chapter 02

One day I'll get you for that, Jungkook!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

chapter 02

"I'm free!"

 

 

 

"Higher," Song Nari told me, her voice soft and I had troubles to understand her. Couldn't she be speaking a little bit louder? But I complied anyway, sung a G instead of an F. I noticed that the girls around me all were gaping as to how high the note has been.

"That is the note I wanted to hear. You are going to keep holding that note until the song is finished, alright? Make your voice softer, don't let it be present. People should feel allured, not pressed to enjoy it." She said, her voice still soft and completely different to how my voice had been before. I obeyed and repeated the note but, this time, letting my voice be soft and gentle. Nari smiled, her eyes closed and I clearly could see the enjoyment on her face.

"This is right, Areum," She nodded approvingly. "Now, boys and girls, please from the beginning."

We all stood straighter, shoulders not slouched, and kept our gaze at Nari, who indicated us the beat of the song with quick hand moves. The basses and the tenors started first, building the base of the song. The altos followed and we, the sopranos, waited until Nari gave us the cue to sing.

I watched her face closely, saw how her eyes flicked over the members of our choir. Then she frowned and her gaze slid to us, precisely me, and her fingers dropped to the beat.

I took a deep breath before notes started to escape my mouth. I couldn't help but look at Nari, earning a nod from her, making me feel relieved for getting it right. I wasn't bad at singing, to be exact I was actually really good in it -something that somehow every Jeon could do, Jungkook and I included. It just happened that it was somehow the only thing I was really good at because dancing was a no-no for me unlike for Jungkook.

While singing, I felt someone looking at me urgently and inwardly I rolled my eyes because I knew exactly who wanted me to look back. I knew I should ignore him, I really should, but I still switched my gaze to my baby brother, who was standing a few rows under me. 

We were both the best singers in the choir and even if I didn't have a single problem with sharing that title, Jungkook always wanted to outdo me and be better. I wasn't very competitive but his behaviour got the best out of me so I always found myself challenging him back.

As soon as Jungkook noticed that I could see him, he started pulling ugly faces. I tried hard not to laugh and pinched my arm in order to hold back. I knew what Jungkook wanted: He wanted me to disturb the rehearsal so that Nari would send me home. He didn't have a particular reason to do that, he just liked seeing me in trouble.

My eyebrow twitched in annoyance but I continued singing nevertheless while looking straight into his eyes to challenge him. Just wait, you punk. I won't get in trouble this time.

His lips continued mouthing the words to the song we were singing as if nothing was happening but I could see that his eyes were fixated on me; his eyebrows raising in a cocky attitude.

I really tried to keep looking arrogant to show him that I wasn't affected by him and fortunately, it worked most of the time. That was until we were half down the song when the tenors and the sopranos didn't have to sing. Jungkook kept a blank face until it suddenly contorted into an ugly grimace. It looked so silly that I accidentally snorted out loud thus getting looks from the girl next to me. 

I immediately clamped my hand over my mouth to suppress a laugh. 

That rascal! 

He knew that I was lacking in my defence, thinking he was going to stop. I refused to look at him now, fixating my gaze at Nari who didn't seem to have heard my snort. Relieved, I exhaled, waiting for my cue to sing. As I was rubbing my hands to keep myself entertained, I felt the sudden urge to look at Jungkook again, to see if he was still looking at me and trying.

So discretely, I peeked at Jungkook and immediately started giggling lightly again. , he was still doing that move. Areum, get a grip on yourself!

After witnessing the impact Jungkook's faces had on me, I forbid myself to look over to Jungkook again and tried to concentrate on the song but it was hard. The urge of knowing whether Jungkook continued doing that move or not was too strong, so I bit my lips, thinking It's just gonna be a quick look then I'll never look at him again. 

Before I even finished my thought, I switched my gaze expectantly down the rows only to be greeted by the sight of Jungkook still dancing with his silly face. Before I could control myself another snort came out of my mouth; making me unleash a four-letter tirade inwardly.

I prayed that Nari didn't notice my little outburst but when I sneaked a peek at her, I found her glancing at me disapprovingly. My gaze slid to the ground; I was feeling guilty but nevertheless, I bit my lips in order to prevent some more giggles. Unfortunately, this held on until the soprano next to me nudged me with her elbow warningly. 

That was when I realized that I had to sing my solo note. My eyes quickly widened in shock and my mouth opened up, the soft G note coming past my lips almost instantly. Even though I hit the note perfectly, I still didn't miss the look Nari sent me.

My stomach turned because I knew what would happen once the rehearsal was over. My eyebrows furrowed as I shot a dirty look at Jungkook. It was, without a doubt, his fault -only his. If he hadn't shown me this face...a sigh wanted to come past my lips. 

Jungkook  knew how he got me into trouble.

When the song has ended, everyone was quiet, not even daring to look up because Nari looked mad and everyone knew better than to anger her more. It was one thing when she was annoyed -that was already scary enough, but when she was furious -as she was now- with smoke coming out of her ears then god beware.

"The rehearsal is finished for you, Miss Jeon. I will not allow such behaviour next time. Please leave the room." Her voice was soft and even if I didn't understand her again, I felt the threat to completely cut me out from choir hidden behind all the layers of soft and gentle. I didn't need to hear what she said though; her face said it all.

My shoulders slouched and my lips were pressed into a thin line. Great. This punk.

I glared at Jungkook. He was at fault if I was cut out from any further choir activities. I was going to tell it our parents if that happened. I wasn't going to let that kid off the hook that easily. 

When Jungkook caught my look, his lips stretched into a cheeky smile, making his bunny teeth stick out in a harassing manner.

"What's the matter, Mr. Jeon?" Nari chirped in, her voice getting stricter and I bit my lower lip to hold myself from smiling victoriously. "Why are you laughing? You are allowed to your sister."

At least, he got into trouble as well.

When Nari didn't continue talking we knew it was our time to go. So Jungkook and I took our bags and heade

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter