In Over Your Head

Spy Academy

Sera reached into her closet and pulled out her uniform. It was a red plaid skirt and a tan blazer. She tied her hair up in a ponytail and made her way to her first class. 

-

Her classroom was fairly easy to find. When she walked in, she noticed the boy that had helped her with her lugage sitting in the corner. The light from the window brightened the area around him like a spotlight. He looked up at her and smiled.

Sera awkwardly smiled back and quickly took a seat far away from him.

Once the teacher entered, class began. It was mathematics. Sera struggled to keep up with the teacher and was fairly sure that none of the material sunk into her brain. She looked around the room to see if anyone else was feeling as confused as she was. All the other students were busily writting at their desks. None of them seemed to be as lost as her.

After math, the students stayed seated while the teacher left and the next teacher arrived. The next class was English literature and yet again, Sera struggled. Then, before she knew it, class was over and the students were sent to go change into their gym uniforms.

-

The gym uniform was fairly simple. Just a t-shirt and some grey sweatpants. After the class finished getting dressed, they all met outside on the field. The coach was there waiting. She was muscular blonde woman wearing a track outfit and a visor. The look on her face said that she had been waiting a while, and was not too happy about it. Standing there with her were three boys.

"Good afternoon class" She talked loudly, to insure that everyone would hear her. "This is your physical training class. In this class we will be enhancing your skills in combat, strength, and endurance." She turned to the boys beside her. "To my right, are three upperclassmen, some of them you may have heard of." Then she told the boys to introduce themselves. 

The tallest one spoke up first. "Hello, my name is Shownu. I'm a senior here at Grandview Academy"

Sera recognized Shownu, he was the guy she saw training yesterday after the orientation. 

When Shownu finished, the next person spoke up. "My name is Kihyun, I'm also a senior" He smiled when he spoke, showing his friendly attitude. 

The last boy stood there waiting for his turn. "Hey!" he said excitingly "I'm Jooheon"

The coach then took over the attention of the students "These gentlemen will serve as student assistants, to help you during training. Alright now class, let's begin."

Next the coach made them first warm up with stretches and jumping jacks. Sera was already beggining to feel tired. Then they moved onto the obstacle course.

The coach took a minute to explain the course while Shownu took the liberty of demonstating it. "First begin by running through the tires, try to concentrate on your feet. Then crawl under the barbed wire, make sure to use your knees as well as your fore arms, and finally you'll need to jump the wall"

All of it sounded fairly simple, and Shownu made it all look easy. Sera couldn't imagine it being that difficult. 

"Once you finish, go ahead and go on inside." The coach finished her instructions "You may begin"

Sera anxiously awaited her turn behind the others. She watched as the other students made their way through the course. Most of them did it with ease. Some of the others struggled, but made it through none of the less. 

Finally it was her turn. Sera went through the the tires without much trouble. Then dove down and crawled under the wires. She could hear the sound of Shownu's voice yelling at her to go faster, but she tried to drown him out and focus on crawling. When she got up she felt pain in her knees. Sera started to realize how out of shape she really was.

Then it was time to move on to the wall. It stood ten feet tall, wooden, and smooth. She looked at it and tried to find a way to climb it, but it looked impossible.

"C'mon cadet, get moving" Shownu yelled.

Sera wanted to, but didn't know how to go about it. She just stood there, looking confused.

"Ms.Park! We don't have all day!" The coach yelled.

All of the students behind her started to grow impatient. "Climb the wall!" one of them yelled.

"But...How...?" Sera decided the best thing to do was to make an attempt. She took a deep breath, stood a few steps back, and jumped up to the wall. She thought she could maybe grab the top but she didn't come anywhere close. She fell back and landed on her . When she turned to look at her fellow classmates, they were all laughing. 

The coach just gave up at that point. "Alright, that's enough. Everyone inside!"

Sera watched as everyone walk into the gym giggling. She kicked the wall infrustration. 

-

Inside the gym, the other students were heading towards the locker room to change. Sera stoped to look at the leader board. It was a large screen with the top 20 names on it. She of course, wasn't on it. 

-

Back in her dorm room Sera started packing her things. She threw all of her belongings into her bags and stuffed them until they were full.

Minhyuk knocked on the door and slid it open. "Hey Sera, I brought you some pizza..." he noticed the suitcase on the floor and his eyes widened. "Where are you going?"

"I'm leaving" She annouced

"What? Why" He looked concerned.

She shrugged "I'm no match for this place. I don't even know what I'm doing here"

Minhyuk put his pizza down on the table. "Stop" he closed the suitcase to stop her from packing. "You can't go"

"I have to. I'm a joke. I don't fit into this school like the others. I'm not athletic, or smart."

"So what!" He argued "No one is perfect from the start"

Sera laughed. "You obviously haven't seen my classmates"

"C'mon Sera, give it another chance" Minhyuk's face filled with desperation.

"I'm sorry Minhyuk, it's just not for me" Sera grabbed her suitcase and walked out of the room.