Prompt #1 - W

Cassiopeia

Changmin was wondering whether or not it was fate that urged him into naming their fans, Cassiopeia. Was there a divine intervention to it or was it all just pure coincidence?

Looking back at it now, many things were plauging his thoughts and as he stared up the night sky, watching the five stars grow brighter than the rest, he was brought back to a time when he was genuinely happy. 

He slowly shut his eyes, allowing the joyful chimes of laughter to take him in. 

-

There was Kim Jaejoong's soft laughter, ringing in the air as Junsu tackled Yoochun after getting teased yet again. They were huddled closely in the living room, piles of fan letters resting in the center table between five of them. Yunho, their leader, chided the two dorksters with a stern look, took a letter and read it aloud. Contemplative silence immediately fell upon them.

It never crossed their mind, really. They've been performing and promoting for a while now but what should they name their fans?

"We should call them chickens," Kim Junsu said after minutes of serious thinking.

The members blinked at him, wondering what on earth went through that head of his. They were already used to his offhanded remarks, but he so far still haven't failed to catch them by surprise. He was becoming better at it, actually, that sometimes they wondered how he's even coming up with such ideas.

"Why?" Park Yoochun asked in suppressed hilarity. He was digging for more weird things from Junsu, perhaps to entertain himself more. As it was, he was already grinning wide from ear to ear.

Junsu stared at him innocently. "Because everyone loves chicken and I thought it would suit our fans. We love them, don't we?"

"You're useless!"

It only took five seconds before Yoochun lunged at Junsu, wrestling him with a pillow. So much for the sincerity.

Shim Changmin smirked at them. He wanted to give a snide comment but bit his tongue because as the maknae, he really should show his hyungs he was way more mature than them. So far it was working.

Jung Yunho cleared his throat. "I understand your reason, Junsu-yah, but we can't name our fans after food. That's just...wrong -"

"-stupid!" Yoochun interjected with a snigger, earning a playful jab from Junsu who had just recovered from the wrestling fest.

Jaejoong remove the hand covering his grin and recomposed himself. "I have an idea."

The four dongsaengs turned to him intently. Surely if it was Jaejoong, the oldest of the five, it would make sense right?

"Let's call them 'children'".

They slumped over, sighing and shaking their head at yet another weird suggestion.

"Hyung, some of them are even older than us, you know?" Changmin pointed out.

Jaejoong rubbed his neck, a sheepish smile on his face. "Well, I was thinking that since Yunho and I are the parents, they could very well be our children like you three."

Yunho coughed, hiding a shy grin. "I think Changmin is correct. That might raise a few eyebrows."

"Oh yeah?" Jaejoong contested. "Any suggestion then?"

Yunho let out a lopsided grin. "Since we're singers, don't you think something more music-related will do? Like...notes? Or harmony? Or lyrics?"

Changmin slapped his forehead. The suggestions were becoming more outrageous by the second, each name more stupid than the last. It was a good thing no one was around to see this...absurd display of oddity, as he'd like to call it. He concentrated on the book he was reading, pretending to lose focus when in truth, he was still listening to every weird suggestions his hyungs were saying. 

"Let's just call them goddesses, since we are called gods, right?" Yoochun said after a while, looking from Junsu to Changmin. 

Junsu was in the middle of hitting him with a pillow when he remembered how Yoochun cried the first time he hit him. The pillow dropped onto his lap, and Junsu opted for the second best thing. He mustered a teasing look. Wide mocking grin, ear to ear.

"Yah, only you will think our fans are all girls. What about the boys?" Junsu said, fully pleased with the fact he got to pawn Yoochun this time around.

Yoochun laughed, fully prepared to retaliate. He replied, "Wanna die? Who gave you the right to comment?"

And for the nth time that night, Changmin watched his hyungs engage into endless exchanges of playful insults and childish banters. By the way everyone was laughing, he deduced it would no longer take a minute before the current matter at hand would be forgotten, so he went into action. He closed the thick Science book quite loudly, capturing the undivided attention of his older members. Incidentally, his eyes caught something from the laptop Yunho was holding, and nodded to himself.

It was perfect.

"Let's call them Cassiopeia."

Yunho cocked his head to the side. "The constellation with five stars?"

Changmin nodded, admiring the fact that their leader could still remember some bits from his science class. He should give him more credit, really. "Yes. Also known as the seated queens. It's often used to find the North star, Polaris."

"So the starts represent us, DBSK?" Junsu asked, clearly amazed.

"Yes, but that's not the only reason." Changmin flipped open the book and pointed at the bright stars. "The Cassiopeia constellation is also used by travelers for guidance, because it always stays in one place, never changing, never leaving. I think that's the most suitable way to name our fans, don't you think?"

Jaejoong clapped his hands in awe. "Like us, that's good! Since we'll always be together. I like that name. Let's use it."

The rest nodded in agreement.

"But Changmin-ah, how did you come up with that?"

Changmin smirked. "I saw Yunho-hyung's keyboard. T Vf X Q make a W shape."

In one second, he received a smack from his hyungs. Using his science book to support his idea when in truth, it was sparked by something so trivial: why, only Shim Changmin could pull that.

-

"Changmin-ah, it's getting cold. Come inside," Yunho called, peeking into the balcony.

Changmin slowly opened his eyes, the strings of laughter already becoming distant in his ear. He turned to look at his hyung. "One more minute, hyung."

He was reluctant to leave just yet. Because of their busy schedules, he rarely got time to watch the night sky. 

Yunho must've become worried, for as soon as he saw the strange expression on his maknae's face, he stepped into his side and looked up. He instantly knew what was thinking about.

"You lonely?" came his guarded whisper. 

"Should I be?"

Changmin was happy, of course. They were successful and they protected the name, TVXQ. But still, he'd be happier if they were complete.

"No. No, you shouldn't be, Changmin-a," Yunho replied with a firm tap on the shoulder. "Because our promise is still in the skies. It won't ever leave."

"I know, hyung. I know."

Sometimes, Changmin wondered if it was all a twist of fate that he chose the name Cassiopeia. Was it destiny frowning upon them, giving them a promise of being together forever, only to split them apart so cruelly?

Or was it God giving them a sliver of hope, for He kknew this was going to happen in the future, so He gave them a reason to believe, a promise to hold on to - strength that would help them dream.

It was a sign to never lose the faith, that one day everything would be alright again.

Cassiopeia, Changmin agreed, was indeed very suitable for their fans, because they remained during and even after the lawsuit, never changing, never leaving, and Changmin knew that as long as they do so, as long as they are in the sky, DBSK will always be one. After all, stars don't lie, don't they? It was all destined. They were, still are, destined.

God gave them a promise of hope, and Changmin was now certain it wasn't just a coincidence. 

-

 

Author's Note

Fin. 

Just want to share this to you, Cassies :) Always Keep The Faith! 

I'm @damnitsmitch from twitter. Nice to meet you all.