Chapter 3

Blue Romance

A/N: Sorry for the late chapter. The final chapter will be posted up today, so do look out for it! 

*T-mark: Near the end of the swimming pool, the lines will form into a T-shap to alert the swimmers that they are nearing the end. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flashback

“Im Yoona! Look at how fast she is! At least a body length ahead, she is about to turn and swim her final lap.” As Yoona swam towards the wall, focusing on her execution, she did notice that she swam past the T-mark*. It was too late. As she turned, her head had hit the rock hard wall.

Everyone in the arena went silence.

Her fellow swimmers stopped swimming.

Her coaches and families members dashed out from the stands.

One of the lifeguards nearby jumped into the pool and scooped the unconscious Yoona out and immediately hurried her to the nearby ambulance.

“I was only 15 at that time. Ever since that incident, I was never able to turn after the T-mark.” Yoona explained to Taeceyon. Hearing this, Taecyeon scooted closer to her, gently held her hands as he comforted her while feeling guilty.

 

Ever since that day, Taecyeon felt even determined to help win the upcoming competition. Patiently teaching and guiding Yoona, he felt sense of satisfaction that she was gradually being able to execute a perfect turn. As the days past, the time spent together, Taecyeon realised that he was falling real hard for Yoona. He felt happy as he saw her radiant smile. He felt protective and worried every time was down or stressed out. Smiling to himself, he wondered what it would be like to go on dates, snuggle and even kiss with Yoona.

“What are you thinking about Taec? You are smiling like a lovesick fool?” Yoona asked in amusement while looking at his silly face.

“You.” He said without a hesitation.

 

It was the day of the competition. Both of them headed down to the arena separately as Taecyeon needed to attend to something. Feeling extremely nervous, she paced around the room as she rubbed her hands and breathing fast. At this moment, the room was filled with screams. Turning around, she saw Taecyeon walking towards her, despite attracting unwanted attention from the other female swimmers. Seeing him made her calm her nerves slightly. However, all of a sudden, she felt Taecyeon hands go behind her back, realizing that he had embraced her. She swear she could hear jealousy emitting from his fangirls. “You can do it Yoong. I’ll will be waiting for that gold medal.” Taecyeon whispered into her ear. As he released her, he gave her an encouraging pat before leaving the waiting room. Ignoring the nasty stares given to her, she felt more motivated than ever after seeing Taecyeon.

Yoona stood on the starting board, waiting for start signal.

“BEEP!”

Yoona dived in with determination marked on her face. The determination to win the medal for him.

And she did.

“Ladies& Gentlemen, and now for the champion of the 200m freestyle, Im Yoona!!!!!” Yoona stood on the podium as she heard her name, feeling extremely elated that she had won. After a few rounds of photo session and accepting congratulatory appreciation from her fellow competitors, she desperately wanted to see Taecyeon. Pacing around the pool area and looking at the stands, she felt upset that he wasn’t there to congratulate her. At her corner of her eyes, she spotted him leaving the arena and was about to chase after him when she heard her name being called.

“Ms Im! Congratulation on your win! My name is Song Soo An and I am the director of SSA.”

 

“There, it’s all done!” Taecyeon exclaimed as he climbed down the ladder. Ensuring that everything is in place, he quickly switched off the lights in the complex as he went to hide, waiting for Yoona to arrive.

 

Yoona quickened her steps as she reached closer to the complex. She had a fantastic day and she can’t wait to tell Taecyeon what had happened today. Entering the complex, she noticed that it was pitch black, indicating that no one is here. “So he’s not here” Yoona thought, feeling deflated instantly. Her day would have been made perfect if only Taecyeon was here, right by her side.

 

“3, 2, 1” Taecyeon said under his breath as his hands touched the switch.

 

All of a sudden, the small complex was lighted up. One by one, various shapes of animals, symbols, emojis and the word “CONGRATULATIONS” were lighted up in a soft blue colour, turning the complex walls into a beautiful shade of blue as the light reflected each other. Yoona was speechless, as she watched the individual shapes light up. In this moment, a tiny blue heart shape was lit up, followed by another and another. When the last shape lit up, there stood Taecyeon in the blue heart, holding a bouquet of roses. At the sight of him, she burst into tears.

Taecyeon stood in the middle of the complex and around him, was tiny shapes of blue heart, formed into a blue heart that was big enough for two people to stand inside. He had never felt so nervous before. In that instant, when they made eye-contact, sparks flew, and Yoona burst into tears. Reaching out his hand, he gestured her to stand right outside of the heart.

“Stop crying, you’re ruining the mood. It’s a happy day!” he cooed, earning him a smack on his chest from Yoona. Before Yoona could remove her hand from his chest, he grabbed it and placed it on his heart. Staring right into her doe’s eyes, he said.

“Yoona, this may sound cheesy but please listen. Right now, I am standing in my heart. It’s not very big as you may have noticed as it can only fit a few people. Besides my family members, my coach and close friends, there very little space left. You are the brightest, passionate, strong, and most wonderful girl I have ever met. I was attracted to you the moment when you said goodbye to me despite knowing who I am at this very place. Having spent the past month together, I realised that I want to protect you, make you happy and go on swimming dates together, creating beautiful memories with you.

 

Releasing her hand, Taecyeon kneeled down on one knee. Holding the roses towards her, “Will you step into my blue heart, Im Yoona?”

 

Lifting her foot, Yoona took a step forward, accepted his roses. However she remained outside the heart and urged Taecyeon to rise. Dejectedly, Taecyeon stood up, feeling disappointed. That’s when he felt someone’s lips on his.

When Taecyeon stood up, Yoona instantly placed her lips on his, giving him a quick peck. “If you’re kneeling down, how am I supposed to step into the tiny heart since you are so muscular and big size?” Yoona jokingly teased a stunned Taecyeon. Feeling embarrassed, Yoona looked down, unable to meet his eyes until she felt his strong arms around her, as he had embraced her. “Thank god.” Taecyeon muttered as he nuzzled into Yoona’s hair, inhaling her scent.

Yoona laughed, as they continued to embrace, each feeling contented.

 

“OPPA! Catch me if you can!” Yoona teased Taecyeon while trying to escape from him by swimming around in the swimming pool in the complex. Instead of practicing for an upcoming meet, they were instead fooling around with each other. “Got ya!” Taecyeon shouted with victory as he caught Yoona, wrapping her in a tight embrace. Turning her around to face him, he leaned for a kiss. Yoona, in turn responded and deepened the kiss. “Can I sneak into your room tonight please…”Taecyeon pleaded with his puppy eyes. At the sight of him pleading, Yoona could not help but smile foolishly at him and thinking how sometimes he can be such a dork. “Not today, Jess will be in the room tonight.” she smiled at that thought. “Let’s get back to practice alright?” Taecyeon agreed as the both of them went back into training mode.

6 months has passed since Yoona became a student at SSA.  After the competition, Mr Song had approached her and offered her a scholarship at SSA in which Yoona gladly accepted and thanked profusely to him. Jess, was Yoona roommate in which she had dearly missed after she went to America for an overseas training program for a few months.

During these 6 months, Yoona and Taecyeon relationship grew stronger. They were inseparable, frequently going out on dates to water parks, movies, shopping and beach sides where they would watch the sunset together. When the news of them dating each other leaked out, SSA was in chaos. Fangirls of Taecyeon was devastated at the fact that their idol was taken. They detested Yoona at first and was constantly disturbing her, hoping that she will break off with Taecyeon but to no avail. Ultimately, they noticed how much Taecyeon was in love with Yoona as he was always by her side, waiting for her after every class, feeding her with that loving gaze during lunch and watching her swim at every lesson. Finally realizing that he wasn’t meant to be theirs, they gave them their blessings.

 

“Oppa, pay attention in class, what are you always thinking about?” Yoona said in a hushed tone, hoping that the teacher won’t notice them whispering.

“You.”