Chapter 1: Just My Luck

The Oh-So-Annoying Demons

 O n e 


"I love you, Kang Mira."

"I love you too."

I closed my eyes and waited for his next move. I felt his body leaning towards mine, sending shivers down my spine. Brace for yourselves. In 3.. 2.. 1..

"Meow."

What?

"Meow."

I felt something wet touch my face. My forehead, to my cheeks, and my lip-

 

"Meow?" My eyes flung open in disappointment, I almost kissed a guy! Though it was only in my dreams, I thought I was about to. Well as you see, I am not one of those pretty or popular girls you probably think of. I am ugly. Yes you read that right, I am ugly. Not to mention I am a nerd. Well not most of the nerds are ugly, but I am actually just plain ugly. I have poor sense in fashion, I do not know how to style my hair, nor I have any knowledge in being a pretty- or a decent-looking person, I must say. 

It was cat. A black, fluffy, and furry cat. A cat was on my chest, just blankly staring at me, like he's staring right into my soul. I just looked at it, with confusion and the disappointment from earlier, before I shunned it off me. It squinted its eyes on me before it hissed and ran for the window. Before I question myself on why it was my face, I am pondering on why is there a cat in my small apartment room? And how the hell did it get here? From what I know, pets are not allowed in this apartment and I live at the freaking fifth floor of this building. There are also no trees for it to climb up.

 

I sighed and faced the long, winding stairs right outside my room. The elevator is broken again, like the sixth time this month. And the landlord looks like he has no plans in fixing this soon. So I have no other choice but to run down the stairs without getting late for my class. As I got out of the building, I saw the cat again. Its eyes squinting at me. I also noticed that it has a companion, a furry, black and white cat. It just laid down and stared at leaves being dragged by the wind. 

I ran as fast as I could. I only have 10 minutes left. On a scale of 1 to 10, how lucky am I- negative two? My classroom is located at the sixth floor of the third bulding, which is located at the farthest place inside the campus. Well I think I'm lucky enough to know that the elevator is working. I sprinted to the door of the room. I looked at my watch and noticed that I still have 30 seconds to spare. 30 freaking seconds. I sighed and turned the knob of the door.

Before I continue pushing the door, I heard something click. Something's off here, I thought. Since classes are going to start, I proceeded anyway. 

"Hey-"

Splash.

White paint pooled the ground from above, a metal bucket following its fall. The paint could've soaked me if it was not for someone, or something, who pulled me back so hard that I fell -first to the ground. My glasses fell to the ground but didn't break, and I thought my allowance is going to my glasses again that I have to eat only ramen twice a day for a month. I looked around who may savior was, but instead of someone, or a human to be specific, I saw the cat from earlier. Not the black one, but the black and white one. It stared at me and its paws, then it turned back to run away. 

I heard sighs and snickers audible enough to show their disappointment. The loudest one came from a girl with blonde, short hair, sitting on the other side of the room. She has been a classmate of mine for 2 months already and I have no idea what her name is, and I have no intention, because I don't care. I am here in this school to study, to graduate with a grade good enough to fish me a nice job, so I can support myself and live my life, like a normal person would.

"I thought she could be fun to play with," a guy from the back said as I made my way to the seat beside a window at the back of the room. I walked with my head hung low, ignoring everything he said. I just on my teeth, thinking that I still have to endure this all year long. Poor social life, annoying people, bullying- the list goes on. All that you can think of that destroys a teenager's school life, I'll have to endure it all.

The teacher came in as I sat my sorry on my chair. The teacher is a woman in her mid-thirties, someone who is actually a beauty but still has 'single' as her civil status. It's actually hard to believe since she has been always seen flirting with the other male members of the faculty. And I really thought that, that is against the rules. 

"Good morning class," she greeted with her oh-so-innocent bright smile that sent the guys in our class cheer "Good morning Ms.Song" out loud and happily.

 

Classes ended as usual. Nothing else happened after the 'white paint' incident, well, for me I guess. After the class with Mr. Jeon, Seokyeon, or whatever is name is, got sent to the infirmary for sitting on a chair embedded with tacks on it. It looks really, really painful. He was sent home after that. 

Two blocks before the apartment building, was a park with swings on it. A moment on a swing won't hurt right? I turned around and went for it. The swings has three seats on it. I sat on the one on the middle and started to play. The wind on my face feels good as I went swaying back and forth.

This actually brings me a lot of memories, well some, both good and bad, especially when I was still on my old orphanage. I miss everything in there. My friends, and the nuns who I treat as family. It was just really sad when everything got burned down to ashes. All the other kids including me were relocated and that's when we were separated, though I don't remember some of them at all. I got adopted by an old woman who took great care for me, she said that only took me since she needs company and she has no family left. Like how I am now, when she died two years ago.

I still cringe everytime I remember everything, though I managed to cope with it. But I knew I was strong, I wouldn't let things like this destroy me. Like how Sana told me. Sana was the name of the old woman who adopted me. She told me that I have to be strong, so I could live even when I am alone. I have to be independent. She taught me alot of good things and other things that will probably help me in life.

 

I returned to my senses as I saw a guy standing on the edge of the rooftop of the building right beside the park. He looks like he's about to jump- wait he is.

"No! Hey! Don't do it!" I jumped from my seat and screamed for the guy. A couple of people stared just stared at me and gave me funny looks, ignoring me as they continued to walk again. "Can't you see? Someone is about to die!" I pointed frantically at the guy on the rooftop. Some just shook their heads and some just laughed. Why can't they see him?

"Hey! Don't jump! Stay right there!" the guy turned his gaze my way but instead of getting down, he moved nearer the edge. I sprinted across the road and entered the building. I went as fast as I could and reached the top. I opened the door and saw no one. "What the hell?" I cursed as I was catching my breath.

I ran towards the spot where I saw the guy. There was no one. I leaned forward to check if he jumped already but there was no sign of him.I was about to step back when I felt two hands grip my arms from the back.

"Don't turn around," he said. I froze from the shock and did as he said. "Don't turn around or I'll push you off."

"I-I am not going to. Please don't!" I gulped and closed my eyes.

"How did you see me?" the guy asked. A bit of curiosity in his voice. Well isn't that obvious?

"I have eyes?" I answered sardonically. Sometimes I think that my clumsiness and my not-so-sarcastic mouth could lead me to my death, and this is that time.

"No! I mean, ugh," I felt the annoyance in his voice. "I am in my demon form, why can you see me?"


A u t h o r ' s N o t e :

Hi guys! So this is the first chapter and I hoped you like it. English is not my first language so if you found some mistakes then I'm so sorry, please do understand. <3