Snippet 2: It all started with a survey

Snippet

Soohyuk knocked on the door three times before entering. He knew Yoona wouldn't answer. The girl was far too tired when she arrived earlier. Still, courtesy was courtesy.

Contrary to the norm and popular expectation, Yoona does not have a separate room even though she's female - the sole one at that. Instead, she was in a triple sharing, bathroom ensuite room with Jaejoong and Siwan.

A month before the premiere broadcast of the current season, the producers held an online poll, participated by both local and international fans, that decided the room arrangements of the show. This particular survey excluded Yoona's name much to the confusion at first and curiosity later on of the public. After three weeks, the outcome was revealed. Truth be told, the resulting pairs (and the respective reasons behind them) were expected by the fans.

G-Dragon and Soohyuk were paired up because they were known to be good friends in real life. On the other hand, T.O.P and Joo Won were put together primarily because they were look-alikes. They were of the same age too and, the viewers were excited to see how they will interact with each other. Lastly, Jaejoong and Siwan were selected to be together because almost everyone thought that they will balance each other out as seen from their good working relationship in the drama Triangle. All was good and, the public thought that everything was set. A week before the first episode, however, another survey was released with a premise that the room arrangements will actually be on a 2-2-3 basis. The major question this time was who among the pairs will be the most suitable roommates for Yoona. Most of the fans were elated by the news and voted almost immediately but, some hardcore ones were not happy with the idea and openly protested against it. Despite a few hate and malicious comments, the survey continued with the pair of Jaejoong and Siwan as the winner. To add fun and a littlr twist, the producers also disclosed that they had included an optional question for the respondents to answer, that is, "Without considering the given pairs, who among the current cast will be most compatible as Yoona's (#1) roommate?"

The results of the second poll brought frustrations and laughters to everyone. As expected by the public, Siwan topped the list with a whooping 2.1M votes due to his clean and nice image. To everyone's amazement and surprise on the other hand, Jaejoong closely followed with 1.9M votes even beating "the good guy" Joo Won who came only in third place with 1.4M votes. T.O.P, Soohyuk, and G-Dragon, however, landed at the bottom three respectively. In a guesting they made in KBS2's Happy Together, the latter three confessed that they were quite appalled by the result.


Flashback

"So I heard that when the producers of Roommate asked the public on who will be the most compatible roommate for Yoona, you three landed at the bottom. What were your reactions on this?" Yoo Jaesuk, the main host, asked their three handsome guests.

Being the oldest, it was T.O.P who answered first. "Well...to be honest, the complete truth behind the room arrangements was only revealed to us a few weeks ago. When we first arrived at the house, we accepted it as it was though I have to admit that I was surprised that Yoona will be sharing a room with two of us. I mean, she's an idol just like the rest but, we all know that her status as a member of Girl's Generation and a star of her own is on a different level. When the three of us were informed..." TOP continued making hand gestures to himself, Soohyuk and GD, "that we landed at the bottom three in that particular survey, we were really surprised. According to the PDs, the primary reason was that the public deemed the three of us unsafe for Yoona, that it was impossible for us to have a platonic relationship with her because the between her and us is too high. That surprised me a lot because prior to Roommate, I have no to little interaction with Yoona. Well, we are both idol-actors so seeing each other on music shows and award nights are given but really, aside from that, I cannot remember an event where we interacted more than the courtesy bow and hello."

"I have the same sentiment as Seunghyun hyung." Soohyuk immediately followed. "Prior to the show, the only time that I was on the same room with Yoona was during the 2nd anniversary of Theory where we were both invited. We sat next to each other that time but after exchanging hellos, we acted as if the other was non-existent."

"Then maybe the fans based it on visuals? Yoona is known as SNSD's center after all." - Park Misun, one of the hosts, offered.

"Then I should placed first!" T.O.P, Soohyuk and G-Dragon all jokingly said at the same time causing a howl of laughter from everyone.

"GD-ah. How about you? We already heard T.O.P and Soohyuk's side. How about you? What was your reaction?" Jaesuk asked the person sitting closest to him.

"Well... placing last..." G-Dragon started, a little embarassed. "Placing last was a first for me." 

The hosts and other guests nodded and laughed a little whilst urging him to continue.

"When we were informed about it, I actually told one of the PDs that there must be a mistake, that they should recheck it." G-Dragon continued.  "Compared to Seunghyun hyung and Hyuksoo here, I have more interactions with Yoona. However, those were during the time BigBang and Girl's Generation were still starting. The biggest factor that I think affected the survey result was about me confessing of dancing in front of her as well as a few Girl's Generation members during a common friend's birthday party. I admitted that I was really drunk that time. Still, I have already apologized for that a long time ago."

"Ah! I know that!" Shin Bongsun, another host, exclaimed all of a sudden. "That's the one you confessed in Strong Heart! That's also the same time you chose Yoona as the girl you will take in a deserted island right?"

G-Dragon blushed at the memory.

"You remember well, noona." he pointed out.

"I'm keeping tabs on what idols are saying so I can tip Dispatch later on." Bongsun replied wittily causing another round of laughter on set.

"Well, just like what Bongsun noona said, I already find Yoona very pretty even back then. But because I am a sunbae, I tried to keep as much professional distance as possible to prevent misunderstandings and scandals." G-Dragon explained.

"Is that really the case?" Misun interjected quickly. "I've watched all of Roommate's episodes so far and it seems to me that the professional distance that G-Dragon has just mentioned has started to disappear." 

"Ah! Yes! Yes! There was that time when he and Yoona were alone one night. I think everybody else has schedule that time so the two were quite bored. GD then asked her if she wanted to watch a movie with him. Yoona immediately said yes but, it turned out that the movie was a scary one and... you both ended up sleeping together right?" Bongsun teasingly asked earning surprise reactions from the hosts, staff, and even from T.O.P and Soohyuk who both exclaimed a loud "WHAT?!" after hearing what Bongsun said.

"Ya! You rascal! When was that?" T.O.P asked completely facing G-Dragon.

"Why wasn't I aware of that?" Soohyuk followed.

"Ya ya ya!" G-Dragon said obviously flustered, "Bongsun noona! Look at the situation you got me in!"

"But did you really sleep together?" Misun asked.

At that moment, everyone's eyes were on G-Dragon and he can't helped but turn beet red.

"Well...It's true that we slept together."

"You rascal!" T.O.P shouted.

"Byuntae!" Soohyuk added.

"Wait! Let me explain first. It's not the kind of sleeping together that you are all thinking of." GD continued, trying his best to defend himself.

"Aish... What kind of sleeping together do you think we are thinking of, G-Dragon ssi?" the hosts said obviously feigning innocence.

G-Dragon laughed nervously at this. "Well, we watched the movie but really, we didn't expect it to be that scary. After watching it, I asked if Yoona could sleep alone. She wasn't sure if she can so I offered that we sleep together... in the living room. We took out our futons then placed it near the sofa and that's basically how we ended up sleeping together."

A long "Ahhhh...." was everyone's reaction.

"I see. Now that G-Dragon here have cleared everything, let's move on. As a closing remark, if you have one thing that you wanted to say to your PDs, what is it?" Yoo Jaesuk said.

"Please have a poll again. I'm sure I wouldn't place last this time. Thank you." GD said shortly and shyly.

"Who do you think will be the last one if ever they will conduct a new survey?" Park Myeongsu asked.

"Well, Hyuksoo here have been very expressive towards Yoona lately so I think..." G-Dragon was  not able to finish his sentence because as Soohyuk's real name flew from his mouth, said guy flicked him on the forehead which caused everyone to laugh out loud. Teasings and unexpected explanations forgotten. 

End of Flashback


Soohyuk tried to erase the thought of him being last if ever a survey will be conducted again. Has he been that expressive towards Yoona lately? He's just taking good care of her right?

Trying to veer his unnecessary thoughts away, he quickly walked towards Yoona's futon where she was sprawled in an ungraceful, starfish position. He let out an amused chuckle before bending down to give the sleeping figure below him a quick kiss on the forehead.

"Taking good care of her huh? Who am I kidding?" Soohyuk murmered to himself.

He lightly shook her up and was thankful to the fact that she was a light sleeper. As Yoona slowly opened her eyes and saw Soohyuk staring right back at her, she mumbled, "Is it time to eat now, oppa?"

Sooyuk laughed again, "Ya! Im Yoona! Do you only ever think about food now?!"

Yoona chuckled in return but said in a really tired voice, "If we are not yet eating then please let me sleep some more, oppa."

She was about to turn her back on Soohyuk when the older one said, "I'll let you do that but I'm afraid we have a schedule."

At the aforementioned word, Yoona quickly turned to look at him. "Schedule?".

"I believe we're to film one of your favorite variety shows today." Soohyuk said as he removed tangles of hair that was now covering Yoona's face from her sudden turn.

Realization hit and Yoona suddenly stood up. "Oh god, oppa! You should have woke me up earlier!" she exclaimed as she abruptly gather her vanity kit from the mini-bedside table and run for the bathroom. Amused, Soohyuk followed the younger girl.

As he quietly leaned on the bathroom door to let Yoona brush her teeth, she frantically asked, "How many minutes more before we leave, oppa?

"15 minutes."

Yoona choked on the mouth wash she was then gargling upon hearing his reply. Soohyuk laughed for the nth time that morning and walked behind Yoona to give her a back hug surprising the girl a little. "Relax, Yoong." he said, placing his chin on her shoulder. "Siwan hyung already packed your things. Breakfast is ready too and you can just eat it on the way." he finished as he pulled her closer to him.

"Thank you oppa but, really..." Yoona started as she tried to squirm her way out from Soohyuk's grasp. "Stop it with this kind of skinship. If the other oppas see you again especially Jiyong oppa..."

"Jiyong is Jiyong. You know how possessive he can be. You're not even his girlfriend. Well, you're no one's girlfriend here. Just saying." Soohyuk replied in a serious tone. Still, he let her go. "Well... go and take a bath, Yoona." he said with finality as he kissed the top of her head. "I'll wait outside."


Author's note: Thoughts for this story were flowing freely so I decided to just write them all down. I hope you enjoyed reading this chapter. To those who subscribed, left comments, and even upvoted (Oh wow! just wow!), thank you very much. It's been a tiring but fun weekend. Here's to hoping that we'll have happy and fruitful days ahead. :)