Bellua Estate

The Art of Insanity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[n] Bellua
/ˈbel.lu.a/, [ˈbɛl.lʊ.a]

bellua f ‎(genitive belluae); first declension
Alternative form of bēlua ("beast").

Bellua Estate would always remain as a mystery to the townspeople. Some said it was haunted, some said it was cursed. Rumors had it reached through the kingdom, yet even the most famous detectives abandoned the case in the half way.

Jessica remembered hearing his father’s conversation with his cohort about it at her tenth birthday party. She had always overheard, yet forgot not long after. Only that time, this case stuck in her brain for God knew how long.

“The death of Mr. Fraud and his wife was bizarre- never seen any case like this. Sleeping breathlessly through their slumber, the witness reported. If it was not for the appointment witness made with the owners, it might take longer to realize their death, considering they were not much of outdoor persons.”

“There’s a boy in the house, wasn’t it? Their son-”

“Yes, met him once with Mr. Fraud upon his visit to anchorage. Perhaps the same age as my Jessica, albeit very much taller. He looked more like his mother- more like us, you know, Koreans. Hilarious, I found the boy pretty.”

“Ha! Ridiculous it is! Where is the boy? He’s not dead, isn’t he?”

“Oh, missing, Choi. He’s missing.”

Like an old radio, or an annoying song, the conversation kept on repeating in her mind throughout the journey to Bellua Estate. Even after thirteen years since the incident, the thrilling feeling couldn’t be easily ignored.

The carriage turned left, into a narrow lane that led them off to their destination. Despite the thick mist, Jessica noticed, a tall hedge was standing proudly just a few feet ahead. She blinked, trying to have a clearer look, but it was useless. The hedge appeared as a mere blur in her sight.

Upon reaching it, Jessica’s dared herself to peek from the window. However, the mist thickened, and before she knew it, they had passed through the hedge. Jessica struggled to hide her shock, for when she turned behind, nobody was guarding the almost invisible hedge.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter