Katakatica

The Library's Featured Author Interviews! (COMPLETE)

Hello everyone, and welcome to our fourth Featured Author interview! It's been a while since we've done one of these, but if you have someone you would like to nominate for our consideration, please let us know!
So this month we have author Katakatica, a well-known writer here on AFF who is known for writing incredibly detailed supernatural stories. She has been a member of AFF for three years now, having published her first story on here back in 2012. She graciously agreed to be our newest feature and we sat down for a little interview to let everyone get to know her and her writing a little better! Enjoy the interview!

 

Librarian: How and when did you get into writing Kpop fanfiction?

KatakaticaI was into fanfiction way before I was into kpop. However, for a long while, I wasn't really active as a writer. I got into K-Pop a bit more than three years ago, by a friend who showed some MVs to me. I remember not liking a lot of groups at first, but it ended up growing on me. Just a month or so after I became obsessed with B2ST, my very first bias group, I started writing about SHinee. I don't know why I choose them, at that time they definitely were not my favorites. However, the friend who introduced them to me, is a Shawol so it may have been because of that. I just started writing and writing and my love for them grew... suddenly I was trying to get to know more and more bands and broadening my horizon with writing about others, too. It's funny because all of my other friends were totally weirded out by K-POP, and there I was, already writing fanfics after such a short time :D Been an addict since then.

 

Librarian: Thank goodness for that friend introducing you! So what was the first story you wrote?

Katakatica: It was 'Our Diary', in the June of 2012. I remember writing and feeling like a king. Thinking back, it's a very poorly-written piece, but it's something that I will remember for a long, long time. Even back then, my plots were kind of similar to what I use nowadays, just a lot less mature. I feel bad for never finished the third piece of this 'trilogy', the plot had always been very close to my heart, just never the style. It's so hard to believe that I wrote the entire thing three years ago. I was still in high-school!

 

Librarian: It's funny how when we look back, we can still love our first pieces yet be so critical.
Who are some authors, either published or fanfiction ones, who have really inspired you?

Katakatica: This is going to come off as a bit funny, but until a couple months back, I would not have been able to say authors. Many times, I'm mainly inspired by my friends or just my readers, or even just things that happen to me. A story of mine that I have not written yet was inspired by the old lady who always sat by me on the bus when I came home from school. Interesting, eh?
However, I had some time to myself in the summer due to a long trip overseas, and for once, I actually had time to read. One of my ultimate inspirators (is that even a word? I suppose not, haha. I should use muses, eh?), is definitely Kaspian. I am also intrigued by my dearest Luhuns' writing, and of course, Shiuhan is high on my list, too. Her Breathless Connection helped me think of the plot for Family (one to protect, one to love...). Iluvmoo, a writer for the BlockB fics I love the most is special, too, givent that I have even had the chance to meet her in person :) Unniem is another author that I have met in person. I have not read too much from her - or at least her recent works, really - but spending time with her just... fired up some ideas in my mind. It was fabolous to meet people from AFF, outside of the confines of the internet. I learned a lot, too. 
Thinking a bit further from fanfictions, I've always been a Harry Potter girl, so obviously found a lot of inspiration in the series. I haven't written with witches and wizards yet, yes, but... it's only time until I will. I think my life as a writer started when I realized just how fun it is to think the plots of books further.

 

LibrarianI love hearing how stories come to life from the different inspirations around us.
What have been your biggest struggles as a writer? And how do you think you have overcome them?

KatakaticaI have always struggled with some confidence issues. Because of that, when a story of mine just did not get as popular as others, or someone told me something bad about it - sometimes nicely, sometimes not - I panicked, in a way. To this day, I have this kind of fear that people are going to forget me. And yet, I cannot say that I am writing for them and not myself. It's just that... sometimes I depend on feedback to much. It used to be worse, of course. I used to believe that I can only be good if everyone says good things about me. This kind 'urge' in me have calmed down. I don't really know how or why, but I learnt to love what I do, and not because people think I'm good. It's because I believe that while I have a lot of things I need to improve on, I'm decent. Writing my older pieces, like Not a Word or even Affection for the Pure, I relied on my readers. If they wanted me to save the main character (Luhan) I did. And those fanfictions ended up in a mess, because I, as an author, wanted something completely different. However, I was scared..heck, I was terrified that my readers would leave me and I would end up alone again...
Again, I think my 'getaway' in the summer can be linked to me 'growing' up as a writer. I had a lot of time to think, to write and even grieve because my poor laptop died halfways through my trip. I wrote what was on my mind, even if it caused some of my readers to rebel. I also started working on my own books, though most of that date was unfortunately lost (hackers are cruel...) I realized that whatever I do, I have to enjoy it. So I did. I did not only write of course: I went out, took pictures, tried food I'd probably not eat at home, did things my parents may not be proud of (:)) and just.. realized that this is a way of life, too. Somehow, writing got easier, too. I just... type down what I feel, I don't tremble over what others will think. 
Another of my issues in the past had been the language barrier. Even as a teen I had been semi-fluent in English, but writing is nowhere near as easy as tests or exams. I learned a lot of things from reading others' works. Somehow, I got better and better, both because of writing and reading.

 

LibrarianAh yes, the 'write for yourself' thing. It is always hard to find that balance between writing because you enjoy it but still finding an audience who enjoys your work and gives feedback. It's surely a struggle!
So what are the pieces you have written that you are most proud of? And why?

KatakaticaHands down, my favorite from myself will always be the 'series' that is Vanilla - Chocolate Mint - Dark Chocolate and Twisted. It's something I've been working on very recently, and for some reason, it just connects with me more than my other stories before. Vanilla is short and sweet but very ty.. for once I didn't feel like it was forced which is a first for me. The others are (or going to be) shorter/longer chaptered stories revolving in the same universe. I love all of them because for once I'm not afraid to write what I want. I just go with the flow of my heart, cheesily speaking. 'Second' on my list is Insignificant. I'm actually turning it into a novell - well, sort of. I have always loved the plot for it, and the ending. It confused a few people but luckily most seemed to understand at least the basis of it. Happy endings aren't always as happy as you think they are :)


LibrarianAFF is kind of like a family site, isn't it? =)
So what advice would you give to authors just starting or who are struggling with their own inspiration/confidence?

KatakaticaIt sure is :)
All I can say is: look around you. The tiniest little things can help you find your muse. If you walk down the street, do not look down: look up, to the side. One of the biggest problems nowadays that we have learned how to rush through life, and this is true for authors, too. This reminds me of one of my other friends, who is also an author, but not here. She's the one who always tells me that even the most mundane things can help, no matter if you have just started working, or you are having issues. Confidence, is of course another thing. It's easy to say 'be proud of what you do, don't be shy', but it's very hard to actually follow these words. Find the little things that you like in what you do. Be positive, don't drag yourself down by every little mistake :) It won't be so hard once you fall into this 'routine' haha :)

 

LibrarianThat is absolutely some great advice.
So what are you currently working on?

KatakaticaI am currently working on a multitude of things: Chocolate MintDark Chocolateheroine. and Are you Kitten Me? (the last two are collab fanfictions with luhuns-, she is an angel to work with :D), and my sort of fanfiction, Daddy's Little Lamb. However, what I update depends on my mood. Whatever I have on AFF, no matter how old it is, how abandoned it looks, I may update when I finally have some ideas for it.
My main project right now, however, is my book. I have finally had the time to start planning it. It's going to revolve around something inhumane :)

 

LibrarianWhat are the things (genres/pairings/themes) that you really enjoy reading/writing in fanfiction?

KatakaticaPairings: I am not very picky with what I read or write in this area. I do have my OTPs (HunHan, Kaisoo, GTOP and so on), but I'm usually open to everything. Even in writing. When someone says 'XY of YYY would suit this story with YX by his side', and they are right... I consider the idea. For genres, I prefer romance. In writing, I love angst: I love making people suffer :) However, in reading... I am weak for fluff. Anything that's cute and sweet, I love. I am also a big fan of fantasy, so that's usually a big bonus :)

 

Librarian: Thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview, it has been great to hear what you have to say and hear your great advice.

Have there been any specific readers/friend that have really just encouraged you to continue that you would like to give a shoutout to?

KatakaticaThis was definitely an interesting experience, as someone who is studying editoral studies :) I'm not too much into journalism, but we do learn a lot about that so.. It was cool to be the one being 'interrogated' :D Thank you so much :)

Yes, of course there have been, other than the ones I have mentioned before. Rachellerah is my best friend in real life, and of course someone who is (forced to be) an avid reader of my stories. She's the type of person who has always known how to cheer me up, even when things got really dark. She's awesome (although she doesn't share her bias, poor me T.T)
Next is Kate_Sunshine, who's been with me for years now, too. I sometimes refer to her as my personal psychologist. Whatever issue I have, she helps me settle it down in myself. She may not be too active on AFF right now, but..she's still awesome. If she hadn't been with me...I probably would have quitted aff long ago. 
Sunnykid is the last person I would like to give a shotout to. 'YOU ARE AMAZING', this is pretty much my message to her :D I had the chance to meet her this summer, too, and let me say she gave me so many ideas... Especially with her favorite couple :) When I got somewhat homesick just after leaving home, she distracted me with the ideas :D It was fun.