Goodbye...

An Angel's Goodbye

 

Sorry for the wait! I rewrote this chap because it was too sad they way I wrote it before...I couldn't handle it lol Anyway, hope you enjoy! 



 

I awoke, but didn’t open my eyes. I felt a light breeze on my face. I was laying on something soft. Goose feather? I forced my eyes open. It was bright white. I winced, feeling small breaths against my neck.

 

Turning my head slightly, I was met with a face, the face of an angel… my angel. Her eyes fluttered open. My heart sank. Those beautiful brown orbs looked at me curiously.

 

“Good-morning.” She spoke. Her voice was soft and gentle… just as I remembered it.

 

I wanted to reply, but my emotions were too overwhelming as a tear escaped my eye.

 

“Why are you crying? Don’t cry…” She gently wiped my tears off my cheek.

 

I failed to conjure words as she put a finger on my lips.

 

“It’s time to wake up now Sooyoungie…” She whispered nearing my face. I instinctively closed my eyes, only to have the calm and relaxing atmosphere disappear.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 I could hear a loud commotion buzz around me. What’s going on? “Jess…sica.” I whispered so faintly. My throat was dry. I could feel mask over my nose and mouth.

 

“Just hold on Chief… it’s going to be alright.” I heard a voice softly whisper in my ear. I could barely open my eyes; only bright lights blurred by. I could recognize that I was laying on a flat surface, but it was moving. Various dark figures surrounded me.

 

“Hurry up! We’re losing her!” more voices yelled.

 

A sharp pain in my abdomen forced me to fall back into unconsciousness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I could feel that faint breeze again.

 

“I made you breakfast…” The angelic figure stood beside me. She smiled softly.

 

I simply nodded.

 

“Come on now sleepyhead.” She said before leaving the room. I sat up as well examining my surroundings. It was calm… the bed was centered in the room, the walls were a creamy colour, and a window was on the far right of me, the curtains blowing lightly. No blood. No pain. My mind felt at ease.

 

The smell of fresh pancakes snuck through the cracked open door. The aroma was irresistible. I turned firmly held the knob, walking through a short hallway and followed the scent.

 

The beautiful woman caught my eye as she diligently placed a stack of pancakes on the end of a small rectangular table. Without any words, we sat down across from each other.

 

Salivating. I dug in without hesitation. The taste was something like nothing I’ve tasted before. It was sweet, and the texture was delicate, and light. A soft giggle was heard from the other side. I looked up and was met with that heart-melting smile. The smile she only showed me.

 

“I’ll take that you like them… I’m glad.” She whispered her last words.

 

I nodded happily, satisfied with the blissful feeling in my stomach.

 

My words finally came out comfortably. “When did you get so good at cooking?”

 

“I’ve been practicing… they finally turned out just right. I wanted you to try them.” She replied. I reached across wanting to touch her, but blackness took over.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Sooyoung!” I heard another voice calling my name. “Stay with me!” they sounded desperate. My hearing was still slightly muffled, but I could still hear more yelling.

 

“We don’t have time to wait! We need to do this now!” The masculine voice instructed.

 

I could feel my body being lifted and abruptly set down on a hard surface. A bright beam of light flashed in my face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

I could feel warmth run through my body. I looked down and felt her hand in mine. She walked slowly as she led me to a large, black piano in what seemed to be the living room. She let go of my hand taking a seat in front of a piano. She glanced at me. “I’ve wanted you listen to this I’ve just never had the chance… no laughing!” she giggled.

 

I only smiled, waiting with anticipation.

 

She began to play to first few notes of the familiar song.

 

Oh, thinking about our younger years.

There was only you and me,

We were young and wild and free.

Now nothing can take you away from me.

We've been down that road before,

But that's over now.

You keep me coming back for more…

 

My heart skipped. I closed my eyes, letting her voice carry me. I felt so light.

 

Baby you're all that I want.

When you're lying here in my arms,

I'm finding it hard to believe

We're in heaven.

And love is all that I need

And I found it there in your heart.

It isn't too hard to see

We're in heaven.

 

I opened my eyes. She was playing an interlude and I walked towards her, singing the next verse.

 

Now, nothing could change what you mean to me.

There's a lot that I could say,

But just hold me now.

Cause our love will light the way…

 

We sang the chorus together.

 

Baby you're all that I want.

When you're lying here in my arms,

I'm finding it hard to believe

We're in heaven.

And love is all that I need

And I found it there in your heart.

It isn't too hard to see

We're in heaven.

 

She stopped playing. I took a seat beside her and our hands met each other.

 

“Your voice is beautiful…” I commented.

 

She nudged my arm lightly with an embarrassed look on her face.

 

“Am I… in heaven?” I asked her innocently.  

 

I felt her giggling at my remark. “I don’t know. What do you think?”

 

“Every time I feel your warmth, I see your smile, I hear your voice… I feel like I am.” I replied sincerely.

 

She leaned her head onto my shoulder. “Me too.”

 

“Sica…”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Clear!” My chest jolted upwards. The sudden movement caused me to gasp. A steady beeping was heard.

 

I could hear a door burst open. “CHIEF!!” A voice screeched across the room.

 

“Hey! You can’t be in here right now!” Lots of shuffling and commotion stirred. My eyes remained closed with no strength to lift them.

 

Come on Chief… Stick with me!” I felt two hands gripping my shoulders. The pain running through my body was excruciating, but I could not make a sound.

 

Their grip released, easing the tension. “Let go of me!” More struggling and grunting ensued. “CHIEF, I KNOW YOU CAN HEAR ME! WAKE UP!!”

 

The door slammed shut and loud banging could be heard.

 

My mind was still confused and disheveled but that loud voice was becoming more familiar…

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Slowly my memories began to recollect, but the angel that stood in front of me wearing a long, white, silky dress dazed me.

 

She walked over to me. “I want to show you something. Close your eyes.”

 

I obediently shut my eyes as I could feel her drag me away, our hands still tightly hugging one another. I didn’t want to lose it again.

 

I felt a cool but light breeze on my face and sand ran between my toes. Were we on a beach? I tried to peek open my eyes.

 

“No peeking!” she said, covering my eyes with her free hand.

 

“Okay, Okay.” I gave in.

 

A couple minutes later she stopped. “Okay, open them.”

 

I opened my eyes, exposing the scene before me. We stood on a beach, the pastel coloured sky painted over the unwavering ocean. The sun was just peeking over the horizon, glistening across the water. I awed at sight.

 

“Why?” I asked out of the blue.

 

She turned to me. “What do you mean?”

 

“All of this… I’m imagining it right? It’s too good to be true.”

 

“If you are imagining it, does that mean I am too?”

 

I looked at her. I mean, truly looked at her for the first time since this began happening. Sadness filled her eyes.

 

Memories suddenly flooded through my mind. Glimpses of flashbacks took hold of me.

 

{Flashback}

 

“Sooyoung…” Jessica tapped my shoulder.

 

“WHAT?” I yelled in frustration, slamming my hands on my desk.

 

She backed off a little. “Don’t stress over this… it is only one man.”

 

“Just one man? Jessica, that man is the biggest criminal in this country! No, in this entire continent! You don’t know what he’s capable of…” I vented out sighing deeply, my face buried in my palms.

 

“Yes, but he’s still your…”

 

“DON’T say it.” I grunted.

 

“Soo…” She continued softly.

 

“Just go.”

 

“What?”

 

“GO!” I yelled pointing at the door. Her eyes filled with sadness, as she obeyed my order.

 

---------------------

 

I cooled down a bit while sitting in my office. Immediately feeling regret, I tried calling her cell and texting her, but I got no reply. I assumed that she was upset over what happened.

 

A fellow officer burst into the room panting. “Chief!” She gulped.

 

“What is it Officer Kim?” I ask professionally.

 

“It’s about your partner…” She continued to pant holding her knees.

 

“What about Jessica?” I stood up.

 

“She was taken hostage…”

 

“By who?” My heart pounded. It couldn’t be…

 

The young officer narrowed her eyes. “Him.”

 

-----------------------

 

I loaded my gun, slipping on my vest over my jacket and slipping on my badge and hat. They already found their hideout location moments ago. I guess the old man preferred to play cat and mouse over hide and seek.

 

I was about to leave when the buzzing of my phone echoed through my office. It continued buzzing, so I went to see who it was.

 

[Sica]

 

My heart nearly stopped. Without hesitation I answered it.

 

“Jessica?!” I yelled through the phone.

 

“Come get her Sooyoung. She’s waiting.” A deep voice chuckled through the phone.

 

“Damn you old man… if you lay one finger on her…” I threatened, but stopped when I heard a quiet whimper.

 

“Soo…young…ie.” She said slowly.

 

“Jessica! Hold on! I’ll be right there okay? Please…” I begged.

 

“How sweet…you better hurry. Her time is running out.” That old man chucked before the line died.

 

“Wai---SH*T!” I cursed through the phone. Slamming it back on the desk, rushing out the door.

{End Flashback}

 

Everything came back to me. Reality suddenly hit me harder than a pile of bricks. My body began to shake uncontrollably and I fell to my knees. Tears flooded my eyes.

 

I covered my face with my palms. “I’m so sorry… I…I couldn’t save you… ” I cried between staggered breaths. “I was too late… I’m sorry…It’s all my fault.” I continued to apologize letting my emotions pour out. Never have I cried so hard in my life, but I couldn’t hold it in anymore. My heart felt like it was suffocating as I onto clenched my chest. All of the pain I had felt before was returning.

 

A pair of arms wrap around me. “What are you apologizing for?” Jessica’s voice filled with sympathy.

 

“I hurt so many people… I hurt you… saying such selfish things, when you were just being kind. I really am no different from him.” I exclaimed bitterly through my tears.

 

I couldn’t meet her gaze. She released her hug and raised my chin to meet her face. “Hey… don’t say that. You are nothing like your father.”

 

She tried to wipe my endless waterfall of tears. “Do you know the biggest difference between you and him are?”

 

I didn’t respond.

 

She continued, “He was cold, cruel and he had no heart, but you…” she paused staring deeply into my eyes. “You have the warmest heart of anyone I know… you melted me didn’t you?” Her tone was sincere as she glinted that smile that I loved so much.

 

She took a deep breath. “The last thing I said to him… the thing that made him crack… do you want to know?”

 

I looked at her waiting for her to continue.

 

“I said that you have something that he’d never have.” I anticipated for her to continue. “Someone who loves them.”

 

I finally met her eyes. The tears were drying, but I still continued sniffling.

 

“I love you Sooyoung.” she whispered not removing her gaze from mine. “The only pain I felt… was your pain...” she pointed at my chest. “…In here.”  

 

“I’m sorry.” I apologized.

 

“There is nothing to be sorry about Sooyoung… If its forgiveness you’re looking for… then you’ve already been forgiven I don’t want you to live with guilt and regret.”

 

“Please don’t leave me again…” I whispered brushing my thumb over her cheek.

 

“I never left…” she stared at me with those beautiful brown orbs.

 

I leaned in capturing her lips with mine.

 

We pulled away slowly.

 

“I love you Jessica.” I freely admitted.

 

“I know.” She smiled one final time. “Goodbye Sooyoung…”

 

With that, she faded, as did everything around me.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

My eyes fluttered open. I was met to a plain white ceiling. There was weight on the left side of my bed.

 

“Officer Kim…” I managed to say in a whisper, but loud enough to wake the girl.

 

“CHIEF!!” she screamed hugging me.

 

I winced at the contact, as my bandaged body was extremely sore all over.  “Oh, sorry!” she apologized childishly.

 

I sat up slowly and silence took over the room. I decide to break the ice. “You’re so loud you know?” I chuckle lightly.

 

“You heard?!” She seemed shocked but had that ‘I-knew-it’ look pasted on her face.

 

“It’s impossible not to.” I continue to joke with my colleague.

 

The young officer’s voice becomes serious for a moment. “Chief… I’m sorry about… you know.” She bowed her head.

 

I gently raise my arm and pat her hanging head. “You saved me… thank-you.”

 

She raises her head with a crooked smile. Her phone beeped.

 

“Ah sorry, I’ve got to take this…” she bowed politely before leaving the room.

 

I glanced out the window. The sun shone through the large, puffy clouds situated across the ocean blue sky. It was peaceful.

 

“Goodbye Sica…please wait for me…” I whispered and felt sudden warmth overcome my body and I close my eyes.

 

I truly felt at peace. 



 

Thanks for reading! Comments? :)