Moving Forward Part II

Don't Let Go

                With Changsun back, Amber was overjoyed that they were able to return to Karith and begin making their own efforts to find out what went wrong.  Per Hyesung’s insistence, they returned via carriage with Minho and Sungmin playing guards again.  Amber brought all the books she’d found possible information in and Changsun brought the ingredients and reagents they might need.  They only had two sevendays after all.  They would need to make them count.

                When they reached the site, they found that others had already been there.  Many places had been camped upon and the clear spaces scoured over with all manner of tools.  It felt strange and Changsun explained it was the residue from spells the other Mages had cast themselves to begin investigating.  For the comfort of everyone except Changsun, who was used to magic, they agreed to camp outside the area.

                For the days they were there, the four fell into a veritable routine: the camp would wake from four small tents, Amber would help Sungmin or Minho with breakfast, then the other guard would clean up, and Amber would begin working with Changsun to see what new spell they could try.  At the very least, she wanted to find out where they had gone.  Figuring that out would give them more information to work with and narrow down the field they had to focus on.  As for the guards… they bided their time and simply watched their backs.  The chance of someone actually trying something as far out as Karith were slim but it was a chance they didn’t wish to take.

                Despite the fact that more skilled Mages and more knowledgeable people had already been working on this mystery, Amber’s hopes were still high they would find something.  When they didn’t after nearly ten days of solid trying, she was very nearly heartbroken.  It didn’t help that Changsun also had to leave to return to Bannersport.  But he was able to teleport from anywhere so there was no need for him to return to the estate.

                “We’ll try again next time,” Changsun promised her when Amber couldn’t hide her disappointment and frustration.

                Amber took a deep breath and played with the ends of her hair between her fingers, not meeting his eyes.  “I just really thought we’d find something,” she admitted after a tense pause.  She wanted to cry over their lack of success but that wasn’t going to help anyone and it would just make her feel worse.

                “We will,” he reminded her, stepping close enough to pick her chin up so she would finally look him in the eyes.  “This was just the first try.  I can fix this,” Changsun nodded, searching her face as he looked down at her.

                Tears wavered on her lashes but she managed a pale smile and nodded, grabbing his hand in hers.  “I believe you.”  She swallowed hard and took another breath.  “And I’ll keep looking.  There has to be something I’m missing,” Amber frowned, looking away as she went over the books in her head.

                “You’ll be alright,” the young man smiled, grabbing her shoulder with one hand so he could step close enough to press his lips against her hairline.  Amber froze and blinked in surprise.  Before she could react appropriately, Changsun stepped back and waved at her with a dusting of color washing over his face.  “I’ll see you in three month’s time!”  With that, he turned to focus on casting his teleportation spell and then he disappeared through the opening in the air.

                “Yeah,” Amber nodded to herself at last, staring at the spot where he had just been.  She carefully reached up to touch the place where his lips had been a moment before.  Did he just…?

                Sungmin cleared his throat near the carriage, an amused smile hiding at the corner of his mouth.  “We should probably start heading back, Amber,” he announced, nodding towards her ride.

                “Of course,” she forced the response, brushing off her green dress reflexively.  Yes, she was pretty sure he had just kissed her.  It only served to make her confused, disappointed, and excited.  And she had no idea how to react accordingly.

                Fortunately, her guards didn’t decide to about it.  Goodness knew she would probably die of embarrassment if they did.  It was just so unexpected and sudden and it wasn’t fair that he got to leave just like that!  When they made it back to the estate, she kept that secret to herself, but she was pretty sure it got around anyway.  Sungmin never would have been able to keep it from his wife.  And there was no telling who would mention it to Hyesung.  But ‘the talk’ she expected never came and before too long, Amber was able to put it behind her for the time being.  They weren’t going to see each other for three months anyway and she was still busy.

                Still smarting from her first unsuccessful attempts to solve the mystery, Amber threw herself back into studying the tomes in the library.  Some of the books were difficult and beyond her ability though, leaving her frustrated and exhausted.  Preparing meals was child’s play in comparison, and there wasn’t always enough to work the tension out of her muscles because of it.

                By the time she received Changsun’s next letter a full three sevendays after his visit, she was already suffering from her inability to do anything useful to help her family.  Of course she didn’t tell him that, pretending excitement over his progress with his new Master Mage – who could never match up to her father, but she needed something else to distract her.  Something more demanding.

                Soonkyu was among the first to say something.  Like many of the staff, they’d begun to notice the way Amber had been withdrawing, bit by bit, but it wasn’t as if they hadn’t expected such a response, given her task.  They were peeling potatoes for the morning meal when she finally spoke up.  “If I didn’t know better, I’d say that potato did something to make you angry,” she teased gently, watching Amber mangle the skin with the knife.

                Amber froze when she heard the other woman speaking and took a moment to peer down at the ones she’d already worked on.  Compared to Soonkyu’s, hers were ugly and choppy, hastily cut with too much energy.  “Sorry,” Amber sighed, wiping her forehead with the back of her hand.

                “I’d say the potato is the one you should apologize to,” Soonkyu laughed, keeping her eyes on her work as she continued to peel.  But her attention was otherwise on Amber.

                The young woman took a few more swipes at the current one in her hand and deposited it with the rest.  After a pause, she picked up the next and started to peel it with more care.  “It just feels like I’m not doing enough,” she finally admitted as the knife stopped moving entirely.

                Soonkyu looked up with raised brows and shook her head.  “You’re doing everything you’re able to.  What more could you do?” she asked curiously.

                Amber grimaced and shook her head, annoyed with herself.  “Find them.”  Soonkyu hummed in the back of but didn’t say anything in response.  The sound of her knife moving through the tough vegetable was the only one for several breaths.  “Some of the books are too difficult and when I’m done trying, I just want to scream or cry or both,” she detailed, unconsciously taking her frustrations out on the tuber in her hands.

                “You’re doing it again,” Soonkyu laughed in amusement, her eyes watching Amber this time.

                “Ugh!”

                After a thoughtful pause, Soonkyu suggested, “You should speak with my husband.”  At Amber’s curious frown, she nodded and went on.  “Apparently, Changsun told him he taught ya how to fight just a little bit.  So if you’ve a mind, he’s one to ask.  The gods know he loves to match anyone in the circle,” she laughed and rolled her eyes.

                Truth be told, Amber had missed her sparring sessions with the boys.  She still remembered how Changsun would instruct her as she was sparring with an equally bad-at-fighting Seungho.  And she still cried at night when she remembered the surprised but admiring smile on his face when she beat him just as often as he beat her.  Her hands trembled slightly and she took a small breath.  “But why would they even think about teaching me.  I’m a girl.  I know how it’s supposed to work,” she sighed with a resigned air as she went back to her task.  Being taught by Changsun had been a fun diversion for him but absolutely thrilling for her (and Seungho).

                Soonkyu snorted at the response and made a rude sound in the back of .  “With three women in his family, he knows better than to pull the men-are-better-than-women line.  Even if it is true for some things,” she stated firmly.  Her voice changed as she added, “Though that is just between you and me.”  When Amber failed to react, she continued again.  “And you forget, little one,” Soonkyu smiled, using the side of her finger to lift Amber’s chin so the young woman would be forced to meet her eyes.  “He’s seen your strength already.”

                Looking at the other woman, it seemed as if it might actually be possible.  The thought was both exciting and frightening.  She enjoyed learning and it would certainly be difficult enough to keep her busy.  But she’d seen Sungmin and Minho sparring just for fun when they were guarding her and Changsun.  They were good.  She was nowhere near their level, even with Changsun’s teaching.  Again, why would either of them be interested in trying to teach her?

                Almost as if Soonkyu could read the doubts as they washed over her face, Soonkyu took a breath and shook her head.  “Just give it a try.  You won’t know for sure unless you do,” she explained matter of factly, finishing her portion and starting on Amber’s.  “I’d suggest a little before supper.  They usually have a go around then.”

                Amber chewed on her lip thoughtfully and managed to resume her chores without mishap.  What if she could start that again?  “Maybe,” she whispered under her breath, glancing down at the necklace resting on her chest.  Maybe indeed.

                The rest of the day went by as normal.  Amber was mindful enough to get a couple more new notes from the library and she even helped Soonkyu with lunch as if nothing was different.  Just to maintain a semblance of attempted normalcy, she rejoined Soonkyu after lunch to assist with mending, a tedious and boring affair that Changsun had always had a habit of trying to get out of.  Now she knew why…  But Seungho had never complained about it.  He’d even volunteered to do hers a time or two.

                Eventually, she made her mind up to at least take a look.  Soonkyu was right.  If she didn’t even try, she wouldn’t have a chance regardless.  Gathering her resolve and her courage, Amber made her way outside when it was starting to get later in the day and after Soonkyu waved her off as she tried to help prepare supper.  With no other excuse, she found herself out behind the stable where the covered horse corral seconded as a sparring ring.  There was a nicer, indoor salle but neither of the guards preferred it; apparently it was too clean and organized.  Not at all like what one faced outside.

                Amber didn’t know herself but she could see the sense it made.  With nerves coiling in her belly, she peeked around the corner of the stable and noticed both Minho and Sungmin finishing cleaning the ring.  Taemin was helping on the other side of the corral as they determinedly cleared out the horse manure with easy patience.  Two of the messenger boys were perched on the top beam, just watching them; the third was probably on his way back from delivering Hyesung’s latest missive.

                As they finished cleaning and started to warm up, Amber maintained her vigil from the corner, staying out of sight.  She tracked their movements with her eyes and smiled as the drills were at least familiar to her: Changsun had taught her and Seungho in the early days.  Then they moved on to actual sparring and she was mesmerized by them once again.  The way they danced over the soft dirt; how they deftly blocked and dodged out of the way; how they made a game out of the playful duel… it all reminded her of home again.

                Unable to stay hidden any longer, she finally pulled herself away from the corner of the stable and moved closer.  Minho used his longer reach to keep Sungmin at bay, but the shorter, blonde man was quicker on his feet.  The pair continued to bounce around the impromptu ring with admirable skill. 

                “Gotcha!” Minho laughed, snaking the tip of his sword around to try and tap Sungmin on the arm.

                His opponent fluidly ducked out of the way and moved in to tangle his feet up with his weapon, causing Minho to yelp as he stumbled back.  It was impossible to keep his footing in the looser dirt and he scrambled away awkwardly.  Sungmin followed after, hounding the other guardsmen.  “Got me do you?” Sungmin teased, poking at Minho with playful jabs.

                “No fair!” Minho complained, groaning when his companion finally ‘killed’ him.

                “You always say that,” Sungmin chuckled, reaching down to give Minho a hand up anyway.  As he was getting to his feet, a smattering of applause caught their attention, making those gathered look towards where Amber was clapping at their performance.

                “Oh,” she murmured when no one else joined her.  “I thought-” she stopped, her cheeks flushing as several pairs of eyes settled on her at once.  “We always clapped when we finished a sparring match at home,” she shrugged, ducking her head and feeling a very real need to flee.

                “We who?” Minho called out before she could, his tone light and curious.  The dirt smudge on his face was hardly helping make him seem as imposing as usual.

                “Seungho, Changsun, and me,” Amber added quietly.

                “Master Lee did mention he’d taught you a thing or two,” Sungmin conceded, his interest piqued.  Amber nodded with an uncertain look at the blonde man as he hopped the fence with his sword in hand.  She was even more unsure when he came up to her and offered the weapon.

                Hesitantly, Amber accepted the blade, testing the handle in her palm and weighing the balance against her arm.  The edge was dinged and warped from being used so frequently but the wood itself was solid and it was more than enough to hurt someone with if needed.  As she was inspecting it, Sungmin lunged for the blade as if he intended to take it away.  Amber had no time to think.  She reacted and her body automatically fell into one of the few practiced routines she felt she’d mastered.

                With a flick of her wrist, she slipped his hand and followed through with a jab towards his body.  For the briefest of moments, she thought she had him, but then he pushed the blade aside with his other hand and still managed to snatch the handle as originally intended.  Off balance, Amber stumbled forward and barely caught herself before she hit the fence.  Her face felt hot from the embarrassment and she turned to glare at Sungmin who was looking at her thoughtfully.

                “Looks like Changsun did remember a thing or two,” Minho chuckled from behind Amber with a slow clap.  She had to glance back to make sure he wasn’t making fun of her, but the look on his face was genuine.

                “Not bad, Amber,” Sungmin congratulated, coming close with the blade in one hand.  “I wouldn’t have done that if it was a real sword,” he winked as if letting her in on a secret.

                “Especially since it would have cost you fingers,” Minho snorted with a dismissive wave at his companion.

                After a moment, Amber’s mouth dropped open and she frowned.  “You cheated!”

                “A little bit,” Sungmin admitted, holding his fingers up with a small space between them.

                “Not uncommon in actual fights,” Minho shrugged as if backing his actions.  His comment still earned an uncertain frown from Amber before she looked back at the more experienced guard.

                "Why don’t we try that again in the ring?” he encouraged, clambering over the fence with ease.

                “Alright,” Amber blinked with some confusion.  The fence wasn’t exactly a problem but the dress she was wearing was.  Determined to work around it, she managed to lumber over without being too scandalous, and approached the pair.

                “Let’s see what you can do without my tricks,” Sungmin encouraged, letting Minho take point this time.

                By the time Amber was done with sparring the guardsmen, she realized two things: she was utterly inadequate in comparison to their skill, despite all the training sessions she’d had with the boys; and the dress was a severe problem when trying to move around.  It had constantly gotten in her way while sparring.  It was also probably ruined at this point.  Furthermore, it was as thin as paper and not at all protective like what the guards were wearing.  When she’d sparred with the boys, they’d pulled their blows a low more than she had originally realized…

                What was more, the guards were delighted by her enthusiasm and wanted to see her again if she was willing to train.  Personally, Amber suspected Soonkyu had a large part to do with that but she wasn’t going to complain because, oh yes.  She wanted that very badly (outside of the studying and meal preparation – just like when she was home).  So she had to make a change.  It took her a couple days to recover enough from the first bout and to find clothes more appropriate for her intended training purposes, but she was ready by the following week.  Word got around the estate about her new activity and while Hyesung was certainly taken aback, if thoughtful, the majority of the staff were alternately excited or intrigued or both.  It was no surprise that Soonkyu was openly supportive either.

                The next time Amber joined the guardsmen for sparring practice, it was raining but they were protected under the overhang.  Instead of the dress, she was wearing hastily altered pants, laced up boots, and a baggy shirt that was too large but would do until they had time to make something more proper.

                “This feels odd,” she admitted, pulling at the fabric that clung snuggly to her legs as she made her way into the ring under the watchful eye of the guards, Taemin, the messengers, and Hyesung this time.

                “But it suits you if you really want to do this,” Sungmin and Minho nodded approvingly, their gazes taking her new appearance in without making her uncomfortable about it.  Amber nodded quickly so they wouldn’t think she’d changed her mind.  “Alright then,” the blonde smiled.  “You can wear dresses outside of here, but in the ring, you’re on our terms.  So we’ve got to teach you the basics first,” he laughed.

                “But I know the basics,” Amber blinked in confusion.  “Changsun taught us.”

                “Uh huh,” Minho chuckled in the back of his throat.  “He got you started.  We’ll finish it,” he promised, raising his sword in salute to her.

                “Oh boy,” Amber exhaled, doing her best to prepare herself.

                With her new routines – sparring, meal preparation, and studying, the time flew by for Amber.  She was delighted to receive a surprise ten and five birthday gift from Changsun in the ninth month, but it made her realize nearly three months had already gone by.  She confirmed it though when she got Changsun’s next letter early the following month.  By his own hand, he explained he would be home by the end of the sevenday and she was beyond excited, if still bruised and sore.  Her trainers were not easy taskmasters.  She would have sent him another letter explaining what she’d been up to but she figured she could tell him when he returned.

                The only nerve wracking part about his note was that he explained his parents would be joining him shortly after.  They were going to avoid the bitter winter in the north and spend the coldest part of the year at their secondary estate.  That was all well and good that Changsun would be there when they arrived (even if they were going to be at Karith instead), but it also meant that she’d be spending an unknown amount of time with them by herself when he left.  She had very little idea of what it would mean for her when that happened but she was simply going to focus on it one day at a time.

                On the day he was supposed to come home, everyone dressed up to get ready for Changsun’s return.  They filed out of the estate and waited in a line as if to greet him by carriage, though they all knew he would not be arriving in that manner.  Still, it was a relief when the air twisted in front of them, distorting until a circular opening appeared and out slipped Changsun.

                His black hair was longer than before, almost touching his shoulders, and he grinned with his well known dimples as he looked around the gathering.  His dark brown eyes landed on Hyesung in the center first before he spotted Amber at his side, clothed in the yellow dress this time.

                Nervous and a little unsure because of how they’d left the last time, Amber waved at Changsun with a shy smile as she stepped closer.  “Welcome back.”  He had no such reservations and stepped forward to hug her tight, cradling her close.  Amber smiled into his robes and relaxed in his arms, glad things had not changed between them.

                But as before, they had precious little time to spend to themselves.  Once more, they returned to Karith with a carriage and Minho and Sungmin in tow.  Amber did get to explain she had taken up fighting with the guards to which Changsun had raised a brow but hadn’t actually said anything.  They resumed their routines from the first time with the addition of training before bed.  Amber managed to pull Changsun in one or two evenings but after casting during the day, it was clear he wasn’t able to devote his attention to both.

                The ten days passed far too quickly again, leaving them to spend one final evening together before he would teleport back to Bannersport in the morning and she would depart for the estate with Minho and Sungmin.  By the look on his face, she wasn’t going to entirely enjoy this conversation though…  “As you may already know, my parents are probably at the estate by now,” he explained next to her while they were sitting at the fire before bed.

                “Yeah…” Amber trailed off, glancing nervously towards Minho and Sungmin who simply shrugged at her.

                “I’ve told them about you, of course, and they are very much looking forward to meeting you,” he assured her with a similarly nervous look towards his guards.  They gave him a nonplussed look and sighed.  “And I’m sure you’ll be fine without me there, but...” he paused.

                “But what?” Amber prompted, cringing preemptively.  She was no lady so if he was going to ask her to actually be one while they were around, they were going to be in trouble.

                “Eh,” he sighed, gesturing uselessly with his hands.  “Just… don’t tell them that you know how to fight.  Better yet, you shouldn’t practice where they might see you,” he added with his eyes downcast.  “I’m okay with it,” he reminded her with a sidelong glance, “but my mother is very- eh- proper,” he ended with another sigh.

                “So, I probably shouldn’t be working in the kitchen either then?” Amber frowned, definitely disliking this already.

                “Yeah,” he admitted with another grimace.  “I’m sorry,” Changsun apologized, taking Amber’s hand in his and finally looking at her.

                “No, I mean, that’s what nobles do, I guess,” she shrugged, shaking her head and looking at Changsun in return.  “But I’m not a lady.  So why should I act like something I’m not?”

                At her question, he chewed his lip as he tried to think of a better way to explain it.  “I’m asking this as a personal favor, Ber,” he his lips and wrapped her hand in both of his.  “My parents will only be down until the winter breaks and then they’ll return in a couple months time.  You can keep studying the books in the library and everything to do with that, but while they’re here, can you just…” he stopped himself as he continued to look at her.

                Amber pressed her lips together tightly and just looked at him, unsure how she should feel right now.  Was she not good enough as herself?  “Just what?” she pushed to get him to talk, her back straighter than normal.

                At last, Changsun laughed once and he looked down, his mouth turning up into a slightly embarrassed smile.  “You know what?  Never mind,” he shook his head, patting her hand with his.  “I’m sure it’ll be fine,” he murmured, reaching up to smooth a hand over her hair tenderly.  “I’m just sorry I won’t be there to introduce you,” he shrugged in mute apology.

                That made Amber laugh once as she breathed a sigh of relief.  “Well,” she nodded, holding tighter to his hand.  “What else can you tell me about them?  You’ve told me some things but what should I expect?” she encouraged, her posture relaxing as she turned to face him better.  He had spoken of his parents when he’d first arrived at the tower, but that had been a couple years ago and things might have changed since then.

                “Let’s see,” he smiled, tapping his lip thoughtfully as he settled in to speak at length on the topic.  Amber had certainly learned that knowledge was a sort of power and the more she had for situations like this, the better she would feel about them.

 

(a/n: I had intended to make this part a little shorter but I think it's important to also show Amber's development and progression along the way.  Likewise for the development of her and Changsun's relationship, even with as little time as they spend together.  Thank you for reading and I hope you look forward to the next update!)