The Night Prowler

The Phantoms of the Sleeping Cat Guest House
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Night Prowler

            Kyuhyun was in a daze by the time he got off the plane and headed to the area to pick up his checked luggage.  It had been several months since he’d been in South Korea, having travelled through Europe for an extended and much-needed break from home.  He’d just forgotten what a time-jump travelling so far would be.  It was already nighttime and he was dead tired from flying all day and being cramped in a seat by the window.  His muscles were sore and he had a headache.  All he wanted was to sleep.  Thank God he didn’t have far to go.

            Once he’d picked up his bags, he headed to the departure area where a man holding a sign with his name stood.  This was the driver from the Sleeping Cat Guesthouse where Kyuhyun would be staying for the next month or so while he finished his screenplay.  He’d never even heard of the place, but his agent, Leeteuk, was good friends with one of the owners and insisted that this place would inspire him to finish his work.  Leeteuk had always acted more like an older brother than a demanding agent and he trusted him, so he booked the room for the next month.  If he went back to Seoul, he’d never get his work done.  There was nothing good waiting for him there.  Not anymore.

            He walked over the man, who looked so beautiful, he might have been mistaken for a woman at first glance.  His brown hair was a little long, hanging down past his ears, and his plump lips were nearly red.  He was tall, thin, and wore stylish clothes.  This must be Kim Heechul.  Leeteuk described him in detail over the phone and this man fit the description perfectly. 

      

            “Although his brother, Ryeowook, is very beautiful as well.  They come from good genes, but Ryeowook is shorter.  Heechul will be nearly your own height.  Also, while Heechul almost looks like a woman sometimes—indeed, he even dressed up like one from time to time, back in the day—his brother looks more like a ten year old boy that hasn’t hit puberty yet.”

            “I feel they wouldn’t like these descriptions of them very much, hyung,” Kyuhyun pointed out.

            “Heechul might actually be flattered that I think he looks like a woman.  Ryeowook might poison my tea the next time I visit.”

            “I think I will tell them what you said about them, just to make life more interesting,” Kyuhyun threatened.

            “You do that and we shall see what kind of service you get there,” Leeteuk threatened, not sounding the least bit intimidated by him.  “You forget that I was college roommates with Heechul and we are very close.  You go right ahead and we shall see who the Kim brothers are faithful to.”

            Kyuhyun couldn’t tell if he was bluffing or not.  He’d never heard his agent mention his college roommate before suggesting he return to South Korea to finish the screenplay.  Heechul only came up when Kyuhyun refused to return home, to Seoul.  There were too many bad memories there that he wasn’t willing to face yet.  Not until he had a long break from work, perhaps. 

            “Fine.  Assuming you don’t harass me about the screenplay on a daily basis once I get back, I’ll consider not telling them.  But you better not be suggesting that I stay at the Sleeping Cat just so they can spy on me for you.”

            “Well, of course that’s the main reason, Kyu.  Why else would I suggest it?  Certainly there isn’t anything else about the Sleeping Cat that would help you finish your horror screenplay, is there?”

            Kyuhyun’s brows furrowed as he stood on the balcony of his hotel room, looking out at the Eiffel Tower.  “Is this some trick?  Is there something that you’re not telling me about the place?”

            Leeteuk laughed at this.  “Of course not.  You enjoy your last night in Paris.  I’ll arrange for one of the Kim brothers to meet you at the airport when your plane comes in.  Enjoy your flight, Kyuhyun.  I’ll drive to Incheon in a week or so and check in on you once you’ve settled in.”

            “All right, hyung.  Thank you for making all the arrangements.”

            “Good-bye.  See you soon!”

            “Bye.”

            Kyuhyun turned off his phone, but he looked down at it with unease.  His agent wasn’t telling him something about either the Kims or the Sleeping Cat Guesthouse.  He felt certain about it.  But what choice did he have?  Kyuhyun was too far away to make his own plans.  If he hated it there, he could always find a new place to stay once he arrived in Incheon.  For now, this would have to do.  It was still better that going home. 

 

            Kyuhyun stopped in front of the man with the sign and set down his bags.  Then he extended his hand.  “Hello.  I’m Cho Kyuhyun.”

            Heechul stared at him a moment, then pointed to his sign.  “You’re Cho Kyuhyun?  The screenwriter?”

            Kyuhyun nodded.

            Heechul smiled warmly and shook his hand.  “Leeteuk never mentioned that you were so young…or attractive!  Ah, now I feel bad that I’m leaving tomorrow for China.  I’ll miss out on seeing you for part of your stay.  I’m Kim Heechul, by the way.  Your agent and I are good friends.”

            “So he’s told me,” Kyuhyun said.

            “I have the van parked.  Would you like me to drive up or do you want to walk?”

            “I would like to walk, since I’ve been sitting in a plane for eleven hours.  My legs need to stretch a little,” he said.

            Heechul grabbed one of the bags and led the way to the van.  “We usually don’t pick up guests this late at night, but since you’re our only guest at the moment and you have such high connections, I couldn’t refuse.  Besides, I’m kind of a night owl anyway.  My brother isn’t.  He’s already asleep.  And he’s a stickler about breakfast.  He serves it between seven and ten in the morning.  If you sleep past that, you aren’t getting any.”

            “I’m so tired from my flight, I don’t think I’m worried about getting up early to eat breakfast.”

    

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter