Ending Part

Missing Breaths

SCENE TWO

 

“You don’t have a plan to follow his death, do you?”

 

With a light breezy wind, Doojoon was suddenly behind her. He put a warm coat around her shoulder before sat on one large rock next to her.

Gyuri turned her head, face was set on expressionless mode. She was actually surprised, very, because the last time in funeral, he was still in Macau doing some contracts. But with Yoon Doojoon, showing out some expression was kind of worthless.

“You do have a plan to follow me until the end of the world, don’t you?” She retorted sarcastically, while her hands worked well at tightening the coat to wrap her body more properly.

Doojoon let out unimpressive snort.

They fell into silence after that, with each of their brain busy with their own thought. The wave got stronger and swept the shore more harshly, yet either Gyuri or Doojoon moved from their spot.

Doojoon pulled out a cigarette from his coat’s pocket and Gyuri watched him in disgust.

“Just say it if you don’t want me to smoke here.”

She shifted her gaze back to the black sea, acted like wasn’t bothered about him smoking.

“If you don’t mind, then,” He pulls out the lighter.

“Can’t you appreciate the nature, at least once?” Gyuri said with a snide in her tone. She kept her gaze in front and missed the guy beside her cracked one tiny smile at the corner of his lips.

He didn’t reply and quietly put his things back into the pocket.

“What are you doing here?” Gyuri finally couldn’t hold out her curiosity any longer, still talking to him through unfriendly tone.

“Saving someone from suicide.”

She snickered upon hearing his answer, but deep down Gyuri questioning herself whether she’s still alive if this certain guy didn’t come.

Probably. Her mind spoke. It’s not like I plan on suicide at the first place.

“You know, that kid dared to give me a lecture one day.” He didn’t check whether the girl beside him was listening or not (he knew she was), and went on. “He said some people were born to be happy while some born to make others happy. It depends on us which one we want to be born.”

Gyuri shut her eyes tightly.

“Nuna, people are happy creatures. Some people were born to be happy while some born to make others happy. We should choose which one we’re born to in this world.”

“Wang Jackson, you’re talking nonsense.”

“No, I’m not.” She still remembered the glint in his eyes when he shook his head animatedly. “Look at us,” Jackson grinned widely. “I am a happy person, because Youngji is here to make me happy!” He turned his head and looked at his girlfriend, staring at her lovingly before landing a small kiss on her lips.

Youngji blushed, but still smiling.

I am happy because you make me happy, unnie. She signaled. Gyuri’s heart melted.

“Now, think about you and hyung!”

She’s suddenly in a bad mood.

“Do you think you can make Doojoon hyung happy?”

She frowned.

“Or do you think Doojoon hyung can make you happy?”

That’s very unlikely.

Gyuri didn’t say anything to answer Jackson’s question, because she had answered in her heart that you make me happy, Jackson without even once she let him know about that.

“Which one are you, Gyuri-ya?”

That was the softest voice of his Gyuri had ever heard, and her heart was in pain for that.

She opted not to answer Doojoon’s curiosity.

“Because if he was born to make you happy, I,”

He paused, purposefully stopped his words like that. She still sealed after that. But both of them knew exactly what he tried to voice out.

 

I’m willing to be reborn in order to make you happy.

__

That night Doojoon drove her to the hotel—the same hotel he checked in before coming to the beach and meeting her. Gyuri wasn’t surprised anymore at his outstanding ability to track her down so easily. Her phone wasn’t even since the news of the accident surfaced.

“We should go home.”

They should. She should. There’s still Heo Youngji in Seoul waiting for her. But she didn’t want to.

“You can go first.”

It’s silence following by the humming machine of the car, as he didn’t bother to reply and still focused on the wheel.

“I can’t face her.”

It sounded like a whisper, trembling and broken. She let it out barely audible, and through his peripheral vision, Doojoon could catch her figure slumped down dispiritedly, although her eyes glued on the window beside her.

She’s focused on watching the passing street, but still her heart forced her to spill what had burdened her to him.

“You know how she talked with her eyes?” Gyuri bit her lower lip, imagining the lost look on Youngji’s eyes, it’s too heartbreaking that no one could even stare at them less than a second. “They accused me.”

Gyuri realized fully how her relationship with her step sibling was nothing than both cherished Wang Jackson in a quite the same way. She forced herself to believe she loved the younger, obnoxious guy as her dongsaeng, as in Youngji’s case was obviously in more romantic way.

And with the disappearance of Jackson in this life, Gyuri was sure her relationship with Youngji was on the edge.

“Gyuri-ya,”

She sobbed, even without her knowing, but Doojoon let her be.

“I am so tired. This is utterly exhausting.”

She was a sobbing mess now, and Doojoon handed her a tissue from the back of the seat.

“I want to quit.”

They got into the hotel parking lot, and Doojoon slowed down the car. He turned to take a glimpse of her.

“Then quit it.” He said softly.

“I don’t wanna marry you.”

The car stopped exactly on its parking spot. Inhaling, Doojoon replied casually.

“Then don’t.”

__

Again, Doojoon drove her to their designated place after they landed safely on Seoul. Gyuri wondered why he didn’t assign his assistant or the driver to do it, but whatever it was. He could make her to finally come back to Seoul, so he could make anything happen, basically. That’s one of many Yoon Doojoon’s capability anyway.

The whole ride from the airplane until they arrived at Wang household was a complete silent. Gyuri tried to close her eyes and get some sleep, but every time her vision was pitch black Heo Youngji would come and stare at her without mercy. She ended up throwing her look at the window, seeing the shadows passing by for the whole trip.

The front yard looked deserted, and in her heart Gyuri whispered thank God, they finally left referring to the nosy reporters. Doojoon walked beside her and came into the house so casually, and when she watched he strode straight away to the clothes hanger and picked up his suite, she understood.

He took care of the matter here before went after her. And the absence of the reporters too, must be one of his magic works.

“I think she’s upstairs.” Doojoon stated, and for the first time Gyuri could study his face properly as he looked at her for a while.

He looked tired too. His eyes were a calm storm that he tried hard not to explode at the wrong outlet. She suddenly had this urge to caress his cheek and checked how hard he endured his own entire burden, but a ringtone got him walked away from her, picking up his call.

She could practically hear him reported about her being to her father.

With a heavy heart, Gyuri forced her legs to step up onto the stairs, and only stopped in front of Jackson’s room. Youngji was there, sitting quietly on his bed doing nothing.

“Where have you been? She didn’t even budge from her spot since hours ago.” Jackson’s father asked her last time they met at the mourning room. “We couldn’t do anything about many questions the reporters asked regarding her.”

Gyuri once again felt injustice. So her sister is okay to sit for hours as her mourning but she can’t leave for a while to grieve?

Look what damage you’ve done, Wang Jackson.

“Hey,”

Youngji was still in her position, didn’t respond to Gyuri’s hoarse voice. The older sister came in and sat on his bed too, made the younger one finally acknowledged Gyuri’s presence.

And seeing her eyes again, Gyuri felt like thousand needles of guilt pierced right in her heart. Youngji’s eyes were tearless, but there’s an obvious tear stain on her cheeks. Gyuri shouldn’t be surprised, she knew, but then Youngji gave her a signal.

I am sorry unnie.

was dry, and like being forced to swallow something hard that could make her choke. Gyuri asked the silent girl, tears already pricked to burst out of her eyes.

“For what?” Her chuckle was discordant.

Youngji handed her a frame from her grip. It was a photo of Jackson and Gyuri laughed wholeheartedly candidly captured by the drama staff.

“He,” Gyuri braced herself from the upcoming bawl, bit her lower lip and blinked her eyes repeatedly. “He was a happy person, wasn’t he?”

Youngji tapped her shoulder lightly.

You must be despondent too, unnie. I’m sorry I was like care about my sadness only.

Her arms sprung instantly, grabbing the younger into a heartbreaking hug. She sobbed and sobbed, and got Youngji into a sobbing mess too.

“I’m sorry,” Gyuri whispered in her difficulty to breath. “We will always love him no matter what.” And cried. “He made both of us happy.”

She felt Youngji’s arms around her tightened, body trembling hard.

For once, Park Gyuri believed she loved Wang Jackson purely as her dongsaeng.

“Hey, girls,” Doojoon had expected what kind of scene that would welcome him before he came to that kid’s room, but seeing what he predicted live was still surprising him. Park Gyuri and Heo Youngji was crying in each other’s embrace, was a rare sight to see.

“It’s already late, c’mon. I’ll drive you home.”

Both of the sisters parted, a little sob still remained once or twice. Gyuri searched Youngji’s eyes before started talking.

“You should rest, dongsaeng. Let’s go home for now.”

They stared at each other, speaking through the sending gaze. A small smile slowly appeared on both of their face, their way of saying, we will be okay, thank you for being here and giving me strength.

Thank you, thank you so much unnie.

You still have me, Youngji, just lean on me from now on.

I love you.

I love you too.

__

“Doojoon-ah,”

The tone she applied on her voice was strange. It’s like sending a special vibe that he didn’t quite grasp. He only turned his body to face her when she struck him on a hug.

Doojoon let out a light chuckle.

“Don’t bother. We all do what we need to do.” His arms enveloped her body in his warmth, one hand patted her back lightly and another one softly rubbed her head. He had this kind of smile where through a whole hectic day, at last we came to the person we liked the most to be embraced.

Gyuri felt the vibration on his chest when he said that, and she snuggled deeper to inhale more of his scent. It’s crisp, strong and only Yoon Doojoon possessed.

She might lost and get a dongsaeng at the same time, but she also gained someone who was genuine to her, willing to be reborn only to make her happy.

 

Sometimes happiness came was found at the most miserable thing we thought we couldn’t bear anyway.

 


 

 

credit; broweyedqirls, kirom  {tumblr}