The Interview of Fate

Myungsoo’s biggest regret

Kim Hana rechecked her script for the upcoming interview while watching Lee Sungyeol and Kim Myungsoo chatting animatedly with goofy fond smiles on their faces. Hana is an aspiring editor for Vogue Korea magazine who has always been a very dedicated inspirit and interviewing her two biases in the group is like a dream come true. Well ignoring the fact that there is no infinite anymore because the once top idol boy group disbanded a year ago with every member going their own way. It wasn't a tragic disbandment or anything. It was somehow expected when the boys returned from enlistment, they were determined to continue as infinite but somehow it didn't work. Their fanbase wasn't that big anymore and during their two years absence, many new younger boy groups came out. They released one last comeback and made the hard decision to disband. Now, a year after disbandment all the members are successful on their own and her two biases are as successful as ever. Kim Myungsoo moved to Japan like all his fans expected and became a full time photographer and a part time model and face for many famous brands in Japan.Meanwhile, Lee Sungyeol stayed in Korea and became a variety entertainer. He even opened a second branch of his bbq restaurant. The idea to have an interview with the two past idols came to her when she knew about Myungsoo returning back Home to do the wedding pictorial of a famous CEO who happened to be an infinite fan and wished for his idol’s presence in his wedding even if as a photographer. Hana stopped revising her script to watch the myungyeol couple getting prepared and going over their own script. Oh yeah she was a hardcore myungyeol shipper back in the day and she couldn't help but seize the opportunity when her boss asked her to do the interview but originally it was only Myungsoo who her boss had in mind but Hana jumped in to suggest inviting sungyeol too. The interview will have a pictorial and she fed her boss with the idea of two hot handsome men posing together and the woman definitely liked the imaginary. Now if you ask her if she still ships them together? Of course she does!! Well…. Okay she felt a little cheated when Sungyeol announced having a girlfriend whom he is getting married to. It happened right after the disbandment approximately a year ago but you know what they say, once a shipper always a shipper. And the two best friends look absolutely lovely together right now joking around with each other and with the staff and stylists . They are wearing tailored suits that go well with the pictorial business professional theme. They already finished shooting the first half of the pictorial and about to start the interview with her. Both look happy and healthy but something is missing and she wishes she knew what it is…


Myungsoo is happy. He really is very much happy with his life and the decisions he made but there will always be one thing he regrets not doing no matter how successful he is at the moment. But he is a coward and he has to live with that. He looks at Sungyeol being his flirty self with the interviewer who turned out to be a big fan of them. Sungyeol is glowing and blooming under the attention and he looks so handsome with the faint beard he got. He always thought Sungyeol was too beautiful for a boy but after a long year not seeing him, Sungyeol decided to let his beard grow because why not? And Sungyeol can have wrinkles and white hair and dark circles and Myungsoo will still think he is the most handsome man on earth. Talk about pathetic.

Myungsoo clears his head and pays attention to the interviewer instead of staring at his best friend's side profile. She is asking them the basic interview questions, how they felt about the disbandment, what were they doing with their lives, what are their plans for the future. She asks them about the other members and wishes if they can make a reunion, he wishes that too because he missed all of them and he missed being seven, being infinite. The interview goes smoothly with him and Sungyeol taking turns in answering the questions until the unthinkable happens.


“ So, i know that you got a script but i wanted to improvise a little and i am gonna ask you a few questions out of script, are you okay with that? ”

Sungyeol nods and Myungsoo hums in approval.
“ You know fans like to know more about their idols especially after missing them for so long and i would like to get to know more ”

“ Myungsoo shi, despite all the success and glamour, you must have some doubts or regrets.. Something you wished to change or something you wished to do…. So, do you have any regrets in life?? ”

Myungsoo inhaled loudly, regrets……. yeah there is one big fat regret and he must control his tongue because Sungyeol is looking intently at him waiting for his answer. He looks back at him and stares in those clear honest eyes he loves so much and he is stuck back in his hopeless love for that man. A love that he should have stopped from the beginning, a love that he should have forgot in that year he escaped to Japan but neither happened.

He can just be honest without disclosing anything, may be admitting his love out loud would do the trick to help him get over it.

He turns away from Sungyeol and fixes his eyes on the interviewer so his resolve won't weaken
“ Actually yes i do have many regrets, many stupid decisions i made but i can't live in the past forever, i have to move on” well that was more to himself not the interviewer.
She presses back “ So have you moved on??”
He hesitates but answers anyway
“ No, not really I'm still stuck in the past ” he feels his heartbeat accelerating and he prays she will move onto Sungyeol but of course…….

“ May be if you talked more about your regrets, you can move on…… do you regret being an idol?? or you regret letting someone go maybe??? ” she looks at him pointedly like she knows something and man his resolve is crumbling.

Well it… “ Being an idol was the best decision i made in my life but with it, i met the love of my life who i had to let go of because it would never work out, which proved to be the worst decision i made in my all 34 years of living ”

Hana feels the tension building up in the room suddenly and Myungsoo is looking at her and avoiding Sungyeol’s questioning eyes so she tries to ask him this time but too late


Sungyeol suddenly feels confused and his chest tightens with many thoughts filling his mind , the love of his life? Myungsoo? when did this happen? Why he never told me about it? He couldn't stop himself from asking
“ The love of your life? Who Could she be? Why you never told me anything? Myungsoo look at me! ”


Myungsoo feels a nerve popping in his head and he turns to face Sungyeol seething his next words

“ Seriously? She? Who is she? You can't be so blind and dense it has been ten years, sungyeol, ten ing years!!


Sungyeol stammers, feeling nervous suddenly because Myungsoo’s eyes are so intense and desperate and he is afraid of what Myungsoo might say if he presses more. He has always ignored this nagging feeling and his suspicions for so long, he can't give in now…….. Well too bad Pandora box opened already and what he tried to avoid for years is literally happening right now.

Myungsoo feels hopeful and exacerbated seeing Sungyeol’s expression, that bastard….. so he has always known huh? Well it again!

“ I have always loved you, you and you dare ask me who is she? Well you!”

Sungyeol’s eyes get twice their size bigger in surprise and he looks like a deer caught in headlights and he can't even stay angry at him because he looks adorable like that. And for some reason after Hana recovers from the initial shock she squeals like a pig and looks ecstatic hmmmm.

After few minutes of heavy silence that is only interrupted with Hana’s giggling like a teenage fangirl, she recovers herself and suspiciously excuses herself to a bathroom break.

Sungyeol is the one avoiding his eyes right now and he feels the weight of what he has done, will he avoid me for life now? Or will he just pretend nothing happened? before he can keep thinking any further, Sungyeol grabs his hand and pulls him forcefully to the dressing room, he asks for privacy and all the staff occupying the room just leave in silence. He locks the door for extra precaution and fixes him with his gaze.

“ What the hell was that! You do realize she is a reporter and that confession will go out in a ing magazine! What were you thinking? ” Sungyeol shouts at him angrily but he can see behind that facade , he is nervous and avoiding the important issue for other nonsense because the reporter obviously won't do anything to harm them, they can sue her plus she is their fan.

Myungsoo sits down calmly on a nearby chaise lounge and beckons Sungyeol to sit with him, despite his anger and obvious nervousness, he complies and sits a safe distance away from him.

Myungsoo snorts and scoots closer till he corners Sungyeol and it must be the adrenaline rush because he feels so adventurous right now and he feels like kissing those plump fleshy pink lips he has always fantasized. Sungyeol is just a pile of nerves right now bc he is facing the other way trying to stay as far from his face as possible. Myungsoo raises his hand and traces Sungyeol’s lips with his fingertips and Sungyeol shivers so hard that Myungsoo feels blood rushing through his veins. It must be his wishful thinking but Sungyeol closes his eyes and gulps audibly, he relaxed a little too.

Without moving his fingers from the enchanting lips Myungsoo prompts him “ look my way please, we need to talk , i can go out and pretend nothing happened and ask her to erase everything but i don't want to, i want to tell you how much i love you, how much i want to hold you,kiss you, spend the rest of my life with you and you will listen Sungyeol ”

Sungyeol finally faces his way and opens his eyes and he looks so sad and sorrowful that Myungsoo feels his throat close up.

“ Myungsoo please, i beg you, you can't do that to me, not now, I'm getting married in few months and you have to move on and get married too ” Sungyeol whispers the words and Myungsoo can only hear them because he is so close.

“ Why you are not disgusted or shocked by my sudden confession, huh? Answer me!! ”

“ I……. I always suspected that y.. you had feelings for me, i am not that blind but i never thought it was for so long and i think i didn't want to believe it ” Sungyeol is red in the face saying that and pouts slightly “ But anyway you gotta move on, you have to!! Japan has a lot of beautiful maidens and i am sure they will suit your taste ” Myungsoo snorts and is silent for a few seconds thinking how to answer that
“ Sungyeol. I got no taste because you were my first and last love, i never got to have standards or special traits in the people i date because all i have ever wanted was you……. My ideal girl was a scripted answer and you know that.

Sungyeol looks unconvinced and squints his eyes at myungsoo
“ Please, you wanna tell me that you never dated anyone all these
years, you are a erted for God's sake!! ” Sungyeol tries to move Myungsoo away from him but he just presses back more and cups Sungyeol’s face in his hands, well the beard feels weird for sure, Sungyeol’s cheeks were always smooth and silky albeit with acne scars. But just like all the hair on Sungyeol’s body, his beard just feels fuzzy and tickling… okay he can get used to the new feeling.

Sungyeol is simply agitated by now because Myungsoo is ignoring answering him and just playing with his beard, so he is about to lash out when Myungsoo surprises him “ of course i dated other people, boys and girls alike but i started doing it seriously only when i went to Japan trying my best to finally forget you,
I …. I always held onto hope that you might love me back some day so my love just kept getting bigger and deeper with the years, but when you went public with your relationship i knew that was it. I was content just being with you, being your most important person even if only as a best friend, but finally revealing your girlfriend i knew you would finally get to be with her freely and my time with you was bound to lessen”
Myungsoo wets his dry lips watching closely how pained and sorry Sungyeol looks, well he should be that's the least he could do.
“ I went out with boys mostly in Japan thinking that may be i am just gay that's why i fell in love with you and may be a cute Japanese boy would do it but no one worked for me, no one was you, no one gets me like you do, no one makes my heart beat erratically like its gonna escape my chest like you , no one is my soulmate but you ”

Sungyeol looks so small right now looking at him with eyes he only imagined in his dreams “Oh my god!! Why you never said anything out loud you idiot?? Why?? Whyyyyy??Why you waited for so long?? you know i was never brave enough to say it myself!! ” Sungyeol looks surprised by what he just said just like Myungsoo and he shies away from him again but no, not this time. Myungsoo holds his face tighter and speaks slowly
“ what do you mean? What are you saying? ” Sungyeol doesn’t answer and he warns him again
“ Sungyeol !!!!! ”
Sungyeol sighs in defeat and finally says it
“ It has always been you, Myungsoo ” he smiles shyly at him and Myungsoo feels himself falling in love all over again that's his Sungyeol, the shy, timid yet outspoken and honest Sungyeol. His soulmate.
“ I have always belonged to you Myungsoo and just like you, i was content with being friends but that's because i was afraid for you, for us….. And you never said anything yourself how was i supposed to confess, you are so handsome and talented and got many girls seeking you, i thought you will eventually fall for one of them and have beautiful babies like you ” Sungyeol’s lips are quivering “ You deserve to have a beautiful family Myungsoo and trust me you can't have that with me so please stop loving me, i beg you” His eyes are glassy and Myungsoo feels like dying because never in his life, he would have imagined Sungyeol saying these words to him, as much as he yearned to hear his confession, it hurts him so much he feels suffocated.
“ Be honest with me one last time, do you really love Sunah? ”

“ Of course i love her, i won't marry her if i don't ” he is bluffing

“ Okay, wrong question, Again… do you love her as much as you love me, do you think she is your soulmate?? ” you are not getting away Sungyeol

The bastard pretends to cough theatrically hitting his chest and everything and asks him for water, Myungsoo goes and fetches him some bottle he found on the dresser and handed it to him, he takes big gulps after And he finishes, he is giving his signature puppy eyes thinking it would help him out but not this time.
“Answer the question you !
He gives him a big pout and whispers his words
“ No”
“ No what!! Elaborate “
“ No i don't love her the same and no she isn't my soulmate, happy? ” oh he is delighted, you can't imagine
“ one last question, is she pregnant? ”

“ WHATTTT”
“ just answer it!”
“ N...No, not that i know of ”
“ perfect ” he gives him a predatory smile and Sungyeol gulps in fear
“ what do you mean by perfect, kim myungsoo? ”
He holds his waist tightly and he can feel Sungyeol’s heartbeat increasing, wonderful.
“ It means i'm gonna finally do something i should have done years ago , i'm gonna make you mine and you are gonna call off everything with your girlfriend and come to Japan with me or may be we should go to America first to get married then settle in Japan, hmm what do you think?”
“ HUH? ”
Myungsoo gives him one last smile then dives in to claim those lips he so long yearned to taste, and what happens is just indescribable with words, Sungyeol tastes like heaven and he kisses him back so fervently and desperately, Myungsoo bites on his lips, them, in his bottom fleshy lip between his teeth and Sungyeol is trembling in his arms or more like convulsing in pleasure, he holds him even tighter and asks for entrance with his tongue, sungyeol opens his mouth more to let him explore and savor the taste, the heavenly taste. It's just kissing but it feels like sparks lit up his nerves because of the pent up emotions that he is pouring into the kiss and the tight embrace, he desperately needs to breath but he ain't stopping until Sungyeol stops, he can die from suffocation happily right now for all he cares but what stops him isn't the need to breath but the moisture he feels on his cheeks, is he crying?? He regretfully separates their lips and Sungyeol is panting so hard and his face is heavily flushed and looks absolutely beautiful but his eyes are spilling tears after tears and is sobbing like a baby but a bright smile is adorning his face and both move their hands to wipe away each other's happy emotional tears, he smiles at Sungyeol and holds his hands, kissing his fingers and knuckles and somehow the gesture makes him cry even harder so he moves his Lips to his eyes and kisses his eyelids tenderly willing the tears to stop. He hugs him tightly and Sungyeol just continue to wet his suit but he doesn’t care because his love in his arms and everything is right in the world.
After long minutes and Sungyeol finally calming down, he raises his head and looks Myungsoo in the eyes “ I love you so much myungsoo, i am sorry i was a coward, Sunah was just my way to escape, i told her everything the night i proposed to her but she loves me so she accepted me even if i never belonged to her, i am sorry for both of you “ he looks down in shame but Myungsoo isn't blaming him for anything, they both were afraid and both decided to escape it's no one's fault. He just hugs him again, kisses his hair and sings him some song to cheer him up, eventually he dozes off sitting in his lap, cradled in his arms and life can't be more perfect than that.

Hana is sitting outside sipping her coffee and dying to know what could have happened between the former bandmates/potential soulmates. She saw the stylists and staff leaving the changing room earlier leaving myungyeol alone. She let her fangirl imagination go wild a little but had to shake herself back into reality again. She had enough material for her interview but the curious journalist in her was itching for knowledge.

She was awoken from her thoughts by the room’s door opening and Myungsoo coming out holding a seemingly sleepy Sungyeol by the waist and whispering something in his ear, they already changed back into their normal attires. She smiled creepily at them already liking their compromising position but not saying anything. Myungsoo headed into her direction and asked her politely to omit any unnecessary information or troubling banter from her interview because even if he doesn't have anything to lose, Sungyeol does . He then looked at Sungyeol with what you could call the most loving affectionate stare one could give. She squealed internally and reassured him to ease his concerns because she understands what happened can’t leave the three of them until Myungsoo and Sungyeol themselves decide otherwise. Myungsoo bows to her and wishes her good luck saying he has to drive the sleepy-head home. She waves him goodbye wishing they would always stay together like that out loud, he turns to her with an amused look and tells her
“ Don't worry he can't escape that easily now after all he always belonged and will forever belong to me”.


The End