fin

lukewarm

Her hands dip into the cold ripples of the ocean shore and the idea of falling adrift into a sweet lullaby sleep counters her thought of dying. Never has she thought about the horrendous death to bestow upon her if decides to stay a little longer by the starry night shore of silent waves and salty air.  It never occurs to her she may ever encounter such a creature, but she's heard the word spread.

 

The little fairy tales bouncing off of one another’s tongues, fine for scaring the children. Myths that scatter throughout generations, great for nighttime stories. But too bad Chaeyoung was stuck between being a girl and lost in a trip to womanhood.

 

A simple age of seventeen.



 



 

The sails flap above her, hitting against the mid–spring wind. Red and blue stripes blur her vision along with the burning of the afternoon sun and she can't help but to find the ocean inviting. Mosaic of translucent blue ripples in the water till who knows how long as a variety speckled fish waft past from beneath the sailboat. She leans over, stomach pressed tight on the edge and her hands carefully drops into the cool, azure incandescent mosaic. It's shortly before her uncle tells her to move away, pulling on the collar of her shirt. Chaeyoung pulls away indecisively feeling heat stick against her skin.

 

“What are you doing?” He croaks.

 

“...nothin’.”

 

She sits back down, watching the man reel back his deep green tinted fishing rod right across his shoulder, whipping it towards the blue abyss. Without a doubt, she hears the hook plop into the water among the stillness.

 

“Pick yours up and come over here.” Her uncle points to the second fishing rod laying beside her and motions her over. The rod rattles in her hand, the hook and line held gently tucked together. She takes a seat right next to him with an uncomfortable cough hanging at the back of .

 

“So about that. You told me you’re good at catchin’ fish,” he coughs out, “you think you got what it takes to beat this old man?”

 

A small smile props onto her lips. “Definitely.”



 



 

The boat ends up being docked by the end of the afternoon, the sun already spewing into colors of deep orange, mystic dark blue, fiery red–uncountable colors to one. Chaeyoung wobbles out, handing back the rod in a pleasing thank you in one hand, the other brushing back her toasted chestnut dyed hair behind her ear.

 

“See ya.”

 

And a grumble comes from the other side. “See you.”

 

She parts way from her uncle, bidding a simple goodbye as they’d both got to get home. A wife and child waiting for her uncle, a mom and a dad waiting at the other end for her too. She her clicks tongue, fumbling with the box of matches sitting at the bottom of jacket pocket, along with a few pieces of paper folded down. The box plays in her hand, slight boredom poking her sides.

 

She remembers the bittersweet tales of mermaids as she passes by the tall rocks everyone’s bound to talk about. The children whisper about dealing bets for candy to go in between the tall mounded rocks by the edge of the beach. And the crazy though spirals into Chaeyoung’s state boredom. It never occurs to her how dangerous it would be if she were to enter the beach at dark, unsure of her surroundings.

 

But she does anyway.

 

 

Chaeyoung slips in between a crack of the rocks, guiding herself along with the dimming sun of the afternoon. Barely making out in the dark area, Chaeyoung’s able to spot hitched rocks digging into the ocean water. She walks up one, sitting by the edge in fascination, never to have though such a simple place to have existed behind the rocks. The howling wind says another thing as chill cascade down her spine and goosebumps scatter her skin.

 

She doesn't notice the large rock’s end as she continues walking towards the edge. She catches herself last minute, stopping herself last minute as she points her shoe out. Feeling that there’s nothing there, Chaeyoung crouches down. Though she would’ve though the peaceful standing would stay, a roaring splash echoes and she stiffens in surprise. The bubbling excitement flips her stomach back and forth as she looks down over the edge. Leaning a too forward, Chaeyoung nearly slips into water by mistake and judging from the scenery above, Chaeyoung couldn't spot anything below but rushing water.

 

It must’ve too quick for Chaeyoung to realize what was happening as a pair of hands pull her toward the high rise water. She falls in easily, the ocean water rising above her shoulders nearly swallowing her whole. Prying her eyes open into the dark pool of waves, her eyes burn against the salt, water rushing onto her face. Flailing her arms in the water, Chaeyoung twists within someone’s grasp, reaching for the surface. As her lungs beg for oxygen, a moving work of a fishtail brushes by her legs. An urgent scream rushes up before she remembers she’s underwater, lacking a breath of air.

 

Chaeyoung thinks she’ll end up coughing up her lungs at seventeen, burning her gastric organs with a little bit of coral blue or maybe she'll end up choking out the whole ocean body too.

 

Something presses up against her chest and she’s hoisted back above the water with a pair of arms securely wrapped around and under. Hair matted on her face, eyes still blurred, Chaeyoung barely makes out what’s in front of her. The night air whips across her face as does the shock that’s widening her eyes. A pair of surprised eyes themselves shimmer in brown in the dark as she leans close.

 

Romanticizing them or demonizing them. Making them out to be with creatures with eyes of exotic colors that’ll send people into a trip across the galaxy and  their voices were apparently to be made from the god itself, crafting their luring looks into bait. But it was rather a feminine young girl looking right back at her, eyes cowering in fear. She holds her as it seems to be the most uncommon thing to do where her hands hesitantly grips across her waist. It would’ve normal for the mermaid to have easily let her slip down into the ocean’s black hole, consuming her from the inside out. Instead, they were both shaking in the dark lilac of the ocean, gleaming like ebbed lights at night.

 

An immediate awe escapes her lips no matter how her vision refused to retain to its normal state. Chaeyoung chokes down the scratchy cough that wishes to erupt from up her lungs to her burning throat. “Oh my–my g–god.”

 

Her finger presses on Chaeyoung's lips and the words she wanted  to make out seem to be, “don’t tell anyone.”  

 

With a finger weakly slashing across her heart, condemning a swear, she shakily mumbles. “I promise.”

 

She runs home after, following the dimming streetlights down in each dirt block. Boots clacking against the rough layering of jagged debri. The arising secret blooms in her chest, releasing the kaleidoscope butterflies to fluttering joy.

 

She gets home to the high rise smell of cigarettes and home baked cookies. The pleasing aesthetic is what anyone would’ve called it. She peeks into the door, closing it softly with a small creak.

 

“Chaeyoung!”

 

Meeting eyes of worry, her mother lunges out from the frisky leather couch, rushing over with open arms, but that's before she stops herself. Her mother drags her eyes up and down, settling with the final conclusion her daughter had come with soaking wet clothes in middle of the night. “Chaeyoung where were you?! Why are your clothes wet?”

 

There’s a faint moment of horrible silence as she tries to pry her sight behind her mom to the man sitting astray in his seat. Her father sits with the same old branded cigarette between his ghastly pale lips as he blooms out a puff of vintage smoke that’ll one day tar his organs from the inside out.

 

She doesn't have the urge to ever tell them.

 

And she never will because in the end they’ll think she’s gone out of her mind.


 



 

The tall rocks continue to scream at her, beg at her to swing by the next day and Chaeyoung did. She passes between the smooth bumpy rocks as she has done before into the small opening. Her fingers fumble nervously against the buttons on her shirt. She decides to stick its name as her own secret hideout, hidden from the others. Such a thing makes her feel like the little child she used to be, clinging onto those little hopes and dreams.

 

As it was much more clear than previous night, the small opening led to something lot like an opening of a cave, with an entrance to the sun’s light above. Chaeyoung took a short glance around and began to prod in the sand to a cluster of rocks mounding into the ocean. And she remembers the blurry night that’s never left her mind.

 

The rocks kept a clear open view of the ongoing sea and bright morning sun. With the trance still wavering in Chaeyoung’s head, she plopped down onto the rocks, letting her legs dangle over the edge. She grabs several pebbles lying beside her, chucking one into the water, watching the wave swallow the small ripple that had formed a second ago. She continues a few times, letting the pebbles bury deep into the water.

 

Chaeyoung closes her eyes and leans back on her palms, inflicting the light breeze as it ruffles her short hair and grazes her cheeks. The sounds of splashing water breaks her out this dreamlike trance, and she opens her eyes just in time to see a large fishtail disappear into the water a few feet front. A surge of panic rattles her insides as she figures it must've been something else and she lifts her feet out of the water.

 

But a second thought coincides. Chaeyoung reminisces the shiny shimmering glow as the mosaic ocean water. Scales of radiant blue and green penetrates her vision. As realization comes in quick, Chaeyoung picks off another pebble, fingers shaking with excitement. She flicks it into the same direction where she had seen tail drop back to ocean and wait. Quiet stillness came up in the end without a single living creature popping out but the seagulls’ wails flying above in circles.

 

It must've been at least an hour Chaeyoung sat waiting for something–anything to come emerging from the water. Silence however engulfed the time along with the vinyl scenery. Disappoint lounging in her eyes, she picked herself off the rock, giving one last look down into the water. But something catches in between her sight in a few feet in front her, a head with soft color of brown hair sticking out from the surface of the water. Just as the moment her eyes catch the same dark dirty tainted brown orbs peering into hers from last night, Chaeyoung’s eyes widen.

 

They disappear once more as Chaeyoung climbs down the subtle rocks, a sigh easily huffing out the moment after. She easily slips off her boots, along with her socks and they’re thrown halfheartedly behind her. Nervously rolling up her pants just above her ankle, Chaeyoung in a deep breath.

 

She prods just behind the rocks from where she was sitting, having the water rise a little bit above her ankles. The creature comes in her vision, her arm draped over a rock, head in her other hand. Chaeyoung bites down her lower lip, trying to keep quiet and hidden. However today didn't seemed to go in her favor as a loud abrupt sneeze rattles out.

 

A frightened look occurs in both Chaeyoung’s and the creature’s face. A defensive glare shoots out from the creature’s eyes, an unsure look. She nearly recognizes Chaeyoung’s face from last night, all shaken fear, but it was Chaeyoung who decides to speaks first. “He–hey,” she coughs out, “hello.”

 

The creature or what Chaeyoung has thought to be a mermaid, cowers behind one of the smaller rocks she was once leaning on. Chaeyoung walks closer though, splashing across the ankle deep tide that swept in. “I won't hurt you.”

 

The mermaid drops her stiff shoulders, staring back with a confused look, creasing her brows.

 

Realization strikes her at the last minute. “Oh, sorry. I forgot...you don’t understand me that well do you?” Chaeyoung stares at her growing even more dazed at the sudden spoken language, she hits the side of her head out her own stupidity. “Of course you don’t understand. Why would I even bother asking you.” She crouches down in the end, sticking a hand out, palm out. “I’m Chaeyoung.”

 

Raising her eyebrows, the mermaid hesitates, but tries to pronounce the name. “Cha–a–youn?”

 

Chaeyoung manages to giggle at the little mistake as she finds the creature fit to speaking the foreign language endearing. “Chae–young.” Chaeyoung repeats for her once more, a bit slower.

 

“Chaae–youn.” Her distinct accent still plays strong as she takes in another deep breath.

 

“No, no. Chaeyoung.”

 

“Chaaeeyoung?”

 

“Yeah you got it! Good job!” A toothy grin spreads across Chaeyoung’s face congratulating the creature’s accomplishment. “How about you?” She points back at her.

 

The creature shifts in the water for a moment before grasping the situation, and immediately she points back at herself, possibly speaking her foreign name. “Tzuyu!” She gleams in pride, lurching her upper body out from the water.

 

“Tzuyu,” Chaeyoung repeats, “what a nice name.” Her eyes quickly drop to the shimmering fishtail, and her hand reaches out, "May I?" she asks, looking back at Tzuyu’s face. Tzuyu, understanding what she was asking for, nods. When her fingers glide along the scales of the fish-tail, it definitely wasn't what he had been expecting. It slid slick and wet from being the water so long, Chaeyoung’s finger easily slipped off. The scales sparkle under the light of the sun, causing several shades of green and blue to shine through. The sight was unlike anything Chaeyoung had ever seen, and the situation still felt completely unreal, but real. She has heard of these kind of creatures in story books, tales, myths, but never has she believed that they were actually real. She thought it was just her uncle telling crazy stories after being out at sea for so long.

 

But she guesses it was one of those one in a lifetime things.


 


 

Chaeyoung comes by sometimes with a loaf of bread, but today a pocket full of strawberries sat in her bag. She was running a little late than before the past few days she visited and it was surprising when she found Tzuyu laying down on the same spot, waiting. She couldn't hold the urge to find everything about Tzuyu so beautiful. From her nicely sequined tail to her smooth silky brown hair, Chaeyoung could sit all day complementing every little about her. But the last time she tried, Tzuyu barely understood a word.

 

As soon as Tzuyu’s sight lands on Chaeyoung, her eyes light up in a sparkle. A gleeful smile spreads on her lips as she waves a hand. “Chaeyoung!” Chaeyoung returns it with a wave back and a little bit of her toothy grin, holding in churning of stomach.

 

It's been like that for the past few days Chaeyoung manages to visit her when she secretly leaves home or when she easily lies she's going over to Dahyun’s. And on those days, Chaeyoung brings along a pack crayons and a sketchbook too, all bouncing about in her bag. The crayons and sketchbook ends  up helping Tzuyu learn more about the foreign language and back. It works as a simple system where Chaeyoung would first introduce a new word, then simple drawing the basic meaning to it. From the words water, sand, rocks, to bread, nose, feet, eyes, and mouth, Tzuyu strangely caught on quickly with the language.

 

Today, Chaeyoung sits perched on a rock as Tzuyu lays in small pulling of the ocean tide next to her. Her boots lay abandoned by the side as she pats her bare feet against the water as usual. Cold and chilling, Chaeyoung opens her bag and to Tzuyu’s excitement, and pulls out a piece of bread. Tzuyu’s eyes glisten in excitement, thankfully taking the piece from Chaeyoung’s hand.

 

“Bread?”

 

Chaeyoung nods. “Bread.”

 

Tzuyu carefully tears the piece bit by bit, consuming it slowly. “Chaeyoung...eat?”

 

“Don't worry,” Chaeyoung softly responds, “I've got this.” Her hand rummages into her bag, popping back out a container of hand picked strawberries, all of bright red. “Strawberries, Tzuyu. These are strawberries.”

 

Astounded by something new, Tzuyu leans close examining the fruit in Chaeyoung's hand. “Straaw–berry.”

 

“Yep, strawberry.” Chaeyoung pops one into , taking out the green stem. “Try one Tzuyu.” She sticks her hand out over to the mermaid as she stares hesitant of tasting something completely new. It rolls over to her hand, red and plump. She lifts is carefully to , doing exactly what Chaeyoung did. Even though her dietary possibly consists of fish and strangely bread, Tzuyu gives it taste. Her face scrunches up when she finishes swallowing the berry and she narrows her eyes back at Chaeyoung.

 

“Strawberry, tastes...bad.”

 

Chaeyoung gives her a shrug, popping another into . “Aw, that's too bad.” She puts the rest back into her bag, closed up into a container. “I'll bring you more bread next time.” The mention of a baked dough good brightens Tzuyu’s looks and Chaeyoung erupts into a laugh, patting the crown of her head.

 

“You’re really cute.”

 

Without a thought of knowing the meaning to word, Tzuyu’s cheeks decides to glow in a pink tint and Chaeyoung doesn't know whether to believe it.



 



 

Chaeyoung thinks it's been week and she can't help but to wonder how Tzuyu’s never let her swim with her. She remembers Tzuyu’s stubborn persistence pulling her back to the dry sandy shore, away from the roaring waves. A look of worry stretching across her face each time the water dwells a little over her knees.

 

Was it a driven fear she’ll end up drowning again? Or was it the worry she wasn't able to swim?Chaeyoung doesn't know where to put her finger at, but force her way in.

 

It happens the next time Chaeyoung meets Tzuyu, when her shoes are thrown off her feet and jacket is thrown off her shoulders. Before a word utters out Tzuyu’s mouth, Chaeyoung runs past her, indulging into the small pounding waves that bubble above her waist. She hears Tzuyu swim behind, calling her name in a frantic muffled shout. “Chaeyoung!” She grabs Chaeyoung’s arm, pulling on the back of her shirt. “Chaeyoung, no!”

 

“Why not?” Chaeyoung pesters back, standing still among the shallow water. “Do think I'll drown. Do think I'll die?”

 

A fierce nod places in for an answer as Tzuyu miraculously understood the words. “Chaeyoung, die in water,” Tzuyu mutters. Chaeyoung looks back down into Tzuyu’s eyes that fill with undoubtful fear and it shakes realization into Chaeyoung’s head.

 

The first time Chaeyoung met Tzuyu was when she nearly drowned. Where Tzuyu accidentally killed her. It a mere blurry accident Chaeyoung barely could make out ever since it happened. The thought she could've almost died never occurred to her, never scared her as everything felt like living dream.

 

“I'm sorry,” spills from Chaeyoung's lips, a plenty thousand more to come if needed. “I won't go into the water.” Chaeyoung gives Tzuyu an understanding smile, but she presses her nose together, shutting her eyes close before dipping her body all down into the water. A cold urge of the ocean rushes against her and Chaeyoung stands back up soaking head to toe the second. She opens her eyes to Tzuyu looking baffled in horror as she leans closer to Chaeyoung’s face.

 

“Chaeyoung’s okay?”

 

A smile reaches up to her lips. “Chaeyoung’s okay. I didn't drown.” Chaeyoung lifts her arms up into the air, proving no harm done and innocently places a kiss on Tzuyu’s cheek. “You can stop worrying about me drowning now. I'm fine.”

 

A blush scatters across her face and Tzuyu shies away behind her hands. A sloppy giggle mats along with  her wet hair and Chaeyoung trudges heavily in soaking clothes back to the dry sand. Tzuyu follows behind, curiously touching the lingering kiss left behind.



 



 

It was another day Tzuyu decides to brush her lips against Chaeyoung’s, trailing her fingers along the collar of her shirt. Curiosity kills her, the thought of what a kiss may be wonders in the back of her head. She pulls back almost immediately as Chaeyoung stares back questioningly.

 

“Chaeyoung…” Her voice rings like magic, and Chaeyoung let’s go of the breath she’s been holding in.

 

Tzuyu dips in for another kiss, leaving the same salty sweet taste lingering as Chaeyoung would do the same. There's a little hint of strawberry when Chaeyoung kisses back and though Tzuyu’s come to detest the taste, she doesn't mind in the end.

 

She never does.

 

Nothing makes sense when Chaeyoung closes her eyes for more, more of sweet candy littered kisses down from her lips to her neck. It all makes sense to her somehow when her lips collide with Tzuyu’s, it’s all for the experience curiosity has built upon.

 

And something along the mess of kisses, she hears an I love you and she stops believing. So maybe after this whole mess she’ll actually wake up somewhere else and not in Tzuyu’s arms. Or she’ll be dreaming, making this whole thing up back at her uncle’s boat.

 

When she opens her eyes, she hopes she’s not back at home or at the red and blue striped sailboat sitting in the middle of nowhere.

 

She wants to be with her, with Tzuyu, who possibly could be a figment of her imagination. A part of her wild crazed dream, a wishful thinking.

 

Her eyes meet somewhere along Tzuyu’s starry brown ones and she catches herself falling back into the ocean. Her eyelids grow heavy, a yawn creeping up against . She decides it’s finally time to take a short break and sleep.


 



 

“Chaeyoung! Quit takin’ a nap and wake up!”

 

Her eyes flutter awake at her uncle’s sailboat, and she was back to being that same seventeen year old girl again.

 

Nothing different. Nothing special.

 

The line attached her uncle’s rod begins to shake and he starts reeling it in. She watches him pull in a sequined fish of radiant blue and green, glistening against the sun’s rays. “Oh, look at that!” He boasts. “Caught another!”

 

Chaeyoung stares absentmindedly, still drowsy from sleep. A tang of anger sweeps her emotions and she grabs her fishing rod.

 

She should’ve known, she should've known how it must’ve been her imagination all along.

 

It was the imagination of a teen in her mid-life crisis and her delusional carriages of sweet candied dreams. So no wonder mermaids are a bunch curiosity built tales and childish myths.

 

Maybe it really was true that they don't exist.

 

And Chaeyoung sighs, simply dipping her hand into the ripples of the ocean waves only to find it lukewarm in her touch.






 

a/n:this is the worst i’ve written?!?!! idk really, but I wanted to make a mermaid au. (though it really isn't)

thank u for all the subscriptions and I'll appreciate comments too!!

//unedited