Chapter 1: We're complete strangers!

Strangers

I came out of our house and bid goodbye to my mom through my cellphone. My mom was at the country side. I was walking happily on my way to my new school. Suddenly, I saw Yuri coming out from her car outside of the school’s gate. Yuri is my friend ever since we are in grade school. Well, sometimes we would fight but we have a very strong bond that no one can break. I ran towards her. We both entered our new school together.

Well, our new school is really famous because not only rich kids are studying here but also famous artists are studying here! Can you imagine that? Luckily, I got someone sponsored me. Yeah! I do not have that much money to study here in this prestigious school. Unfortunately, my family isn’t that rich and my mom “was” sales manager in the company she’s working. Something happened to her causing her to lose her job, and my dad? He’s already gone but even though I have such a tragic life, it’s ok. As long as I have my mom with me, I can still stand strong.

To be honest I can study anywhere but it was Yuri who insisted that we should study here so she can get to see her lifetime crush, “Lee Min Ho.” You might have heard of him. Well, he’s the star of “boys over flowers” its Korea’s own version of Meteor Garden (If you know what I’m Talking about) and the “City hunter.” Well, he deserves to be gaga all over by all the girls, I mean what I’m saying is “he’s cool, hot and really YUMMY!” yeah! Yuri always tells that to me.

 Anyway, we all went to the school’s auditorium for the welcome ceremony for the freshmen. GOSH! It was totally AWESOME! Their auditorium is x10 of my house! It’s so big and really beautiful! Of course, everything would start with the Principal talking, blah~ blah~ blah~ and everything. Finally, it was all over. We both went to the registration office and took our schedules. And I’m so happy. Im classmates with Yuri again! I can’t see my day gets any better than this! We both went to our new classroom and of course~ introduce ourselves and then the teacher would appoint our seats. We were in Class A so we’re really lucky. Anyways, I shouldn’t focus myself about this people and this stars, I should focus on my studies. One subject fails and I’m dead! Our teacher gave us the time to get to know our classmates and everything.

I was sitting at the back right corner side near the windows where you can see a really great view and Yuri was sitting in front of me. We were chatting when suddenly; a guy came and sat next to me. He sat and started opening his books. I turned around and look at him. He’s face was covered with a book that’s why I went in front of his face and made face to face with him. I was shocked to see his face. I quickly turn my face away and look at the window. I think he noticed me. He suddenly looks at me.

Guy: Oh! You must be the new student! Annyeong! Im Lee Donghae!

Me: Oh! Annyeong! (Still not looking at him face to face) it was nice meeting you!

Donghae: um… can I ask you something?

Me: Ne?

Donghae: What is your name?

Me: Oh! Right!

Suddenly Yuri turned around and called me.

Yuri: hey, Soo! Let’s go and look around the campus together in lunch break!

UGH!!! I’m doomed! Yuri finally realizes the situation and look at Donghae.

Yuri: Annyeong!

Donghae: So, Your nickname is Soo? Wait! Sooyeon? Soojung? Soojin? Ah! Is it Sooyoung?

I finally turned around and face him.

Me: Oh! Ne! Choi Sooyoung.

Donghae: Choi Sooyoung? Sounds familiar!

Omo! He’s gonna remember it! Please, NO!

Donghae: Oh! Right!

Omo! Im doomed!

Donghae: You’re the one of the smartest kids here in South Korea, right? Ne! I was right! It was you! I knew it!

Whew! Thanked God he doesn’t remember me. I was freaking that he might know me. Well, to tell you honestly not so long ago, I met him in a very unfortunate way. I was walking under the bridge at Han River when suddenly, a guy took my wallet. I ran as fast as I can to chase that guy but I accidentally bump into him causing his mp3 to fall and get broken. I was really sorry to him and when I tried to chase that guy again, I already lose him. It was really the most unlucky day of my life! Anyway, back to the real situation, it finally bell. Everybody stood up from their seats. Suddenly, he turned to us.

Donghae: You might need a hand from me! You know, you’re just new to our school so you might get lost!

Me: No! It’s ok! We’re big enough! We can sure find our way out!

Donghae: No! I insist! Please, come with me, Mademoiselle!

Me: Si!

Donghae: gracias, Señoras!

We all went to the main building first. He showed to us every single room that we must know about. He also told us the restriction areas that we should avoid. Then finally we reached the 2nd, 3rd and 4th building. He took us everywhere. We didn’t notice the time because we’re having fun. It was already time and we actually miss our 2 subjects which is a major one.

Me: Omo! It’s already time! We already missed 2 subjects!

Yuri: Bwa?? Eottoke?

 Donghae: Don’t worry! I got it all controlled! You won’t be punished because you’re with me?

Me: Seriously? What are you here? Some kind of V.I.P?

Donghae: well, you can say it like that but Im just the Student council’s President and I have a very valuable reason why we are late and I have a very big influence especially to the teachers so you can feel relived now!

Yuri: Hay! Kamsahmnida!

Me: But Yuri! I don’t want to be left out on my first day here?! You completely know that my study is my one and only number one priority of course except to my family and friends!

Donghae: consider this as a lesson! You know, not many people knew this because this is secret but teachers often ask their students about the places here around the school. They make it as the student’s grade. So it’s up to you if you want to get low grade.

Me: Arasso!

Yuri: wait! I’ll just go to the comfort room! Wanna go with me, Soo?

Me: no! You can go; I’ll just wait here for you!

Yuri quickly goes. We we’re seating at the bench while waiting for Yuri.

Donghae: Anyways, I’d like to give you something!

He took something out from his pocket. He gave it to me. It was my… My wallet!

Me: How did you~ you remembered?

Donghae: Um…Ne! Actually, after what happened, I quickly look for that guy and took your wallet from him. Don’t worry! I already make sure that he took nothing even a cent from your wallet! I always keep it so that when we meet again I’ll be able to give it to you.

Me: Kamsahmnida! Jeongmal Kamsahmnida! Anyway, about your mp3, I’m really sorry about it. I’ll just replace it!

Donghae: No! It’s ok! You’re lucky because it isn’t my precious one so I’ll let you pass but you have to do something in return for me for lending your wallet.

Me: Sure! Anything! I’ll do it!

Donghae: Really? How about a dinner date with me?

Me: Bwa??? But we just met!

Donghae: Arasso! Arasso! I knew you wouldn’t say yes. Fine! Forget it!

Me: wait! Um…

Donghae: Ok! This Saturday! I’ll pick you up at your house at 7 o’clock. Ok!

Me: huh? Um… Ok?!

What the~ It was so fast! How can he make me say yes? It didn’t even last 3 minutes! Finally, Yuri came back. We continued going around the campus. Gosh! He’s weird! NO! Weirder! I guess he’s really happy that he seems to be so energetic on helping us. Finally, it was now time to go home. I was left with Yuri at the classroom. I was packing my things.

Yuri: So, where are we going tonight?

Me: what do you mean, tonight? Have you forgotten? I have work after class at the coffee shop!

Yuri: Shoos! Be quiet! Someone might hear you! (Whispers) You know that it’s against the school rules, do you?

Me: Oh! NE! But don’t worry! No one will be able to find it out!

We then finally go. I first went to our house to change my clothes. Yes! I and Yuri were leaving in the same house. It was actually an apartment. My mom was leaving with some of my relatives at the country side while Yuri’s parents lives at New York. Yuri’s family owns a company which is at New York. Well, it seems that Yuri and I were really having some differences but we also have some similarities and we enjoy each other’s company. I was now at the coffee shop I am working. I change my clothes to my uniform when suddenly I heard some loud noise outside. I quickly go outside only to found out that one of the customers was creating a scene. I quickly went to my co-worker, Taeyeon.

Me: What is happening here?

Taeyeon: this guy suddenly creating a scene. I think he is drunk. I smell an alcohol to him.

I went to talk to the customer. I first make him calm.

Me: Sir, please! Calm down first. Let’s talk this out, please?

Customer: let go of me! Who do you think you are to touch someone like me? Don’t you know me?

Me: Sir, you’re drunk! Please, have a seat first. Taeyeon get some coffee.

Customer: No! I don’t want your coffee anymore!

Taeyeon: then just get out of here!!!

Customer: You’ll lose your business! Is this how you treat your customers?

Taeyeon: you’re not our customer! You’re a crazy guy who just started a scene here!

Customer: NOH!

The customer hit Taeyeon on her face.

Me: Taeyeon!!! (Whispers) Just get out some waters instead!

Taeyeon get some water out and quickly went back. She gave it to me.

Me: Sir, please have some water instead!

Customer: No! You leave me alone! You don’t know anything!

As soon as he was going to hit Taeyeon again, I grabbed the water (cold) and splash it into his face. He then starts to break all the chairs and tables. Then suddenly, when he was going to throw it at us someone came. That was almost. But I wonder who he is. I wanna thank him for saving my life. He beats the guy and called police and they arrest him. We were all left at the coffee shop. I was fixing all the tables and chairs while thinking of the guy who just saved my life earlier. I don’t know where he is now but wherever he is, I hope I could talk to him and thank him for saving me. Suddenly, someone came.

Guy: Are you ok? Aren’t you hurt anywhere else?

That voice sounds familiar to me. Its…It’s the one who saved me! I quickly turned around only to find out that it was Donghae.

Me: Thank you~

Both: You???

Donghae: Soo, what are you doing here? Wait! You’re working here?

Me: Ne! Are you the one who just help us?

Donghae: Ne! Are you hurt?

Me: Aniyo! I’m ok! Anyway, what are you doing here?

Donghae: I am a regular customer here but aren’t the students are not allowed to work?

Me: Ne! Please! Im begging of you! Don’t tell it to others especially to the principal! Im begging you!!!

Donghae: Arasso! I won’t do that but I need to talk to you first.

Me: Ne?

Donghae: Why are you working? Aren’t your parents working? Why do you have to work?

Me: Arasso, but promise me you won’t tell it to anyone! Actually, my parents can’t work! So, I’m the one who’s working for the living. We’re only poor! I need to earn money for my study and to be able to live!

Donghae: I don’t get it! Why they can’t work?

Me: Well, five years ago, an accident happened, a car accident. My parents got into an accident and my dad died there while my mom wasn’t able to walk properly because they have to cut her legs.

Donghae: oh! Is that so? Im sorry!

Me: sorry because of what happened?

Donghae: No! Sorry because I don’t know anything about you but yet I looked down on you. I belittle you!

Me: in what way?

Donghae: The way I spoke to you! I would always think that girls are all the same and I always think that girls are weak.

Me: you’re different! You’re the only one who apologizes to me after hearing that not because of what happened but because you belittle me!

Donghae: By the way, where is your mom? You’re leaving with Yuri in an apartment right?

Me: My mom is at my relatives. Wait! By the way, how did you know these?

Donghae: Didn’t you tell it to me?

Me: huh? I haven’t told to you anything about my life!

Donghae: really? It seems like you did, do you? Are you sure? But I was sure! You did tell me!

Me: huh? Well, you know what? It’s ok! Let’s just forget it!

Taeyeon: Soo, everything is now ok! I already took care of it!

Me: Mianhae, Yeonie!

Taeyeon: Aniyo! I should be the one thanking! If it isn’t for your friend, we’re already dead! Anyway, let’s close not the shop.

We all go out and close the shop. Donghae was still outside. Is he waiting for someone else? Why he isn’t going home yet? Finally, we’re through. We both waved goodbye to each other and took our separate ways. Donghae was walking with me.

Me: aren’t you supposed to go home?

Donghae: Nope! Not until I was able to send you home!

Me: huh? Why would you do that?

Donghae: won’t it be unmanly if I didn’t you to home? Besides, what if something happened to you? What if that guy came back and does something on you? My conscience can’t take it!

Me: well, ok! You don’t have to say so many things! Im not bothered at all! Anyway, tell me about your parents!

Donghae: my parents? Well, they are often not at home during my entire school year. They are mostly at New York or in business trip but they would come back here during vacation and Christmas and some important occasions as well.

Me: then, who takes care of you? I mean, I know you’re old enough but you don’t to have someone to talk to at our house, right?

Donghae: My grandma! She’s always beside me. She helps me whenever I need help. She always knew when to help and when to not. She really knew me well which I am not surprised of.

Me: You’re lucky! You still have your parent with you!

Donghae: Yeah! Even though they are far away from me, they never make me feel the distance between us. They would always find way to keep in touch with me.

Finally we reached our house. I say goodbye to him and then he watch me come in first and then leaves. I don’t know why but I feel I like comfortable going with him. I feel like safe and secured with him. UGH!!! What’s happening to me! I don’t even know him yet! I just met him this morning and yet I tell him some things already?! Choi Sooyoung! Wake up! You shouldn’t trust guys easily! Remember! He’s a complete stranger that you met at the Han River and turns to be your classmate and seatmate! You can’t trust him that easily! NO!!! HE’S A COMPLETE STRANGER!!