002

Only Me

Krystal begins her day like she always does: with nothing to do, beside picking up her smartphone and browsing through the web. It was early in the morning, and Krystal could hear the birds chattering outside even though her windows were closed. She walks toward her windows and push aside the curtains, exposing the bright morning. The sunlight penetrates through her dark room and she closes her eyes to enjoy the warmth.

What a beautiful day.

There was no school today because it was Saturday. It is also the same day of Sunggyu-Oppa’s concert. Although she likes Sunggyu’s presence, she knew that Sunggyu mainly interacts with her because of Jessica. Jessica was a model and had many friends who work as celebrities. Every once in a while, Jessica will introduce her friends to Krystal. Sunggyu was one of them, and Krystal had known him for around two years.

 Out of all Jessica’s friends, Sunggyu was the one who Krystal was most comfortable with. He was also currently Jessica’s boyfriend. They had dated for at least half a year now. Please don’t misunderstand, Krystal does not see him as anything other than an older brother. Still, she envies the affections Sunggyu shows to Jessica.

Krystal decides to open the windows, enabling the fresh air to enter her room. She shudders at the sudden coldness that hit against her skin. Using her hands, she tries to rub in some warmth into her skin.

Knock! Knock!

“Come in.”

A maid wearing a black dress and a white apron enters. She bows the moment she enters and said, “Miss, I have come to tell you that breakfast is ready.”

Krystal nods and turns away. Although she did not reply, the maid knew that Kyrstal had heard her. Every maids and guards around the mansion knew Krystal’s personality pretty well. She was not cheerful and friendly like her older sister. Instead, Kyrstal likes to remain silent and rarely talks to anyone. Most people working in the mansion had never seen her smile. She always keeps a cold and poker face, keeping a distance from everyone.

When the maid left the room, Krystal decided to change out of her clothes and took a shower. After changing into a new set of clothes and brushing her hair, she went down to eat breakfast. Her parents and Jessica were already present, enjoying their breakfast. Her father ignores her presence and her mother gave her a disapproving look. On the other hand, Jessica gave her a warm smile as Krystal settle down next to her.

She was served a soup along with bread, and a glass of milk. The room was silent with no sound besides the munching of food. Throughout the years, Krystal had learned to endure the torturing silence and the tasteless food that she swallows down her sore throat.

“Ah! Krystal, you should remember to arrive at 7:00PM to Sunggyu-Oppa’s concert. You can also invite some of your friends over.” Jessica said, breaking the silence.

Krystal nods and continues to eat her food. Her father looks up from the table and asked, “Jessica, when are you going to invite Sunggyu over again? I quite enjoy his company last time.”

Jessica smiles and answered, “Father, I will invite him to come again if you want to see him.”

Her father nodded his head and turn to glance at Krystal. Krystal did not even bother to notice his father’s stare and continue to munch on her food. Seeing how she ignores him, her mother spoke up, “Krystal, how can you ignore your father.”

Krystal finally looks up to meet her mother’s eyes, then turn to glance at her father.

“How did I ignore him? Did he say something to me?” She pointed out.

Although what she said was true, it still cause her mother to explode.

“Child! How can you speak like this! Do not talk back to your parents! How many times do I have to tell you?” She shouted.

When did I talk back? All I did was state the truth.

Her mother opens , and Krystal knew that her mother was going to lecture her again. The lecture was bound to go on until everyone finishes their breakfast, so Krystal had no choice to mute out the thunderous voice. When her mother saw how Krystal continues to ignore her, her face flushed red. There was no way to describe how angry she felt at the moment. Seeing her mother angry, Jessica panics and soothe her, “Mother, calm down. “

“How can I calm down when this child is misbehaving? Who taught you to grow up this way!” She shouted.

“Calm down.”

Her father chose this moment to speak up, and this immediately made her mother close . Her mother gave a confuse look to her husband and stuttered, “B-But honey-”

Even Krystal was surprise at her father.

Why did he tell her to shut up?

She gave her father a suspicious look before deciding that she was full. If she stays any longer, the house might explode. Like always, Krystal did not speak and got off her seat. She was finished eating but did not announce that she was finish, like how she was supposed to.

Seeing that Krystal had stood up and left, Jessica announced, “I’m done eating too.”

She immediately chase after her younger sister who had left the room.

“Krystal, wait!”

Krystal stops in her tracks and allow her sister to catch up. When Jessica had caught up, she grab onto Krystal’s hands and explained, “Please don’t be mad at mother. It seems that she was just not feeling well today so she decided to pick on you.”

Krystal wanted to roll her eyes at her sister’s words. It’s so obvious that their mother was just behaving like normal. However, since it was Jessica talking to her, Krystal did not have the heart to roll her eyes.

“Here, these are the rest of the tickets. You can hand them to some of your friends.”

Jessica took out some tickets from her pocket and handed them to Krystal. After Krystal had accepted them, Jessica finally decides to leave.

------------------------------  At the concert  -----------------------------------

Krystal and her “friends” had cut through the line and enter straight away into the concert. Jessica had given Krystal the VIP tickets so they did not need to wait in line. As she enters, she could hear the squealing voices of her “friends” behind her. These girls who she brought with her weren’t really her friends. They were actually some classmates that she had gotten to known when she entered high school. She had known them ever since freshman year, but had never grown close to them. Although she sometimes hung out with them, she never actually feels invited.

Krystal led them to the front where the stage was located. They had to wait a few hours until the concert finally begins.

“Omo! Sunggyu-Oppa!”

“Saranghae!”

“You’re so handsome!”

There were some many girls screaming around them. They all look like a crazy pack of wolves. The people were crowded and Krystal felt quite uncomfortable. She never did like crowded place. If she was given a choice, she would have rather not come. However, Jessica had invited her this time, and she did not have the heart to refuse her sister. Although Krystal did not like crowded place, she had to admit that Sunggyu had a beautiful voice. Although she was not mesmerized like the hormone girls around her, she did enjoy listening to his soothing voice.

The moment Jessica appears, the males who were overshadowed by the females, immediately hollowed out. They shout and cheer in excitement.

“Jessica! Jessica! Jessica!” They chanted.

Soon, the whole place was chanting her name. Jessica smiles, “Hello everyone, it’s nice to meet you. I’m glad that everyone is happy to see me.”

Krystal suddenly could not hear her sister’s voice. All she notice was how sparkling and shining her sister look compare to her. Her sister was standing on stage in the spotlight, being cheer on by everyone. Her mood suddenly went downhill and she didn’t want to stay in the concert hall anymore. While everyone was busy focusing on Jessica, Krystal walks away and exits the concert. She walks toward the lobby and waited until the concert was over.

“That was awesome!”

“Jessica’s appearance hella shocked me!”

“She’s so pretty!”

“Do you think the rumor that she’s dating Sunggyu-Oppa is true?”

People were exiting the concert and were chattering in excitement. Krystal silently watches and listens to everyone’s conversation. She could not understand why they were all so happy.

Ding!

A sound snaps her out of her thoughts. She took out her smartphone and checks the text that she received.

From Jessica:

Come meet me in the backstage!

“Krystal!”

Krystal looks up to see who was calling her. It was the group of girls who she invited to the concert.

“Thank you so much for inviting us!” One of them said.

“We’re so lucky to have a friend like you.” Another said.

One of them looks at her smartphone and exclaimed, “Ah! We gotta go! See you in a bit!”

Then they all disappear and followed the crowd of fans. Ignoring them, Krystal made her way to the backstage. She suddenly had a need to go to the restroom and decided to make a turn.

I will go to the restroom first before going to see Jessica.

Just as she reach the restroom and open the door, she heard some familiar voices.

“Oh god, I’m so tire of that girl.”

It was the voice of one of the girls who Krystal invited. Krystal did not want to look like she was eavesdropping so she was decided to walk toward them. She was not able to though. The restroom had a small wall that separates her from the girls.  She stops walking when she heard their next statement.

“I’m so glad we trick her into thinking that we are her friends.” One of them laughed.

“Yeah, who would like that scary-looking girl? I can’t believe she’s related to Jessica.” One snickered.

“Why would we even be her friends if she’s not rich? Her attitude is so annoying. I can’t even fake a smile when I’m with her.” Another added.

Hearing their words, Krystal suddenly felt a pain in her chest. She had long suspected they were using her. Still, it still hurts so much more when you hear it in person. Part of her was feeling hurt but another part of her was feeling anger. She felt that she was going to do something if she stays here any longer. She did not know what she wanted to do, but she knew that it wasn’t going to be anything good.

Slowly, she left the restroom and made her way to the backstage. Unbeknownst to her, her expression was screaming, “I’m hurt.” Her eyes were turning a shade red but no tears were shed. Her mood had worsened even more.

The guards let her through easily because they recognized who she was. She didn’t even need to show an identification card. Still feeling emotional, she gritted her teeth.

I hope karma comes back and bite you guys in the .

There were no words to describe how upset she felt.  She turns a corner and continue heading toward her sister’s room that was backstage. Her sister had texted her the room number. Although Krystal was feeling sour, if she did not appear, she knew that Jessica might worry about her. So she decided to go meet Jessica even though she was currently not feeling well.

Her sister room was isolated and farther away so that fans cannot sneak in. Sunggyu’s room was in the opposite direction and was also isolated. In this way, the fans and reporters would find it harder to locate their rooms.

Just as Krystal turn another corner and reach her sister’s room, she saw someone suspicious. It was a tall man, wearing an oversize coat and a pair a jean. His back was facing Krystal and he was currently peeking through the window on her sister’s room door. It was definitely shady!

Is he a sasaeng fan?

Her mind suddenly panics for her sister’s safety. Without warning, she jumps toward the man and clasped her arms around his neck, intending to choke him to death.

“WHAT are you-*COUGH* *COUGH* “

The man was unable to speak and use his strength to pull away her arms. He was definitely stronger than her. Her arms around his neck loosen and he was able to push her away. When he turns to face Krystal, he was face with a punch to the face, sending him falling to the ground.

“Ow!” He groaned.

“What are you doing here!” She yelled.

The man held onto his injured cheek and look up to see who had dare to punch him. When their eyes met, both of them gasped, “You!”

Isn’t he that glasses guy from yesterday?

“Who are you? What are you doing here?” She questioned.

Is this weirdo my sister sasaeng fan?

This male was definitely an oddball, and she feels that he was too dangerous to be around her sister.

“What about you? Why are you here?” He responded.

“I have a good reason to be here. If you do not answer me, I will call on the guards to capture you.” She threatened.

Her mood was already bad, and the man in front of her was making it worst.

“Wait! Hold on a minute!” He cried, stumbling as he stands up.

The man in front of her was wearing a bright green collar shirt. His brown jean was pulled up to his waist, almost to his stomach. Krystal rolled her eyes at his bad sense of fashion.

“I-I am nobody suspicious!” He exclaimed.

His words only make him seem more suspicious. She notices his nervous expression as he continue to look right and left. Without warning, he pushes her aside and knocks her up against the wall.

“Hey!”

He ran past her only to trip over his own untie shoelace.

“Ah!” He cried, slamming onto the hard surface.

Krystal did not know whether to laugh or cry. It was quite funny, but she did have the mood to laugh at the moment. She was also feeling hurt from being smash against the wall by his push.

That’s what you get for running away.

The man turns to look up helplessly. It even look like he was about to cry! He sat up and fixes his glasses, which now had a few small cracks. His palm had a big scratch due to his fall, so he was rubbing it with his other hand to ease the pain. All of a sudden, his expression changes.

“Oh no! My camera!”

He checks his camera and his expression only worsen. He suddenly glare at Krystal, as if saying, “This is your entire fault.”

Krystal gave a wry smile as she feels this déjà vu.

He pouted, “Look at you, meeting you again is such bad luck. You broke my camera again.”

She rolled her eyes as he blames her. This was the same thing he did yesterday. He did not even consider himself at fault!

“So, all I need to do is pay you?” She asked.

She wanted to get everything over with and went straight to the answer. His eyes narrow when he heard her words.

“I thought I told you yesterday-“

 “Yes, you told me that you do not need money. But how is this going to be solve without money. What do you want me to do?” She interrupted.

He thought for a moment and immediately said, “I want your help until I can buy a new camera.”

She thought that this guy needs help mentally, not psychically. Who would help a random stranger like him until he reaches his goal? If he needs help like carrying a box, she will be able to. But if he asks her to accompany him for a month or so, she was not going to help at all.  He was a weirdo and she was also a young maiden.

He needs to go see the doctor. She thought.

She had nothing to ask him besides saying, “Are you crazy?”

He gasped, showing an offended expression.

“I’m not crazy!”