The One with the Identity Crisis

My Roommates are Idiots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Anna thought she was the first up, but the bowl and silverware set in the sink proved her otherwise. Did Bobby’s roommate head out early again? As if reading her mind, Mrs. Kim looked up at her and smiled. “Hanbin left just twenty minutes ago.”

Anna shook her head, bemused. “And I thought I was fairly proactive when it came to living my life. Who gets up so early to do things during the summer anyway?”

Mrs. Kim laughed in agreement, handing her a bowl of beef stew. “Any plans for the rest of the day?”

“Thank you, it looks delicious. And just orientation at the lab, but that’s late afternoon.” Anna took her usual seat (which technically belonged to Bobby’s roommate, but since he was never here, she thought it would be safe to claim it as her own now) and began tucking in.

The second one to join her at the table was Donghyuk, who gave her a smile of greeting before taking his seat across the table from her. “D’you find a desk you like yesterday?”

“Yeah, it’s being delivered sometime today.”

“You know what time?” he asked, thanking Mrs. Kim for the breakfast. “If I’m not in class, I could help you move it up to your room.”

Anna grinned. “Really? That’d be great. Or we could do it later tonight, since I have orientation at the university lab today, and I’m not sure when it’ll end.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

“Saerim, if you don’t mind, would you be able to grab some fruit on your way home?” Mrs. Kim asked. “I have a list of errands that need to get done, and I forgot that we need fruit tonight.”

“Sure, Mrs. Kim. What for?”

“Yunhyeong said he’d like some fruit to make some dessert tonight, and since I haven’t been making any dessert for the past couple of weeks, I thought it would be a good idea. He said it was a family recipe.” Mrs. Kim wiped her wet hands on the towel hanging near the kitchen sink. “Oh, I forgot to ask him what kind of fruit he needs. I’m going to run to the bathroom, so if he comes down, will you ask?”

“Of course, Mrs. Kim.” She disappeared to the bathroom, and Anna and Donghyuk made small talk over their respective classes until Bobby emerged, wearing a black hoodie that swallowed his entire upper body and a pair of grey sweatpants. Yawning, he plopped down into the seat beside Anna, much to her amusement. “G’morning, Blobby. Are you always like this in the mornings?”

“Are you not?” He yawned again. “We just woke up.” He rested his head on the table, and Donghyuk snorted.

“One would think that you only sleep three hours a night, hyung.”

“Then one would be correct,” Bobby retorted before reluctantly adding, “just…twice as long.”

They were soon joined by another member of the sharehouse, and Anna’s eyes widened. “Oh, Mrs. Kim wanted to know what kind of fruit you wanted for the dessert you were planning to make tonight.”

He stopped short and blinked at her. “Huh?” Then he pointed to himself. “Me?”

Anna nodded. “Yeah, what kind of fruit do you need for your family recipe?”

He exchanged a confused glance with Bobby. “He…cooks?” Bobby asked, sitting up in his seat. “I didn’t think he did anything besides play games on his phone.”

“No, Mrs. Kim said he’d prepare dessert tonight, but she forgot to ask what kind of fruit he needs for it,” Anna shook her head. “Anyway, I’m gonna stop by a market on my way home tonight, so what kind of frui—?”

“Are you talking about Yunhyeong hyung?” he interrupted, giving her a rather irritated frown.

Anna blinked twice. “You’re…not Yunhyeong?”

Donghyuk, who’d been swallowing his guffaws from across the table, finally burst into laughter. “I told you that you guys looked similar!” He turned to Anna. “That’s Chanwoo.”

“Oh.” Anna stared at him in wonder. “I’ve never seen you without a cap. You really do look like Yunhyeong.”

Chanwoo didn’t offer any response, but his expression made it quite clear that he did not appreciate the comparison, which Anna didn’t understand. They’re both fairly good-looking boys. Why is he so offended? But to appease his clearly-unappreciative feelings, she got up from her seat to scoop him a bowl of food from the stove. “Here. Sorry for mistaking you for Yunhyeong.”

“Hey!” Bobby protested, sitting up. “I was here first!”

“Get your own food,” Anna rolled her eyes, taking her seat again. “I owed Chanwoo for not knowing who he was.”

Chanwoo shot Bobby a smug grin and sat at the table with a spoon. “Thanks, Saerim nuna.”

Grumbling, Bobby got to his feet and scooped himself some food. “Hot!” he yelped when the soup splashed against the sides of the bowl and burned the sides of his fingers. As soon as he dropped the soup ladle back onto the countertop, Yunhyeong—the real Yunhyeong—joined them with a cocked brow.

“Where’s Mrs. Kim?” he asked, picking up the ladle and wiping up the drops of stew that Bobby had left on the counter.

“I don’t know.” Donghyuk grinned at Anna. “Why don’t you ask Saerim here, Chanwoo?”

Anna’s face flushed in embarrassment. “Stop it.”

Yunhyeong frowned in confusion. “What’s going on?”

“She thought Chanwoo was you, hyung,” Donghyuk guffawed. “I knew you two looked alike. Junhoe thinks so too.” Anna wrinkled her nose, not all that pleased to agree with the obnoxious kid on something.

Yunhyeong’s nose wrinkled, and he exchanged looks of disgust with Chanwoo. “What in the world makes you think we look alike? I’m so much more attractive than him!”

Chanwoo snorted. “You wish, hyung. Were you ever given the School Ulzzang award?”

“No, but I received the ‘Most Likely to Become a Celebrity’ award,” Yunhyeong fired back.

“Even the way they argue is similar,” Bobby shook his head in disbelief. “They may as well be twins.” He blinked in surprise at the glower the two shot at him. “I take that back. We should call them the twin monsters from now on.”

“Twin monsters?” Donghyuk repeated with a grin. “That’s catchy.”

“No, it’s not!”

Orientation took much longer than Anna had been expecting. They ran through all the lab safety protocol once more—of course she understood the importance of doing so, but it didn’t mean that she needed to be told things she already knew—

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter