The first spared prey

Shadow Heart - The Black Hawk

The hunts started again. People of Montreal had always been unaware of me, no country would have wanted to let the world know that they were unable to catch a serial killer who ate his preys – his victims. It didn’t take long before the name ‘Black Hawk’ was everywhere.

 

Every day was the same. I would wake up after my hunting night, read the newspaper, get prepared and head into town. I would discover the place. Get familiar with it. Go to the gym to work out. After doing so, I would check out the hunting letter and get prepared to go hunt. If I felt under the weather, I’d sleep a bit before getting into my hunting outfit and heading out. Everything was always the same. Until something happened.

 

The hunt was confidential. I had to go and kill a 21 years old woman named Ama. The idiot was researching the identity of the Brotherhood bosses. She was aware of the shadow spirits, she knew too much to let her live, but she didn’t know enough to protect herself.

 

An easy prey.

 

I went to the small park through which the prey always walked by, according to the letter. It was dark out; the prey wasn’t one of those that bothered being scared going home late. Too bad for her. I waited in a tree, hidden in the leaves. Ready to attack.

 

She arrived soon. She was the same as on the picture they had given me. Asian, small, long black hair. She looked average at best. A human. A prey. Nothing more. I hesitated when I saw the camera by her side, but I figured I wouldn’t give her time to use it. There wasn’t any flash on it and I doubted she’d be able to take a good shot of me before I’d land on her anyway. So I jumped.

 

I didn’t bother pulling my weapons out. Landing right on top of her, I squeezed her neck, noticing that her first reflex had been to move her camera to avoid it hitting the ground. She was obviously suffering from my landing on her, but I didn’t care. She didn’t seem to care either because she spoke, her voice calm and quiet.

 

“Good evening, Black Hawk.”

 

Good evening. I tensed up, quiet. The voice was obviously not the same, but the words were. Good evening. It reminded me of Youngjae. I emitted a growl, staring at her, right into her eyes. I would kill her. I lowered my head, moved my hand away from . My fangs sank into her warm skin. She seemed to be accepting death.

 

Her hand was warm as she touched my cheek, slipping under my hood. I jerked back, growling at her. She chuckled a little.

 

“Don’t like that? Figured I might as well make death happier.”

 

I didn’t have time to reply anything. She started humming and I froze. I recognized the song. Youngjae… it was Youngjae’s song.

 

“Why…” I heard myself ask, paralyzed.

“You knew Youngjae, didn’t you?”

“…”

“He betrayed you.”

 

I lowered my head, observing the bloody trails on my prey’s neck. Not deep enough to endanger her.

 

“You loved him and he betrayed you.”

 

Her voice was soft and sweet, but the words made me react. I looked up, and my gaze met hers. She touched my cheek again, moved until I wasn’t on top of her anymore. She smiled at me.

 

“I gotta go. I’ll see you around.”

 

What? I got up, but she was up and walking away already. I could’ve run after her, I almost did. But she e last time, looking at me.

 

“Don’t resent him too much.”

 

And she left as I stayed there, unable to move, unable to think.