The White Piano

White Piano

 

---please read the foreword for the story of the White Piano

 

 

I always sneak into the Music Department’s piano room every break time. I was not allowed there since I’m in the Education Department of the school. I always dream of becoming a music student here in our school so that I could freely play that white piano—the legendary piano where the people who plays it would make their heart break. But I believe in the opposite, I want to prove that the legend was not true and it could bring lovers together.

 

Like the boy in the legend, I’ve dedicated something for my crush. He’s a senior student of the Music Department and he’s talented and smart that’s why a lot of teachers admire him and his baby face makes the students like him. I started to make a song for him but I couldn’t finish it. I want others to suggest something that’s why I wrote to my personal account at our school’s mini page where students could interact:

Here’s my first composition but I’m still working on it. Please help me.

Then I uploaded the unfinished music sheet of the one I composed. Then after a few minutes a mysterious myblacksmile replied.

I love your song! I hope you could finish it before our graduation.

A senior student replied. By those words, I was able to think of the lyrics of the song. I crept again to the music room but I was surprised to see my crush there, playing the white piano with ‘Canon in D’. I stood outside the room while listening to his elegant playing as I closed my eyes and felt the song. After a while I decided to go.

  In the house I opened my mini homepage and I was surprised to see that myblacksmile finished my song and uploaded the rest of the music sheet. I tried to play it on my piano and it surprisingly fit and it was really beautiful. I wanna thank that person so I replied to him.

Hello, I tried combining it with my song and it was really beautiful. I want to thank you personally.

Days passed by but he didn’t reply again. It was almost a week and I already finished my song. I recorded myself playing with the song on the white piano and uploaded it with a caption

I wasn’t allowed here right? But I want to play this song with this piano so  badly.I thank the person who helped me to finish this song. And also, I want to dedicate this song to an important person in my life.

Then the reply that I waited came:

Hello, I watched your video and you’re good! I wonder why you are in the Education Department. Sorry if I didn’t reply. It’s our finals already. If you don’t mind, I want to meet you at the music room where you played your song tomorrow.

By his reply, my mood suddenly lifted. Finally, I would be able to meet him.

Sure. I’ll come there tomorrow. I think 5:30pm. Please wait for me.

The following day I went to the music room and peaked at the glass door. There I saw a silhouette of the student watching the sunset by the window. I guess it was him—the one who helped me. I knocked and hid myself at the side of the door, exposing a bit of my hair. He opened the door and I finally faced him.

It was Lee Sungmin, the man whom I dedicated the song and the man who helped me to finish it. He smiled as he pulled me inside the room and sat me to the piano chair.

By that time I looked like a dumb, my heart was beating really fast against my chest and my face turned into tomato red as I hide it inside my fringes.

“Annyeong, I’m myblacksmile.

I was still half mentally absent. I could only see him from afar and hear his voice during performances. We’re like heaven and earth. But now, here I am, sitting beside him, dumbfounded by his appearance. If only I could shout for joy now.

            He held my right hand and said with a smile:

            “I want to hear your song”

            I nodded then I played the song.

 

            ~I saw you and I immediately fall for you

            Playing this music with a soft touch, I like you

            As the suns envelops the world with its shine

            My day enlightens with just your smile

 

            You’re very far away from me

            But from a distance I was satisfied with just a glance

            I barely know you but my love for you made me want you

            Each night, I only prayed for nice things to happen to us.

           

            Have you seen a dim light in the bottom of the sea?

            Have you noticed a flute in a group of clarinets?

            Have you appreciated the golden string on a violin?

            If you do, please accept this song and love for you.

 

            As days turns into weeks and months, I came to know you more

            As I know more, I felt that I was being pushed farther away from you

            Knowing that you are a king and I’m just a servant,

            I slowly admit the fact that we are not meant to love each other.

           

Have you seen a dim light in the bottom of the sea?

            Have you noticed a flute in a group of clarinets?

            Have you appreciated the golden string on a violin?

            If you do, please accept this song and my love for you.

 

Even if you don’t love me back, I’m sure that my feelings for you would never fade

Even if you already found the girl for you, I would still be happy

I could only laugh at the fact that I’m just a fool who fell in love with you

But even so, I want to thank God for giving me a chance to know a great person like you

 

Have you felt my raging heart against my chest?

Have you seen my burning cheeks?

Have you heard my silent voice saying that I really love you?

If you don’t, just listen to this song that I made for you.

 

I finished the song and with a big smile, he clapped his hands really loud. I was blushing but all I could do was to look down at the white piano.

            “I really love that song. To whom did you dedicate that song?”

            By that question, I unconsciously answered

            “It’s for the person who made me fall in love for the first time.”

            I took a slight glance at him and there’s a bit of sadness, or disappointment on his face as he looked at the piano keys but he flashed a small forced smile.

            “He’s very lucky. Have you…”

            “No, I don’t have the bravery to tell him that’s why I composed a song and uploaded a video for him. I can’t express my feelings for him directly because I felt that I would be rejected.”

            I said it as my heart began to cry. I once felt again the distance between us, knowing that I have no chance to be his. But here I am, unnoticeably confessing to the person that made my heart pump so wildly.

            “Huh? Why not? What does he like?”

            “I don’t know, maybe a music student like him, a gorgeous type of girl. Not a simple and shy girl. But, I already accepted the fact that we couldn’t be with each other. It’s just that, I really love him.”I answered him with a clenching heart. I know that no one would want me because I’m too plain. Not like him, admired by many people because of his talents and intelligence.

“How about you?”

            He smiled before he answered “Me? I also have a girl I like. I would always stalk her when she’s playing this legendary piano. She’s also the reason why I always play with this.” He said as he played ‘do re mi’. “So that one day, she would hear my songs that I played with my heart.” Then he played Yiruma’s Kiss the Rain. “But I found out that she loved someone else…”

            I bit my lip after he said that. I was also hurt about what he said. He’s a great guy but the person he loves doesn’t love him back. I guess I was wrong with the legend of the White Piano.

            “Have you told her?” I asked and he shook his head as he played ‘Kiss the Rain’ with more power, faster. I could feel him right now. “You shouldn’t be a coward like me. You’re a great guy and I know that you can do it.” I said with a stab in my chest. It’s okay for me to be hurt as long as he’s happy, that’s how stupid I am.

            “There’s no use, but.”

            He stopped playing the piano. I took the opportunity to play it. I started to press the keys softly as I played ‘Canon in D’, the first song that I heard from this piano. “Do you mind if I tell you how I feel?” he said with an innocent face and I nodded as I looked at my hands while playing the song.

            “I like you but being the president of the student council forbids me in some ways, including being with the person that I like. Before I graduate high school I want you to know how I really feel.” as he said that, I blew my fringes to ease myself to the pain. “It seems like you already have someone in your heart but I want you to know that I love you very much. Even so, do you feel the same?”

            I realized that I was almost banging the keys and I was not producing music anymore. It’s just, pain so I just stopped playing. “What can you say?” he asked me. “It’s nice. I hope that she would love you back.” I said with a slight envy for the girl. Then I played ‘Heart and Soul’ slowly with one finger.

            “You didn’t answer my question.” He said as though he wanted to hear something from me. “I already answered it.” I looked at him and he was staring at the piano keys blankly. “I guess you didn’t feel the same way.” Then I suddenly froze and got what he meant by that.

            “I love you but I guess you didn’t feel the same. I wish I could be the person to whom you gave that song. I hope that he would like you back because you’re a great person.” He said as he stood up

            The words that he said were strong enough to lift my heart to the sky. The pain that I felt instantly melted and my heart was immediately filled by love as it pumped really fast. I smiled and said “I guess I’m wrong.” I looked at him as he walked. “I guess he’s been loving me for a long time after all.” I stood up. “I guess you also love me back.” Then he stopped walking and looked at me.

            “I love you and that song is for you.” I said then the last thing I know was… he was already hugging me. He leaned closer to me as the tips of our noses touched each other, a signal to close our eyes. Then he kissed me.

            I realized how magical love is. Love would find a way to fly even though it doesn’t have wings. Love would still breathe even though it doesn’t have lungs. I didn’t expect this to happen, that the person that I silently love also feels the same way. Music linked us together and with this, I proved that the legend of the white piano was not what they think it is. It could not break the couple’s heart but instead, it would help them to find a way to be together even if it’s impossible. The girl found happiness when she played with the piano. The piano was able to melt away the sadness and loneliness of the girl. That every time she sat in front of the piano, the boy was with her… Guiding her throughout the song.

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------AUTHOR'S NOTE----------------------------------------------------------

A story that i made last 2009... :) the character was originally from the story of La Corda d'oro but i changed it to Sungmin because i missed him. haha!

anyways, enjoy my story.. i kinda changed it because i read a fanfic that is similar to my story..