Final

Early Christmas
Please log in to read the full chapter
Two knocks on the door after five minutes of standing in front of it, contemplating whether Taeyeon should do it or not. Even after she did knock, she was still thinking about what to say if that door finally opened and showed the person she worried about the past weeks.

 

  Two knocks and there was no sound from behind the door even though the clock past noon, far past a normal waking hour. She had only seen the girl at night when they were having dinner three nights prior, and not more than just glances after that.

 

  “Soonkyu-yah?”

 

  Her voice came out a bit hoarse and it was embarrassing. She cleared , knocked twice, and repeated, a little stronger this time.

 

  “Soonkyu-yah, are you inside?”

 

  Still no reply, so Taeyeon held the door handle, giving it a few seconds before she opened it.

 

  “I’m going in.”

 

  What greeted her were two cats she recognized as Salt and Sugar, although she couldn’t distinguish which one was which. One of them greeted with a meow, and Taeyeon stopped in her tracks, a hand still on the handle. The cats were docile – at least according to Sunny – so she didn’t know why she suddenly felt intimidated when she saw the two felines staring at her.

 

  “Soonkyu-yah?”

 

  Slowly she closed the door, making sure that the cats were still inside. A few steps in and she met a bathroom on the right. The light was off and the door was closed, so she passed it to see a bed so poorly made she couldn’t help but sigh.

 

  “Still can’t make her bed, I see.”

 

  She looked around, seeing a closet/makeshift cat room, messily arranged. Still there was no sign that Sunny was there, so she checked the bathroom, and found it empty as well.

 

  “Where is she…?”

 

  A cat meowed behind her, and it raised its two front paws at her. Being a dog owner for years, she instinctively took the animal in her arms, carrying it like a child.

 

  “Where is your mom?” she asked the white-furred feline.

 

  The cat didn’t respond, instead enjoying being lifted by looking around the room. Taeyeon looked around the empty room and found the other cat inside the red and brown striped box, ignoring her. At that point she knew that Sunny was out, apparently before she got up, thinking that for someone with no permanent schedule she was quite busy.

 

  Or maybe she was avoiding her in purpose.

 

  #

 

  The next time she saw Sunny was on her flight to Kobe with Joohyun. First thing she noticed was the blister on Sunny’s upper lip, and how she looked slightly out of it. She found out that the girl had an early schedule to visit a store since it was on Naver’s homepage, and didn’t want to ask why Sunny didn’t tell her that she had an early schedule.

 

  What she was dying to ask was how she got a blister on her upper lip, but too afraid to know the answer either. So she acted nonchalant, pretending to be busy with her tablet, even took the time to facetime in the VIP lounge. She responded when maknae asked her if she knew that the other girls were in the Universal Studios, stealing glances at the girl in the red coat who was busy tapping on her phone while she did so.

 

  She was dying to ask things she had wanted to ask, but not ready to know whatever answer she could get.

 

  #

 

  In Japan, she barely saw Sunny, except when they had to rehearse in the concert hall. The shortest member spent most of her time in her room – not taking any calls or replying any messages. They were usually back late at night, but even when their schedule was over and had the time to have fun in Universal Studios she declined the offer. Taeyeon pouted when she heard Sunny declined Yoona’s offer to go with them, turning away so the former couldn’t see her disappointment.

 

  Back to the hotel, Taeyeon was limp from laughing so much with the girls, momentarily forgetting about her concerns and troubles. She was still giggling even when she was in her room, changing to comfortable clothes to sleep in, remembering the funny antics the girls made.

 

  Taeyeon had just finished changing when there were two knocks on the door. Looking at the time, she knew who might be on the other side of the door, and what she might have to do afterwards, so she let out a worn-out breath before opening it.

 

  Surprisingly enough, it wasn’t who she thought it would be, clad in a white turtleneck and grey sweatpants. Her eyes widened, too taken aback to say anything.

 

  “Are you busy?” Sunny glanced at her back, and Taeyeon knew what she was implying.

 

  “Uh no, I’m not, want to come in?”

 

  “It’s okay, I won’t be long.”

 

  “I insist – it’s warmer inside.” She made space, enough for Sunny to walk in.

 

  With hesitant steps Sunny walked inside, closing the door behind her. She was holding something behind her, but Taeyeon couldn’t make out what it was.

 

  “Here is fine, Taengoo.”

 

  Taeyeon was halfway past the hall of her room when Sunny called back, and the former turned to face her.

 

  “Like I said, I won’t be long.”

 

  Typical of Sunny – answering her question before it was asked. So Taeyeon stood two steps away, waiting.

 

  “I’m here to give you this.”

 

  Sunny showed what she had been holding – a scarf. Taeyeon looked back and forth between the scarf and Sunny’s face, not fully understanding what it meant. “For me?”

 

  “Yeah, I made it myself. It took a while, but I finally finished it today.”

 

  Sunny smiled in content and it sent a hurtful pang on her chest. She stood rooted when the other took that two steps and
Please log in to read the full chapter