Look

Look

“So what’s the point of even going to this club with me if you aren’t even going to try to get at least one person’s number?” Your friend, Minseo, said; annoyance clear in her voice. After seemingly endless week of work and school, she had proposed the idea of going out, more specifically, to the opening of a new club in Itaewon.

 

Instead of turning to look at the black haired girl beside you, you watched as two raindrops raced each other down the window. The bright lights of the surrounding districts of Seoul provided the droplets with tiny bits of color. You loved the rain.
 

What you weren't so fond of, however, was your friend of seven years pushing you to go out. Your reluctance was caused partly caused by the fact that you were exhausted in absolutely every way possible. You're body ached from having to move products from the stock room and put them on display. You're feet hurt, not just because of the heels you were wearing, but because you had been standing for the past nine hours. You're eyes were heavy and burning from having only gotten three hours of sleep the previous night; you could thank your professor for that though, though, he was the one who decided to change half of your final exam. Stupid finals, you thought as you ran a hand through your purple dyed hair.
 

You offered a shrug in response to the question despite the fact that you knew it was rhetorical. “I don’t know,” you sighed, shifting your gaze from the glass pane to Minseo. She always looked so serious, but you knew better. If you had to nominate a single person for a Most Likely to be Doing Anything Other but Actual Work Award, it would be her. “I just...don’t want to, I guess.”

 

The light turned red at your current intersection, so she turned her head to look at you. “This is about Hyeonwoo, isn’t it?”

 

You choked a little bit at the mention of the name.

 

To be honest, you were still not over your recent break up. Your ex, Hyeonwoo, had cheated on you, and even though you were the one to break up with him four months ago, you still weren’t entirely ready to re-enter the world of dating just yet. He was the other reason that just eating glass sounded better than going to some party with large crowds and music loud enough to make your hearing fuzzy when it was over.

 

“No,” you said, a bit too quick and a bit too defensive for it to be believable.

 

Minseo raised an eyebrow in question, and though it wasn’t a verbal prompt, it made you crack.

 

Your eyes dropped down to your hands, which were rested in your lap. The miniscule specks of glitter brushed on top of your light pink painted nails shimmered in the most beautiful way as they caught the glow of passing street and head lights. You knew that she knew the reason that  you were being so hesitant.

 

“Okay, okay,” you whined. “Just...stop with that look, please, dear Lord!”

 

The girl shook her head and gave a sigh. “Look, (Y/N),” she began, tone more sober than you had ever heard before. “I understand he hurt you. I understand that you gave this...moron...two whole years of your life, but really, you do need to start to move on. And wouldn’t going out, having a good time, and meeting new people be a huge ‘ you’?”

 

The usage of the word “moron” made you smile, especially since you knew that Minseo knew plenty of other more colorful adjectives and would use them if you hadn't previously told her to stop. You knew, though, that she was right, and you did crave that feeling of blissful satisfaction that came with showing the world what you could do. In this case, in particular, when the world said “Go ahead. Break up with me. I know you’ll be calling me at two in the morning a week from now crying about how you need me,” you wanted to let it be known that you needed nobody. So maybe getting a number or, hell, going home with some new guy wouldn’t be such a horrible thing.

 

You nearly laughed at yourself. Sleeping with total strangers wasn’t quite your cup of tea, but you weren’t completely opposed to the idea of finding a date.

 

“I guess,” you said, picking your head back up. The light had changed again and the two of you were once again on your way down the busy city streets.

 

It didn’t take too much longer to reach your destination. After a search for a parking space, you found yourself walking through the glossy and heavy set of double doors. You found yourself to be a bit overwhelmed, but when Minseo placed a comforting hand on your arm and gave you a reassuring smile, you relaxed a bit, adjusted your skirt, and walked around the perimeter of the spacious room. “I’m going to get a drink,” you informed your friend, having to shout to manage being heard over the music.

 

Meanwhile, six boys stood under lights that were flashing between green, blue, and purple. The music was louder than they were used to, which was really saying something, considering the fact that they worked in the industry.

 

Half of the group were not exactly thrilled to be there. They had gotten up early that morning, doing some interviews, practicing new dances, running all over the place as they tried to stick to their seemingly endless schedule.

 

Now was supposed to be their time to relax, so when a certain group member--a man named Wonshik--decided to drag the five others to a grand opening of a club, they weren’t entirely enthusiastic.

 

Four members stood leaning against the bar, each having some kind of drink on the granite countertop placed in front of them, two others were lost somewhere in the sea of people that was the dance floor.

 

“Hyung,” the second youngest, Hongbin, said, having to shout a bit to grab the elder’s attention. “I get why you’re here, but why can’t we go home? It’s kind of late, and we have to be up even earlier than this morning...”

 

Wonshik didn’t fail to notice how his dongsaeng had trailed off, and he couldn’t help but sigh. He knew he was asking a lot of them to put off much needed sleep so that they could accompany him to the opening of Arcane, a club started by a close friend of his.

 

He stared down at the auburn colored beverage in front of him; the bass of the upbeat and deafening music could be felt in his chest. He could understand how people like Hongbin and Taekwoon, another member, weren’t exactly enthralled with the idea of having late nights drinking and dancing the night away with women they would never see again.

 

His eyes moved to his silver watch, surprised to find that it was already eleven-thirty. How they had managed to waste an hour and a half just standing at the bar and talking to one another surprised him. Sure he liked to go out once in awhile, but if Wonshik was to be completely honest, this was the most fun he had had while clubbing in a long while.

 

A pang of guilt hit him; not incredibly hard, but it was enough to let the other boys go. “You know what,” he started, running a hand through his bleached hair, looking directly at his friend and group member. “You guys can head home. You’re right. It is late, and I shouldn’t be keeping you here.”

 

He turned to Hakyeon, the browned haired leader. “Hyung, you guys can take the car. I’ll get a taxi or something.”

 

Due to his mother-like nature, Hakyeon was a bit weary of letting his younger friend stay out in a busy club all by his lonesome self, especially since he was a member of Vixx, a group who was quickly gaining popularity, rising to a whole new level of stardom. He decided, though, that it was in the best interest of everyone involved, to follow Wonshik’s advice.

 

Within the next five minutes, the two missing members, Jaehwan and Hyuk, had been collected from the dance floor, and parting words had been said.

 

As the five members made their way to the door, leaving the rapper standing alone with his drink, he let his eyes scan the room, stopping at a girl of shorter stature and purple hair. It was obvious that it wasn’t natural, but it was stunning.

 

An uncomfortable feeling washed over you as you placed your order to the bar-tender. You went for a soda, rather than something alcoholic. If you had to be in class bright and early (which, to you was considered about ten) the next morning, then you would rather not have to deal with the headache and nausea that came with a hangover.

 

You turned around so that the middle of your back and elbows were leaning on the counter and did a once over of the room.

Someone was watching you, and you weren’t entirely sure how you felt about it. It wasn’t until you looked to your left that you saw him. A man with bleached blond hair stood at the other end of the bar, drink in hand, clearly staring straight at you.

 

While making eye contact, you felt your face heated up, and suddenly, you were thankful that the room was so dark; no one had to know that you were blushing.

 

“Hey,” Minseo said, once again at your side. “What are you looking at?”

 

Your attention was brought back to your friend, but you were so transfixed by the man; something in you made you want to gravitate towards him. You took a moment to respond, having to process what she had just said. “What? Oh, nothing. Hey-um...I’ll...I’ll be right back,” you said, setting your glass down.

 

You were about to walk to the other end of the counter when Minseo grabbed your wrist. “Wait,” she said, the slightest of laughs punctuating the exclamation. “Where are you going?”

 

You turned back to face her, heels of your shoes clicking the wooden floor beneath you. You adjusted your hair, shirt, and skirt, trying to look as presentable as possible.

“Me? To go get a phone number.”