Realization

Fall apart

Heungsoo was staring at the glass bowl in front of him. It had fog trapped inside and was slowly twirling into small clouds. He blinked and now those clouds are slowly darkening.

“Maya…really?”

“Yes. My psychic gig can’t be complete without something flashy. And quit worrying, it’s not my powers. This pretty lil thing is known as weather terrarium.”

Heungsoo looked up from lightening dark clouds into the dark eyes of Maya. The girl is wearing in black top and maroon knee length skirt and a dark blue silken scarf wrapped around her. She has jewelry, in all silver. She looked beautiful.

“I know why you are here.”

“Of course you do, Miss aura-reader.”

“Oh shut up, you are here because it finally happened. Your worst fear or was it hope came knocking down your door and you did one thing you have always done. You. Ran.”

“Did I mention how alluring you look when you are angry?”

“Shut up Heungsoo.”

“…You are right, or half-right in this case.”

“How long?”

“Couple of months. I saw him. He has…”

Maya just waits watching as Heungsoo gathered words that could convey his troubles. She could read him easily, she has known him for too long. Seen the hell he went through. Seen the hell he put himself through.

“Maya he has changed. He tried so hard to be nice to me. Anything to make it easier for him. He is scared of me, Maya. The Great Tsunami is afraid of me.”

“Why do you think that?”

“Every damn time he looks at me, he gives me that pained look. That stupid miserable look. Like its hurting his soul to look at me. He barely meets my eyes. He smiles though, he has friends. He is class president. Isn’t that funny?”

“Ha ha ha. Maybe he is hurting.”

“That is the deadest laughter I heard from you.”

 Maya smiles gesturing to continue as she pours jasmine tea with one hand.

“I don’t get him. He left me. He ran after destroying my dream. Now he is trying to show me how different he is? He is trying to be everywhere I go even when I tell him to leave me alone. He abandoned me already, no need for him to be here. And its so goddamn annoying that his friends try to threaten me to leave him alone.”

“Is that why you want to run away again?”

Heungsoo is quiet. His breath quietens that Maya thought she can hear the loud drum of his heartbeat. Well, she can. But this time she could do it without even trying.

“Oh…well well. Surprised Heungsoo?”

“No.”

“That was a quick denial.”

“Don’t interfere.”

“Don’t run.”

“A crippled can’t seem to run far anyway, I am still haunted.”

“Oh honey…does he know?”

“What?”

“Wait…do you even know or even realize?”

“Shut up Maya, you are being cryptic again.”

Maya huffs as she leans back sipping her hot tea watching the steam dance in shapes before she peeks at the boy sitting in front of her. He really looks so broken trying to guard himself and hide behind that false sense of bravado. She bets that whoever saw him, would see strong steel of nerves mixed with dangerous gleam of stoic. Would no one see what she sees?

“You can’t run away this time.”

“Life is not fair. I can’t run…but I can hide and avoid.”

“Oh yeah? You think you got everything fooled, don’t you?

“Maya-“shut up”

“Admit the truth, you are happy to see him. You are just at loss that the person you knew is not there anymore. Yet still, he got to you. He got under your highly dangerous electrifying barbed wire of defence.”

Heungsoo slams is fist on the table spilling some of the tea as he glares at Maya ready to snarl or maybe even stab Maya’s theory.

“Save it honey, I know you. I have known you for too long. That persistent kid is driving you insane and you are only fooling yourself by denying it further. Despite all your efforts, you know you can’t lie to yourself for this long. Especially not after he appeared in your ‘new fresh start cycle’ and deep down you don’t really want to leave.”

Heungsoo has fallen silent. He thinks of what has happened so far, why he felt all these emotions. From the time he saw Namsoon to the time his friends tried to outcast him to everything that has happened. He should hate this person's guts. 

“Why…why am I like this? He left me. That punk bastard…heh…he is hurting too isn’t he?”

“Most definitely, bet he is telling himself that he is okay every night too.”

“Yeah…what an idiot.”

“You love him, don’t you?”

Heungsoo looks up sharply staring wide eyed at Maya before his eyes lose focus as if lost in thought and staring in the distance. He…does love him. But he can’t forgive him. Not this easily, not for abandoning him. Namsoon had abandoned him and hurt him deeper than breaking his leg. He tried to give him up again, calling him his most important thing. Who the is Namsoon kidding?

Maya just smiles watching as realization dawn on Heungsoo’s face before he controls it back into his anger stoic mask.

“I thought so.”

Maya watches as Heungsoo flinch at the words. He hastily gets up and walks away towards store’s backdoor instead of going back to front, ah the closest exit. She smiles bemusedly  at his antics and waits until he reaches the door. She speaks the words loudly enough that she knows he heard her.

“Then tell him.”

He halts at the door momentarily before disappearing into the night, until time is right for him to find her again.