New Years

New Years - Kai

Two firm knocks came from your front door, turning your head around, you quickly bookmarked your place on the page as you slipped from the couch and trotted up to your front door. Rising to the tips of your toes, you peeked through the peep hole, quickly unlocking the door, you opened it seeing your friends, Suho and Luhan standing on the other side of your door.

“Hey guys, what’s going on?” You cheerfully answered, your hand playing with the door handle as you leaned against the corner of the door.

“Ah nothing much since we just came back from practice….” Luhan’s gaze slowly dropped to his fingers fiddling with one another.

“Well… we actually wanted to invite you to a New Years Eve party that our group is putting on.” Suho slowly extended his hands, offering you the invitation that seemed to be homemade.

“Don’t worry it won’t be anything too fancy, we just want to welcome in the new year with friends since we aren’t able to go home this year…” Luhan’s gaze lifted to yours as you smiled at him slightly sad that they weren’t able to go home and be with their families.

“I-If you aren’t doing anything, we would love for you to join us, there will be dancing and games and food too” Suho added as you smiled and accepted the invitation that was still offered to you.

“Of course! That sounds a lot better than being alone in my apartment” You smiled, looking over the card with care as everyone of Exo had signed their names and drew a little something on the card.

“Great! We will plan on you being there then!” Luhan happily chimed up.

“All the information should be on the card, but if you have any questions, you know where we live” Suho smiled as you nodded and thanked them.

“Have a good night, sweet dreams too!” Both of them bid you after they heard their names being called from their room.

“See you two soon!” You called back, making sure they were inside their rooms before you closed your door.

Your eyes dropped down to the card between your fingers once more as you smiled brighter than you had before. Pressing one of your hands against your heated cheeks, you shook your head and took a breath trying hard not to get too excited over this little gesture that they extended to you.

“Hrmmm I wonder if I have anything presentable…. I have to look kind of nice since I am sure they didn’t invite everyone in the building…” You mumbled to yourself as your index finger lightly tapped against your lips.

Wondering back over to the couch, you resumed your previous position among the cushions of the couch before pulling your book back into your lap. Your eyes resumed their spot on the page and began reading a few more pages to the end of the chapter. Marking your place, a yawn slipped from your lips as you began cleaning up your apartment for the night and making your way back to your bedroom.

Pinning up the invitation on your magnate board, you carefully turned down your bed before skipping over to your closet. Perusing through your clothes, you pulled out a few possibilities for outfits and hung them up in the bathroom for you to narrow down on which one you would wear to the party.

Flipping off all of the lights, you snuggled under the covers of your bed as wonderful thoughts of the party and hanging out with friends your own age filled your mind as you drifted off to sleep.

A couple nights later, you found yourself standing in front of your bathroom mirror, holding up outfits to yourself unable to decide between three. Ruffling your hair in frustration, you knew that you needed to pick one but not knowing which one would be best was killing you. A hum came from your phone that rested on the counter top of the bathroom as it was brought to life with an incoming message.

Picking up your phone, you unlocked it with ease before your eyes read over the new message.

Hey! I just wanted to remind you of the party tomorrow night and make sure that you are still able to come :) - Sehun

Positioning your thumbs to reply to his message, you your lip gently before bringing it between your teeth and biting down on your lip carefully.

I am still planning to come to the party… but I was wondering if you or someone over there is willing to help me choose an outfit…

Sending the message, you glanced up at your reflection again to see the outfits handing up along the shower rod. Sighing, you thought of which one you would like to wear, a cute dress with boots and leggings, a cute layered top with a nice skirt and heels, or a cute hoodie with jeans and sneakers.

I’ll be right over with Chanyeol :) - Sehun

Reading his message, you headed out of the bathroom and just as you walked through the kitchen, you heard their knocking on the door. Their knocks making a rhythm getting you to smile as you unlocked the door.

“Need some fashion advice?” Chanyeol stood there proudly, his hands tucked behind his back while he wore an amazing outfit like always.

“Yes please” You nodded as you opened the door wider for them to come in. They slipped off their shoes while their eyes slowly traveled around your apartment.

“Wow, your place is really clean, it looks so big compared to ours” Sehun smiled as the two of you waited for Chanyeol to untie his boots.

“Thank you, I don’t have other people with me, so it is easier to keep it clean” You told him before leading the two guys into your bedroom.

“Even your bedroom is pretty” Sehun gawked as you blushed and lowered your head a little, covering your smile with your hand.

“Make yourself at home and I can show you the outfits that I thought of so far…” You offered

“Sounds good to me” Chanyeol smiled as he nodded, nodding back, you headed to the bathroom to change into your first outfit, the dress with leggings.

“She has such a pretty room, we should really spend more time over here” Chanyeol smiled as you heard them bounce a little on your bed.

“If we spent some more time over here, then her place wouldn’t nearly be as clean” Sehun mumbled as you finished up dressing.

“She wouldn’t be as lonely” Chanyeol sang quietly trying to keep you from hearing with little success.

“Here is outfit one…” You opened the bathroom door and stepped out, your fingers playing with one another as you took small steps and stood in front of them.

“Wow that is very pretty” Sehun managed to say through the loss of words that jumbled his tongue.

“Please turn for me, please” Chanyeol laid on his stomach on your bed as his chin rested in the palm of his hand as you slowly turned so he could see the outfit.

“That’s a possibility, but you pull it off really well” Chanyeol commented as you smiled and nodded.

“I’ll be back with outfit two” You told them before stepping back into the bathroom and changing into the skirt and mixed top combo.

Soft mumbling was heard through the door, however you weren’t able to make out any of the words or phrases specifically. Stepping out in your second outfit, you did the same thing, watched their reaction then Chanyeol’s finger twirled signaling you to turn slowly. Turning around, you watched their eyes as their heads both shook ‘no’. Returning to the bathroom, you changed into the last outfit.

“This is the last one” You told them as you turned around, this time in a hoodie and jeans.

“It isn’t bad, I kind of like the concept” Chanyeol tilted his head to one side. “Do you mind if I look in your closet just to see if we have explored all of your options?”

“Go right ahead” You pointed to the door to your closet as he got up and trotted to your closet, flipping on the light, you heard the hangers slide over the iron rod as you shifted nervously from one foot to another as you waited for him to come back out.

“You looked really pretty in all three, but one was just too formal, this one isn’t formal enough…” Sehun tried to talk to you, seeing your nerves show a little, “But don’t worry, we won’t leave until you have the perfect outfit to wear”

“Thank you” You bowed to him politely before Chanyeol came trotting out with a beautiful toupe off-the-shoulder sweater

“Try this with those jeans” Chanyeol advised with a twinkle in his eyes.

Nodding, you spun on your heels and changed into the sweater, peering at your reflection in the mirror, you turned your body slightly and placed your hand on your hip before you walked out in front of your audience of two again.

“So? What do you think?” You asked, turning around slightly, their jaws were slightly dropped after you turned for them and saw their reactions.

“That’s it” Sehun whispered in awe. Chanyeol tapped his chin slowly before he walked over to you and undid your hair, allowing your hair to cascade over your shoulders, he smiled and nodded.

“That’s perfect, just choose a necklace and some tall boots or heels and you are good to go” He smiled proudly as you looked down at your outfit.

It was something that you hadn’t thought of but you really liked it, the outfit made you feel festive and comfortable as well as beautiful and confident.

“Thank you guys for coming over, I will see you tomorrow night at the party then?” You questioned as they got up from your bed and bowed at you.

“We are glad that you could help you out tonight” Sehun smiled and bowed to you as you walked the two of them out.

“One second thought…. maybe you shouldn’t wear that.. there will be a lot of guys and you may attract attention” Chanyeol tried to step back into your place as you just smiled and laughed a little.

“I think I can handle it, I have to show off Designs by Chan” You teased as they stepped out into the hallway.

“Alright, we will see you tomorrow night, have a good night” They waved playfully before walking back to their place. Closing the door behind them, you walked over to your floor to ceiling windows that overlooked the city as you focused on your reflections in the panels of the windows.

Moving your eyes up and down your form, at first you didn’t like the outfit but the more you twisted your body slightly and the longer you looked at it the more you loved it and felt happier and empowered with every passing second.

Laying out your outfit for tomorrow, you flicked off the lights for the night and closed your eyes while excitement began to build within you.

The next day came quickly as you started getting ready for the party early, starting with a shower, you then let your hair dry as you put in a load of laundry and read another chapter of your book. Seeing the time inch closer to when you had to leave, you headed into your bedroom and carefully changed into the already determined outfit. Heading into the bathroom, you worked on your hair, curling your hair and making it look naturally beautiful. Pulling up a little hair on one side, you smiled as you added some slight makeup to your completion.

Happy with your look, you slid a gold heart shaped locket necklace around your neck as well as a gold thumb ring to match. Passing by the mirror, you gave your outfit a once over before slipping on some boots and headed outside of your apartment for the New Years Eve party.

The bass of the music could be felt half way up the flight of stairs as you trotted down the stairs and headed towards the commons room, where the party was being held. Rounding around the banister, a smile curled onto your lips as the music began to invade your veins, helping you get into the party mood.

Making your way to the french doors, you stepped inside, scanning the room carefully for any familiar faces. Everyone mingled as some people sat on the couches, food and drinks covered the kitchenette and the bar while there were people huddled around the Air Hockey, Foosball, and Pool tables.

Wondering around the perimeter of the party, you smiled at a few familiar faces before you poured yourself a drink.

“Hey, you should come over and be with us” Tao trotted over to you and brushed his shoulder against yours as he rested against the wall.

“Who is us?” You questioned, your fingers brushing against the red Solo cup between your hands.

“The guys, come on, it’ll be fun” He smiled and looped his arm with yours as you walked with him over to the group of guys. A smile outfitted your face as Chanyeol smiled at you and gave you a thumbs up.

“Hey guys” You smiled and waved to them cutely, some faces you had seen more often than others.

“This is _______, she is our neighbor and good friend, make her feel welcome” Tao told the members as he sat down on the couch as you sat on the arm rest.

“You look wonderful” Sehoon commented quietly

“Thank you” You whispered, bowing towards him as the other members chatted away happily. Listening in to their conversation politely, you moved your eyes from one member to the next, naming them off in your mind until you came to an unfamiliar face, where you couldn’t put a name to the face.

“Let’s go and play some games!”  Xiumin beamed as everyone stood up and moved towards the game tables. Splitting up, you lagged behind the others, watching a few of the guys play games, some of the members that weren’t playing would converse with you until their turn.

“Hey” A voice called from your side after a light tap on your exposed shoulder, turning your head in that direction you noticed the man that you couldn’t remember his name for the life of you, “Y-You’re _____ right?”

“I am, and you are?” You questioned trying to be as polite as you could be.

“I’m Jongin but most everyone calls me Kai” He bowed to you as you smiled and bowed back.

“I should have remembered that” You giggled, covering your smile with your hand slightly.

“It is okay, there are a lot of members and a lot more names” He smiles, his eyes slightly twinkling as they moved around your face, his heart beating slightly faster.

“Are you going to play a game?” You questioned, wondering if his turn was coming up next.

“Everyone gets too competitive, it is kind of fun to watch for a change” He shrugged his shoulder slightly under his beautiful red knit sweater.

“You sure? I heard you love to play games” You turned your body slightly towards him as he smirked and pulled his bottom lip in between his teeth.

“Maybe…” He chuckled, dropping his head a little as blush burned the shell of his ear.

“Why don’t we go play air hockey, it is no occupied right now” You pointed over towards the air hockey table as his eyes lit up happily. Nodding brightly, you two headed over to the table.

Grabbing one of the pushers, you went to one side of the table while Kai moved to the other side. Sliding the puck on the table, he smiled as he got low and the puck slowly slid over towards you, pushing it with the mallet, you smiled as the two of you tried to make it into the other person’s goal. After a long battle, you hit the puck hard and at just the right angle it slid into the goal as lights around the table celebrated your victory.

“Best out of three” Kai smirked as he retrieved the puck and slid it back on the table, with a smile curling your lips, you fought back as the puck moved back and forth between the two of you.

Putting up a good fight, the puck magically slipped past you and slipped into your goal. Lights sounded his victory in turn as he pumped a fist in the air. Shaking your head, you placed the puck down for the determining goal.

Battling back and forth, Exo began to gather around the two of you, the crowd taking sides and cheering one or the other along as you kept your eyes on his from across the table. Saving a few goal attempts, you happily pushed it back to him as his power was matchless yet one lucky shot let the lights shine as your side of the table cheered loudly.

“______ is the Champion” Kris smiled and wrapped his hand around your wrist before lifting it up into the air.

Everyone clapped and congratulated you as you headed over to Kai and held out your hand for him to shake.

“Good game” You smiled at him, his hand slipped into yours as he held it firmly as the two of you shook hands.

“It is about time for the countdown!” A distant voice called over the cheering.

Just like that, the crowd turned away from you and Kai and headed over towards the couches and the TV to watch the ball drop in the city.

“Are you excited for the new year?” Kai asked gently, the two of you staying over by the air hockey table.

“More or less” You shrugged your shoulders, “You?”

“A little excited and a little nervous” He confessed, slightly nodding his head.

“Do you have any special resolutions you want to do in the upcoming year?” You asked carefully, knowing you could be treading on thin ice.

“Treat others better, work on my short temper, keep dancing and reading more books. Spend time with friends and loved ones. Just keep getting better day by day so I can reach my potential.” He told you, slipping his fingers into his pockets, “What about you?”

Telling him your resolutions, you smiled as you saw the countdown light up the TV screen. Kai stepped over to the drink table and brought back two drinks, one for you and one for him.

“10… 9… 8…” You started, glancing over at Kai

“7… 6… 5…” He counted with you, your voice stopping to hear his as you quickly began counting with him again.

“4… 3… 2… 1…” The crowd joined you as the ball dropped to the bottom of the pole and confetti shot up into the air along with balloons and sparkles.

“Happy New Years Kai” You smiled at him, surprised that he heard you over the loud volume of the crowd.

“Happy New Years _____” He smiled, gently clinking his glass against yours. Wishing to see you a lot more in the new year.