smoothly, until the announcement that Yifan will leave the group. The news were so sudden, it took all of them by surprise. Protests appeared almost instantly, and anger seemed to be like a really grey and ugly cloud above them. Junmyeon tried to be understanding and, as the result, he tried to mediate between them. The only ones appearing unfazed about it were Yixing, Minseok and Kyungsoo. But Junmyeon knew them all and he could figure out that it was only a show. It began to be a dark time for the entire group, because the remaining members were very angry, tired and picked fights with each other. Junmyeon tried to talk sense into them, sometimes he managed to break the fights, sometimes he didn’t even want to talk with them and he would lock into a tiny room, to calm himself down. The only one who dared to come to comfort him and listen to him was Yixing. He always let Junmyeon have 30 minutes to cool off and then he came and knocked on the door. After telling the leader it was only him, Junmyeon let him in, because Yixing never caused trouble and he was one of the most obedient members. He didn’t complain even once he is tired or sick and the leader admired him immensely for that. He wanted to be more like the Chinese man, he saw Yixing always working hard and giving his all for everything he did. Junmyeon only afforded to break down in front of Yixing and he always took the other in his arms and soothed him. His hugs were always effective, it was like he really deserved his title of the healing unicorn.

            After the leave of Luhan and Zitao, the leader thought everything is going to become even worse. Junmyeon had sometimes thought that their group was never going to be normal and steady, but the others started to surprise him. All his brothers have started to be more mature and understanding. They have only turned sad after hearing the bad news. But, on the contrary, Junmyeon started to feel worse. He blamed himself for everything, for not taking care of them better. He was really afraid more members wanted to quit, especially Yixing. But the other reassured him after one night, where he asked him if he would also leave. Yixing denied vehemently, saying he was going to be loyal to EXO until the end. The leader was calmer after that, but he was still paranoid that the Korean members also wanted to quit. Fortunately, all of them came to him and said they were going to support him and the group until the end was to come. But that didn’t stop Junmyeon to blame himself again. He realized the company was not exactly happy with the three’s departure, because it brought a decline in their stocks.

            He was, again, locked up in that tiny room, and no matter what the others tried to coax out of him, they didn’t manage anything. Only when Yixing came back from China (he had a lot of individual schedules in his maternal country), did he let him in. In seconds, Junmyeon threw himself in Yixing’s arms and began to cry. The Chinese man was flabbergasted, he had never seen his leader cry (except on stage for the fans), always thought Junmyeon is really strong, even if he needed comfort sometimes. He patted the other’s back, while Junmyeon’s arms were circling Yixing’s waist. He also whispered words of okay to the leader, keeping his voice barely as a whisper. They sat like this for quite a while, during which Junmyeon brought the other man even closer, so even their chests and hips were touching. It was doing really good to Junmyeon, he felt more refreshed after a few minutes in Yixing’s arms. He broke their hug and after that the Chinese man brought his thumb and wiped Junmyeon’s tear-stained cheeks and smiled at him, showing his left dimple. The leader couldn’t help and smiled back, even if it was just a little upturn of the corners of his mouth.

            And then Yixing told him, in a louder voice: “Everything is going to be alright, don’t worry, you have me and the other friends by your side” and in that moment, EXO’s leader believed in his words and knew that even if not everything will be alright, they could pass over hardships if they are together.