Don't look behind

Glitch

 

*Kyungsoo is a grown man, he doesn’t believe in supernatural things.  But he can’t ignore the fact that every time he wakes up he sees a strange figure standing in his garden. At first he tried to convince himself it was a tree shadow or some kind of a dog but he knows it isn’t. The figure stares at him; sometimes for a long time, other times disappearing as soon as it understands its presence has been noticed.

Kyungsoo would lie if he said he wasn’t scared, he is, but not as much as the first time. The figure is somehow familiar now, like watching on him while he sleeps. Sure it’s creepy but he had learned quite young that there are a few things that you can never explain and shouldn’t question.  So he lives on knowing he’s being observed.

But one night the figure makes a mistake, a terrible mistake. It leaves its spot in the middle of the garden to just outside Kyungsoo’s window. The young man is listening to music when he finally sees the figure is standing right outside his window less than 2 meters away from him. He freezes in place, for the first time he can see a very small light in the shadow’s eyes. They stare at each other for some time before the inhuman of the two breaks the contact and turns back to vanish in the darkness of Kyungsoo’s garden. *

 

 

 

It’s a sunny day and Kyungsoo feels like being productive today. He has to, considering he has finals in less than a month. University had always been easy for him, not that there weren’t any distractions, because there were a lot. But he had always been quite mature for his age. Unlike his best friend, he was already living in an apartment of his own. His parents sure did help a little bit with the bill but they knew they could trust their son so they didn’t mind much. With a job on the side and university life, Kyungsoo was pretty busy. He didn't not complain though, he had always liked doing something better with his life rather than killing time, doing nothing. 

That’s how he finds himself on the way to his best friend’s home. 

**

-You could at least move your so I can sit.

-You came here on your own; I didn’t ask you to so accept the consequences.

Kyungsoo moved his feet to his best friends face and pushed him backwards, which resulted in Baekhyun falling from the bed in a loud thump. 

-What did you say?

-Please have a seat. Mutters Baekhyun as he rubs his back.

-That’s what I thought. Kyungsoo sits on the only available seat on the bed and stretches his limbs. You could be a little bit more productive though, Baek. Honestly, you haven’t even started your dissertations and can’t even keep a corner of your room clean.

-My room is a reflection of my mind and identity.

-I knew it was a mess inside your head but not that much. To prove his point, Kyungsoo held up an abandoned underwear lying on the floor between  two fingers. How long has this being laying around?

-Dunno, two weeks, maybe more?

Kyungsoo makes a disgusted face a threw the underwear far from himself, which ends his flight on a bag of chips lost between two unfinished-or not even started- assignments.

-Please tell me you won’t eat that.

Baekhyun raised his shoulder and the organized of the two face-palmed himself.

**

Kyungsoo spent the rest of his day helping Baekhyun with his projects and essays, knowing very well the boy wouldn't be finished by the end of the semester.

This is actually how they met.

Baekhyun had always been a lazy kid. That’s why when he noticed the smart boy in the back of the classroom. He automatically asked him if he could tutor him or do his work at his place (he was willing to pay).  Kyungsoo had turned down the offer considering at that age the boy should be able to take care of himself but the following week tough, he found himself staring in Baekhyun's direction many times. The boy always listened and  took notes, which surprised him.

The next day he accepted the offer to tutor the lazy boy.

During a tutoring session he made the mistake of opening Baekhyun notebook to see the notes he had written down. To his surprise the notebook was full of little drawings and cheesy romantic poems one would find on internet.

-You have a crush on our teacher??! He half-screamed half-asked, shocked with his discovery.

Baekhyun who was daydreaming chocked on the end of his pencil.

-What!!? Of course not! He snatched the notebook out of Kyungsoo’s hand and start turning the pages with a smirk on his face going back to his daydreaming land.

-Uhm. Kyungsoo coughed. Care to explain?

-Why would I? It wouldn’t be fun if you knew the truth, right? Baekhyun bafflingly smiled at him.

-Right. He answered after a moment of reflection on the weird guy that would eventually become his best friend.

**

-Thank you Soo, I owe you one.

-Yeah, yeah, that’s like the one hundredth time you say this and I’ve never received anything from you.

-That’s not true. I give you love and attention! What more do you want!?

-I’m not an hamster, Baek. Kyungsoo sighs as he waves goodbye.

 

On his way home, he feels a presence behind him but doesn’t look back. He knows what it is: the shadow. It keeps following him now. It’s been a week but every time he tried to approach it. the figure evaporates mysteriously before his eyes. He must admit though, at first he found it interesting and exciting. But now, it’s just annoying and creepy. It’s like having a stalker that you can never catch and that no one can see. Not even you. Many times, he tought that maybe it was all in his head. That he had imagined it all and that the end-of-the-semester's pressure was the cause of it. But a little part of his brain kept reminding him that it was, indeed, very true. It crept him out even more.

For the corner of his eyes, he watch as the silhouette walks to the same rhythm as him. Sometimes it appears to be walking right behind him, other times in the middle of the street.  Left-right-left-right-left…

He’s about three blocks away from his house's comfort and safety.

Left-right-left-right-left-right...

He’s about to cross the street but just in time, he notices a car driving down the street at a crazy speed. The two spotlights are approaching quickly and are blinding him because of the darkness of the night. He squints his eyes into two croissants to adjust to the brightness. Just as he thinks the car will hit the shadow, the black BMW M3 slams on its breaks at the traffic lights with a loud piercing screeching noise as the swift stalker flees without a word. It leaves no traces of his presence, as always.

**

Once home, Kyungsoo locks himself in his room and puts on headphones, turning up volume almost to its maximum. He doesn’t want to hear strange noises.

Ever since that thing came into his life he found himself paying attention to every single little noise in the house. Kyungsoo isn’t easily scared but his imagination isn’t any different from others either. Also, the desire to live something supernatural is quite thrilling for a boy of his age. He might be serious and mature, but he still enjoys watching movies. Oddly enough,ever since the incidents, he's been watching more and more horror movies. Maybe he’s trying to find answers. Maybe. However, he still remembers that curiosity killed the cat…

**

That night,  he wakea up  sweating and panting. He just woke up from a nightmare. The kind of nightmares he hasn't had since he was a kid. The kind that scares the out of you. The kind where you wished you had your mom close to you, caressing your hair and staying in your room until you fall back asleep. But Kyungsoo doesn’t live with his parents anymore. The only thing he can do so is hide deeper under the covers and sing in his head to calm himself. Heck, he finds himself stupid for throwing such a tantrum because of a nightmare. He isn’t a kid anymore! The house feels too empty with all those unoccupied nooks and rooms that leave too much space to the imagination… or strangers.  Imagination, he assures himself.

  He had dreamed about distant lights chasing him. But those lights didn’t belong to a car, they were eyes. The eyes of the shadow.

**

A week later, Kyungsoo is in the middle of reading a book when he feels his phone buzz under him. He keeps his eyes locked on the sentence he was reading and he reaches for his phone. Finally grabbing it , he looks quickly to see who is calling, DramaBaek. Great, he sighs. He closes his book knowing very well there is no way of talking to Baekhyun and reading a book at the same time. He might get a cramp from holding his book with one hand, anyway. The boy was quite known for being a talking machine and he really lived up to his name.

As soon as he pressed the talk button, a flow of words assaulted him.

-Calm down Baek, I didn’t understand a word of what you said.

-God Kyungsoo don’t you have ears?

-No anymore, thanks to you.

-Very funny. Listen you smartass because I got great news for you.

-Great Baek news or great Soo news?

-Uh….Baek news?

-That’s what I thought.

-So, like I was saying I got invited to Park Chanyeol’s party and you too, of course, and I was thinking that, you know, since this is such a big thing, we could, get prepared?

-Prepared? Prepared how?

-Well. Kyungsoo didn't like the tone of that 'well'. Since there will be tons of handsome boys there, we should be on their level.

-Are you telling me to have with you so you won’t be a when you will do… dirty things with Park Chanyeol?

-Dear god no! And how do you know I have a crush on Chanyeol?

-Come on Baek, don’t you remember I saw the cheesy poems you composed for him?

-Right. Oh well! No, I was proposing you to go to the hairdresser!

-The hairdresser? What for?

-To change our haircuts you dumb head! I swear, sometimes Soo I wonder how you even get all those good marks.

-Shut up. And I can go with you to the hairdresser but there's no way Im getting my hair cut.

-Come on Soo!! You need to be hot!

-I am hot.

Baekhyun might be a drama queen but he isn’t a liar (he only exaggerates excessively from time to time) nor an .

-Yeah you are, but you could be even more! You could become god Soo.

 -Ew Baek keep your fantasies to yourself.

-Can’t you just trust me on that one?

-No.

-I already booked an appointment for you. Baekhyun stated calmy, determinated to drag Kyungsoo to the hair salon.

-Goddammit Baekhyun!

-7 pm tonight. I’ll pick you up at 6:30! See you!

-Baekhy-

Beep, beep, beep...

How he wished that beep was just one long beep coming from an electrocardiogram connected to his heart.

Very slowly, Kyungsoo let him phone slide from his ear to the mattress.

He is calm. Very calm. Too calm.

I will kill him.

After anger comes the bargaining, then depression, and finally acceptance. Luckily for him, he had skipped two stages.

He stares at his reflection in the mirror next to his bed and unconsciously run a hand through his dark brown locks. Changes weren’t a bad thing, were they? He slowly lets every stray piece of hair fall back on his forehead. He could look good with his hair up…

**

 

 

 

 

 

a/n : Here is chapter one!!! Thanks to my brother for helping me find the perfect car :P I will be working hard on chapter 2 ! Thanks for reading !!!! Comments are always appreciated!