Fragile

Fragile

A/N: Finally!!! I am able to update this at last ^^ hope I didn't keep you guys waiting too long hehe...sorry if I did. Hope you enjoy reading it :) I'll be glad for the comments on this story . Thanks to my beloved subs too - gave me confidence and spirit to write this ^^



 

 

A dream you once were,

A dream of all my realities,

Hyukjae…

 

 

 

This was how the start of Donghae's little fairytale had begun…

Walking all the way to happiness…

  It was one sunny morning, two years ago…With a bag packed with newly borrowed books in one hand, Donghae struggled to follow after his little over-excited puppy. It was his summer holidays – that meant he had time to walk Yuki in the weekdays too. Yuki had been the greatest gift his father had left behind for him. When his beloved father passed away tragically, Donghae wept for days. It had been a depressing anguish. Ever since that, he had decided he should cherish Yuki even more.

"Yuki!" Donghae called out.

The little dog turned around and tilted its head a little to one side and stared innocently at its owner. Yuki gave a little bark and turned away again. Donghae chuckled.

They were in the park now and Donghae realized that dog owners were actually really social. They stopped by to have short conversations with one another and their dogs lingered around them. As they walked by, several dog owners, especially young girls, greeted Donghae and Yuki.

"Aww…look at that little doggie…it's so cute! What's its name? "

Donghae gave them a warm smile and he bent down to give a little fluff on Yuki's head.

"Yuki" he replied to the girls.

Then, he got up and left for his usual spot where he and Yuki rest after the walk. The girls were probably squealing back there by now. Donghae knew it although he didn't bother to look back at them. They simply wanted to talk to him but too bad, he had no interest in them at all. A crooked but charming grin plastered across his face. The morning sun beamed down, casting a dreamy spotlight on the handsome figure as he headed up the path to the hilly area. Donghae was wearing casual- a white top, blue jeans and sneakers- but he had made casual looked good.

  An adorable Pomeranian happened to run towards them as they went further up the path. The little dog stopped and circled around Yuki, giving little curious sniffs. The two dogs exchanged gazes with curious eyes and barked as they 'explored' each other. Donghae smiled upon looking at the cute duo in front of him. He squatted down and patted the Pomeranian's head gently, and affectionately. The dog was really beautiful. It's elegant, silky brown fur was lovely and those eyes…Donghae wondered where its owner was for a second.

"Hey…where's your owner?" Donghae cooed as he caressed the Pomeranian.

From a distance came a sound of footsteps, which grew louder as it got nearer.

"Choco!" a voice called out.

The little Pomeranian barked excitedly and trotted towards which, Donghae guessed, was its owner.

  Donghae averted his glance up at the direction which the Pomeranian trotted away. Then his gaze just seemed to become fixed. He was unconscious for a while and when he regained consciousness, Donghae could feel his cheeks flushed. Wearing a black V-neck and matching dark skin tight jeans, the man approached towards Donghae, who was taken under a spell. The owner was slim, tall and handsome. His fluffy blonde hair was alluring in the light, giving him a rather y look. Donghae blinked and mentally gave himself a slap. He got up and smiled awkwardly at the owner and his dog, Choco. His heart was beating wildly for a moment.

"Um…uh…Sorry to give you trouble...Choco gets hyper sometimes," The owner flashed a sweet gummy smile at Donghae.

"It's fine. Choco's really cute," Donghae complimented. Damn…he's handsome…

"Thanks…What's this little fella's name here?" The blonde asked, taking of his sunglasses. Donghae could smell a whiff of cigarette from him as he neared.

"Yuki, " Donghae replied.

There was a short moment of silence for a few seconds. Then both of them looked up at each other and their gazes locked for a moment. The blonde owner had beautiful foxy eyes which were previously hidden under the sunglasses and he had milky soft skin. He was beautiful and handsome…

"Umm...it's kind of funny that we haven't introduced ourselves to each other yet…" Donghae chuckled, deciding to break the awkward silence. Then he beamed at the blonde owner who smiled shyly.

"I'm Donghae." He introduced himself.

"I'm Hyukjae…" The blonde replied.

"Oh. Okay..." Hyukjae… Donghae thought.

"Guess I better get going now…Nice meeting you!" Hyukjae waved at Donghae.

Donghae smiled back, and he watched the handsome dog walker and his dog disappeared round the winding path.

 

  In the following days, Donghae and Hyukjae continued to meet each other at the park. Donghae had found out that Hyukjae was also a daily dog walker in the mornings. He couldn't be any happier! His summer was such a dream, maybe…maybe not - meeting a handsome dog walker- It was just a start. Donghae had finally got a bit more accustomed to facing Hyukjae 'normally', because on the second day they met, he was frantic about whether to approach and greet Hyukjae or to deliberately stay out of sight.

Time passed by smoothly between Donghae and Hyukjae. Without much notice, it had been two months since they first met…

  They sat down on the soft grass and chatted for hours while Yuki and Choco playfully ran around the area nearby, catching and rolling over each other. Every time Hyukjae spoke to him, there was a soothing and warm feel to it- to listen to his voice, which Donghae found it rather attractive.

Sometimes, Donghae noticed the heavy cigarette smell that lingered on Hyukjae's clothes. Hyukjae probably smokes…he thought, but he didn't say anything about the cigarettes. Hyukjae was lovely and kind.

"So, do you want to come over for dinner?" Hyukjae suggested out of the blue.

  "Oh…I…"

This was the first time Hyukjae had asked him out. Donghae stayed silent for a moment, his mind possessed by imaginary voices shouting 'Yes' and 'No's.

"I'll take it as a yes then!" Hyukjae teased.

"Hey!" Donghae chuckled and playfully tickled the older.

They chased each other and when Hyukjae tickled him back, Donghae fell onto the soft grass, unable to resist the tickle. Hyukjae knelt down beside Donghae and caressed his messed up hair.

"I hope you can come…" he began and looked at Donghae with his pleading puppy eyes.

Donghae turned and looked up at Hyukjae. A grin stretched across his handsome face. "Okay, then."

Then he slowly shut his eyes and lied on the grass with ease. He could feel Hyukjae gently placing his head onto his laps. Donghae's heart was beating wildly, but he lay comfortably, enjoying Hyukjae's little and caresses.

Donghae knew he had fallen for Hyukjae. But he wondered and wondered, did Hyukjae feel the same for him too?

 

It was a rosy evening that day. Bringing little Yuki along, Donghae sauntered down the streets, occasionally glancing down at the address and directions written down on a crumbled piece of paper.

 "Hey! What's up?" A voice called out from nearby.

Then Donghae felt an arm lay around his shoulders. He could feel his cheeks flushed instantly. He turned around and gazed at Hyukjae.

With a sheepish smile, he stuttered, "Oh, hi…I was just…"

The older let out a laugh. Donghae liked the way he smiled- that cute gummy smile – he couldn't take his eyes of Hyukjae, which for a moment made him looked like a fool. But he just couldn't help it, everything about Hyukjae was mesmerizing.

"Come with me ". Hyukjae grabbed Donghae's hands in his and he 'escorted' the younger towards the apartment a few blocks ahead. Yuki barked again and obediently followed his master.

Donghae eyed the surroundings of the ground floor lobby with awe and amazement. He never actually thought Hyukjae would live in an executive apartment all by himself. While as for him, he lived with his mother and older brother in a small bungalow. Donghae had been planning to rent an apartment out of his own savings but currently, the plan had been pushed aside for a while. Meanwhile, Hyukjae seemed to have noticed Donghae's gaze. He smiled at the cute latter, embraced him by the waist and pulled him closer while they waited for the lift. Donghae's cheeks flushed a light tint of red.

"People are looking at us…" Donghae said nervously although it was obvious no one else was there except a cleaner mopping the floor.

"I've prepared a great surprise for you, Donghae." Hyukjae whispered, looking affectionately at Donghae.

  Upon arriving at the 15th floor, they got off the lift. Hyukjae unlocked the front door and welcomed Donghae into his apartment. Choco came running out, barking and wagging its tail excitedly. The two playful dogs disappear into the house, Choco escorting Yuki around the apartment.

  "Have a sit first. Give me a second." Hyukjae said as he gestured Donghae to the couch and then he hurried into his room.

 Hyukjae kept his house neat and tidy; everything was in perfect order, a contrast from Donghae's room. He wondered if there was a maid but Hyukjae later told him that he disliked the idea of having someone else in his apartment. On the coffee table in front of him laid several fashion magazines with y, chic models on the cover page and beside them was a tray full of cigarettes. There were a few more newly purchased packs next to it.

While he was in the midst of his thoughts, Hyukjae came out happily and covered Donghae's eyes from behind. He then placed the little surprise beside Donghae.

"You can look now," he chuckled. Then, the latter looked around him and found a small box lying on the couch beside him. He looked up at Hyukjae with curious, happy eyes and then slowly opened it. A warm smile crept up his face.

"You like it?" Hyukjae asked eagerly as he sat down close beside Donghae.

Donghae nodded, showing his appreciation. He felt a sort of barrier blocking his excitement. He's in love with Hyukjae but there was something else...

"What's wrong, Hae? " asked the elder tenderly. Hyukjae then noticed the magazines on the table and he placed them away.

"Aww…because of those? I don't give a about them anymore," he babbled. Then he averted his gaze back at Donghae and smiled. 

"I have you…" He whispered softly.

Donghae's thin lips curved into a grin, for a moment the troubling feeling was remedied. He held the beautiful, silver necklace in his hands. It was lovely. Hyukjae smiled warmly, taking the necklace and wearing it around Donghae's neck. Donghae turned around gazed at Hyukjae with loving eyes. Hyukjae too, returned him the same loving gaze. Their faces were barely inches apart that moment. Donghae's felt his heart fluttered when Hyukjae leaned forward a little and planted a chaste kiss on his forehead and then passionately on his lips.

His question was answered without any confession or words. Hyukjae cared for him, Hyukjae loved him.

Nothing was more enchanting for Donghae than spending the night watching movies together, locked in each other's comfortable embrace. Donghae stared blankly at the television throughout the time. His attention wasn't really on the movies, his attention was on Hyukjae. Him being in Hyukjae's embrace, those and caresses, and listening to his jokes, his voice, Donghae couldn't be happier…

 

 

That summer flowed along smoothly…

Perhaps it was the devotion for dogs and a little morning dog-walking routine that brought them together after all…

They continued to walk their lives into happiness…

 

***

 

And so, they have come a long way,

Walked happiness till today…

 

  It was an early autumn morning. Crisp, copper leaves fell off the trees as the cool, gentle autumn wind blew, scattering red and gold all over the path beside the Han River. The clouds overlapped across the sky, giving it a gloomy feeling…

  Donghae stayed a little longer, leaning against the railing. He gazed blankly and hopelessly at the passers-by that went pass him like the flow of a river. Anxiety grew every minute and unexplainable pain began seeping deeper through his heart, sharply, like a thorn on the stem of a rose. He sighed.

  He attempted to call again. Maybe there would be hope, but after waiting desperately for the other side to pick up, it just turned out hopeless in the end again. Donghae sat down moodily on the bench nearby and held the cup of hot cocoa he had bought for Hyukjae in his hands. It was one of Hyukjae favourite drinks in autumn after strawberry milk, which will always remain first in his list all season. Donghae smiled weakly. Whenever he felt moody or sad, it was always Hyukjae who enlightened his spirits. That man was special. Everything about him wasn't totally perfect but he was charming, just like a snowflake…

  Time continued to pass by. People sauntered passed Donghae with happiness, laughter, and accompany. Passionate young couples hand in hand, dog owners walking their excited pet, children chatted noisily and played around with each other…But an atmosphere of loneliness and sadness surrounded Donghae. He continued to wait, just as he had promised. And so, he came by for the past two days, with Yuki, waiting and waiting for Hyukjae's appearance. His soul grew gloomier and spiritless but yet desperation and eagerness burned within his crying heart.

  "Woof,"

  Yuki looked at its owner with its hopeful, curious eyes and whined softly as it cuddled close by Donghae's legs, endeavoring to receive attention. Donghae could feel the comfortable warmth of Yuki as its fur brushed against his legs.  He looked down apologetically at the poor, lonely dog that was desperate to go for a walk. Yuki barked excitedly and wagged its tail playfully when Donghae reached out his hand and gave a gentle pat on its head.

  "Oh dear, I am so sorry Yuki, you must be bored, " Donghae cooed as he the little dog's silky, white fur.  "Don't worry, you'll meet Choco…"

  He considered for a second in silence, and then he got up and smiled at Yuki.

  "Come on, let's go for a walk in the park…"

  The dog barked cheerfully and began to forge ahead excitedly, keeping the leash taut. Donghae chuckled and hurried his pace after Yuki.

 Donghae turned around and had one last look at the lonely bench left far behind. There was no sign of Hyukjae. Donghae's thin lips curved into a little frown. Hesitantly, he decided he should drink the hot cocoa or it would be a waste. Then, he averted his gaze back at Yuki who continued to walk enthusiastically ahead, hoping it would meet Choco soon at the park.

  Donghae gently combed his dark auburn bangs to the side and walked away. His mind was starting to become a mess of worries, anger and cogitation. Tears of frustration broke out from the corner of his eyes and were soon gradually gone with the empty chilliness of the autumn wind.

  Hyukjae…where are you?

 

After strolling several laps around the relaxing setting of the park and occasionally stopping by to have some conversation with other dog walkers, Donghae and Yuki sauntered along the winding pathway that led to the top of a small, sparsely forested hill- their usual spot.

 Away from the bustling and slightly crowded and populated region of the park, the place was peaceful and quiet. It was a romantic secret garden ever since he met Hyukjae.

   The trees cast an orangey-gold shade on the soft, comfortable grass as their branches and leaves spread out wide in the sky, sunlight splintering through them. It was enchanting.

  Donghae sat down the soft grass, leaning comfortably against the bark of the tree whilst Yuki sprawled across his laps, relaxing with ease. This was the 'magical' tree, the area where a miracle occurred. Donghae inhaled the fresh morning air around him and closed his eyes.

  "Remember, all you need to do is close your eyes, open your heart and feel the flow of the air around you. Just feel the flow of the air, babe…" He would say, in his mesmeric, charming voice.

  Donghae sighed and shook his head as he opened his eyes again. He slipped out his phone from the side pocket of his jeans and dialed Hyukjae's number. It was to no avail again.

"Where the hell are you?? Don't make me worry!! Where are you…" Donghae muttered, his voice trailed off weakly.

 He stared blankly at his phone. There were neither messages nor missed calls from him. His eyes clouded. The next few minutes, Donghae let his time pass with soft sobs.

There was a mild breeze and the branches swayed, leaves rattled. Donghae gazed up dreamily at the sky, wishing Hyukjae would turn up. He caressed Yuki's silky white fur lovingly and kept himself engrossed in a deep thought.

 Then, out of the blue, something caught his eyes, from between the branches above. Donghae blinked his eyes several times and stared up at the thing clustered between the leaves and branch. He squint his eyes for a better view, curiously, as if he had spotted a hidden treasure. It was only a few seconds later that he realized it was a piece of paper.                                                                                      

  He carried Yuki off his laps gently and stood up. Donghae reached out his hands as high as possible. It wasn't as easy, the paper was placed at a high branch, where people would not notice it easily. Knowing that it was impossible by stretching out, Donghae picked a long thin branch that lied on the ground nearby and reached out for the paper again. At last, it finally came down and landed on the grass. With curiosity, he unfolded it, only to find that it was not only one piece of paper. On one of the pieces, it wrote:

 

Donghae … I have always loved you the most dearly and passionately…

But I hated myself. I had made it too late to go back in time…

Keeping this away from you all those days,…please forgive me for only telling you now…

I love you, Donghae…You made my days bright and cheerful…Forgive me…

 

Love,

Hyukjae

 

  Donghae stared at the paper in silence.

 Hyukjae…      

 He clutched it tight in his hands and brought it to his chest. His eyes welled up hot tears, he rubbed them away and held them back. With trembling hands, he read through the other paper, a health condition report.  Donghae frowned.

 Impossible…

 Nope…

 Drops of sad tears stained and smeared the words on the paper.

 He sat down on the grass and leaned against the tree, he clenched the paper tighter in his fists.

 Hyukjae…why….why…must it be you…His heart cried.

  He couldn't bear it any longer. Tears gushed out of his eyes and down his cheeks as he buried his face in his hands. He cried out Hyukjae's name in his soft heart-broken sobs and deep inside him, his heart wept in pain. Flashbacks of their past moments together quickly ran through like flipping of a book then it stopped as it came to an end. Donghae sobbed uncontrollably, how he wished Hyukjae was by his side, consoling him with his nice, warm voice, enveloping him into a warm, comforting embrace in his arms. But Hyukjae was not there…

 Hyukjae cared for him, Hyukjae loved him, he cared for him so much he had hid this matter in the dark all those years, he had never smoked while he's around him…

  Donghae placed the papers aside on the ground and gazed up into the sky, his eyes red and weary from crying so hard. 

  Hyukjae….

  Donghae averted his gaze back at the ground and picked up the last unread paper. It was a scrap paper, crumbled with creases, written on it in the beautiful calligraphy of Hyukjae's, was a short song dedicated to him. A weak smile appeared on Donghae's face. Feeling touched, hot elated tears clouded his vision.

 Oh Hyukjae...Donghae sobbed sadly as he read the heartwarming words that lay before him on the paper…

 

Your handsome beauty, your charming smile,

Oh, your warmth that embraced me, I'm wonderstruck~

Babe, I just want to be that mask, if it could be stared by you always.

The reason that makes me perfect

Makes me live, oh makes me laugh baby

Is having you

You are that reason

I love you~

 

 

  A light breeze rustled. The bright sun slowly crept over the grey, gloomy sky.

Donghae closed his eyes. His hand held on to the silver necklace that Hyukjae gave him.

 If only, this present reality was just a dream…

He drifted off into sleep unconsciously. Beads of tears slowly rolled down his pale cheeks from the corner of his closed eyes.

  In his dream, he walked back to happiness. There, he saw himself two years ago, mesmerized by the charming beauty of the blonde that very summer morning…

Hyukjae…

 

 

 

 

 

 

******