A Christmas Miracle

A Christmas Miracle

"Are you cold?" His warm, comforting voice asks.

"No." Was my answer.

"Let me know when you are."

I nod my head and put my hand out.

"What is it?"

"I'm just feeling something I can't see." I smile sadly as I feel his warm gloved hand hold my cold and clammy one.

"Your hands are ice and you want to stick them out to get covered in snow?!" He scolds as he begins to rub my hands and attempts to warm them.

"Jonghyun oppa..."

"Hmm?"

"Tell me something."

"Anything."

I smile at his answer before I continue. "What do the decorations look like? Is it pretty?"

"Why would I sit here describing something you're much prettier than?"

I blush. "Please? I can imagine things so clearly when you describe. It's like I can even see colors. Please, oppa?"

"Anything for you. There's red, white, green, blue, lots of colors. Lights on trees and windows. There's a big tree in the center that reflects in the water. The lights look pretty on the water. There's an angel on top of the tree. Even the angel is glowing."

"Angels." I say sadly. "Oppa, do you believe in miracles?"

"Do you mean: "Do I believe you will ever see"? Is that it?"

I shake my head.

"I'm not much for believing in miracles but I believe in you. So, neh, I believe you will see someday."

I smile and he stops rubbing my warmed hands so that he can hold them.

"Thank you for the description! It sounds beautiful. Especially, the reflection on the water."

"You thank me too much. What have I ever done for you?"

I'm surprised by his response and pull my hands away.

"Everything! Don't you ever belittle it!" I scoot farther from him on the bench.

"Jieun-ah, don't be mad! Please!"

I feel him move closer and I move back.

"Stay away and listen to me!" I feel him stop shifting as I continue. "You've done everything for me! You've made me happy! You've helped me through everything, you've been kind, and you've shown me what love is. Most of all, you're my eyes! What could I ever do without you, oppa? So don't question what you've done! I'm the one that hasn't done anything. So, you see, I should be thanking you every minute. Thanking you is the only thing I can give you."

"Ani, ani! You're wrong. Just you is everything I'll ever need."

I feel him hold onto my hands and cautiously move closer to me. I smile and move closer as well.

"Are you sorry? You won't do that again? Promise?"

"Neh." He answers.

"Good."

"So will you be ready to leave tomorrow?"

"For what?" I ask, puzzled.

"For vising my umma and noona for Christmas! It's Christmas eve tomorrow and we're going to spend the weekend."

"Omo! Erm...ani, oppa. Ani!"

"You don't want to?" He asks, sounding hurt.

"It's not that. I love your umma and noona! It's just...I wouldn't want to interrupt family time."

"But you are family! Besides, I wouldn't want you alone for Christmas."

"Is it...really all right? With your umma and noona, I mean?"

"They're expecting you and wouldn't have it any other way."

"Oh, if it's all right then."

"And you really are family, Jieun-ah. Especially, now."

"Hmm?" I feel him put something on my finger.

"It's gold with a white diamond. I engraved something on it. 'For my love with the most beautiful eyes in the world.' Will you accept it?"

I feel tears forming in my eyes. "Oppa, are you proposing?"

"Of course."

I smile and lean in to hug him.

"I accept, oppa. Thank you!"

"Hehe, you're thanking me again." I feel his arms tighten around me as I hear sniffing.

"Oppa...are you crying, too?"

"Neh..."

I sit up to put my hands on his face. I move my hands around to find his lips. For the first time, I lean in to kiss him.

"Saranghae, Jonghyun oppa" I say once I end the kiss.

"Saranghae, Jieun-ah."

I smile as I hug him once more. "I didn't think I could ever be happy. I never saw a future. How could a blind person ever have a future? Now I am."

"Neh! I promise to make you happy in your future."

"And our children?" I smile as I ask.

"Of course, our children, too."

I pull away and put my head on his shoulder.

"I can't want to tell your umma and noona!"

"They already know. They're going to congratulate you tomorrow."

I laugh. "Sneaky oppa! You had this all planned, didn't you?"

"Maybe." He laughs.

"You've given me so many things. I just wish I could give you something. I don't even have a Christmas present for you. I know you said--"

"Shoo!" He cuts me off and kisses my head. "You have given me something. In fact, you've given me the best Christmas present I've received."

He hugs me.

"You've given yourself to me, Jieun-ah."

I smile. "Merry Christmas, oppa."

"Merry Christmas."

We kiss once more under the snowy sky and in front of that beautiful Christmas with the angel on top reflecting in the water.

Miracles really do exist.