Part II

Love Yourself

Seulgi stared ahead of her, her mind was in peace when she watched the waves coming on one after the other. She still had two hours to go. The beach was quiet since it was a weekday and it was in the afternoon. Seulgi adjusted her snapback and put on her shade, climbing down the ladder as she decided to just take a walk along the beach. 

Her feet soaked in the warm seawater, the little cut at her ankle stung a little. A little like the ache in her heart when she thought of Irene from time to time. It had been a year. Seulgi would still skip articles about Irene and switch channel when Irene was going to have a kiss scene with the male actor. 

DING

Seulgi fished out her phone from her pants and turned off the calendar. It was an alert telling her that Irene would be on tv tonight at 8pm on a variety show. Strong Heart. Seulgi slipped the phone back into her pocket and her ears perked when someone screamed for help. 

She looked up to locate the source of voice before diving into the sea. 

###

Seulgi was holding on to a bowl of salad without dressing as she sat on the sofa, munching on the crunchy lettuce as she search for the remote control. She smiled when she saw the hosts introducing the show at the beginning. Just in time, she thought. 

Her heart still skipped a beat when she saw Irene on the screen, waving to the viewers as she introduced herself confidently with a wink at the end. Seulgi smiled when the camera filmed the male idols around her as they cheered because of Irene. 

A Wonderful Five Years With You. 

The board beside Irene read. Seulgi's breathing hitched when the host questioned it. What was Irene doing? Seulgi put the bowl on the table in front of her as she watched the string of questions that was fired at Irene by the hosts. 

"Irene-ssi, as far as we know, Kim Taehyung was your boyfriend right? Who is the 'you' you are referring to? It doesn't match if you're talking about Taehyung." The host pressed. 

Irene smiled when the camera filmed her. "What I am about to say will cost me my career." The editor decided to add some dramatic effect that made Seulgi groan in impatience when they purposely did not disclose what Irene said. 

"Oh? Is it okay for you to say then? Your manager? Your manager doesn't allow it." The host said, looking at the camera crew where the manager was at. Irene was still smiling. 

"Manager oppa, please just let me say this." Irene said. Seulgi bit on her fingernail. They repeated the short moment where Irene fought back her tears and Irene fanned her eyes to dry the tears. "When I was preparing what I want to talk about today, I already know the consequences that I will face." Irene said. 

Seulgi swore her heart stopped beating long ago. 

"I guess we will let you continue. We cannot stop the filming." The host said empathetically. 

"Thank you." Irene smiled. "The truth is, I never dated Kim Taehyung-ssi. It is all a set up." Irene said and there was a slight commotion because the manager tried to intervene but he was stopped. "I am about to say something that will shock most of you, but not all." Irene chuckled sadly. 

The atmosphere was tense in the studio and the hosts and everyone were listening attentively. The manager gave up on intervening and just let Irene say what she wanted to say. 

"There are articles online that say that I am not straight because of how I look at my group members." Irene said slowly. The host nodded, seemed to be aware of this speculation. 

"So is it true that you're dating Wendy-ssi then?" The host asked. 

Irene smiled and the camera zoomed in to film her expression. Seulgi put her feet up on the sofa and squinted at what Irene was about to say. 

"No." Irene shook her head. "But it is true that I am not straight." Irene elaborated. 

Everyone gasped and Seulgi gasped as well, not because she was surprised that her ex-girlfriend was actually as gay as she was. "What are you doing..." Seulgi mumbled to herself. 

"So you like girls, Irene-ssi?" The host asked, looking very surprised. "I am not against it, but because you're really pretty." 

"Does being pretty have anything to do with uality?" Irene joked a little. 

"Wait. So... the person who gave you a wonderful five years..." The host prompted.

Irene nodded. "It's a girl." Seulgi stopped breathing again when Irene looked into the camera. It was as if she was staring at Seulgi. "But I am not going to say her name here. She needs her privacy." 

"But can you share more with us?" The host asked. 

"We broke up a year ago." Irene smiled sadly. "Because I was too selfish. I did not show her enough love. As you know, I was paired with Taehyung-ssi and some other guys. But it was the company's idea to announce that Taehyung-ssi and I were in a relationship. And of course, to save my career, I went ahead with it. I just did whatever that the company asked me to. Until she decided to leave me because I did not love myself enough to love her." 

"Wow... Irene-ssi... you're really brave." The host commented and the other celebrities nodded along. "But..." 

"She broke up with me." Irene nodded. "In the year without her, I fell into depression. As you all know, I have lost weight again." Irene laughed softly. "But it is not because the company asked me to go on a diet. It is because I miss her more and more each day. Until today. I decided that it is a great opportunity to let her know what I am feeling and what I am going to do." 

The hosts looked at each other before they nodded at Irene to go on. 

"You." Irene said looking into the camera again. "I know what I have done wrong now. I thought I was happy with these fame but how could I be happy without you?" Irene choked on her own tears. "Come back to me, bear?" 

"Irene-ssi, your story is really touching." The host said, touching his chest where the heart was at. "I can only wish you all the best." The host smiled. 

"Thank you. When I decided to say all these, I already know what's the best for me." Irene smiled. "After watching this, after this is aired, please look up on the articles about me. And you'll know what I will do to have you back in my arms." 

The scene ended with Irene smiling sadly at the camera and Seulgi stared at the screen blankly as the hosts interacted with other celebrities. Then she got back from her trance. She ran to her room to take her phone and search Irene Bae

News about her ending the contract with the company were all over the web. News about Irene, the sweetest girl in Korea with number one natural beauty, was in love with a girl. Seulgi clicked onto the link which directed her to a page about Irene had announced that she would be leaving her group and terminating her contract with the company 5 days ago.

"Why are you so silly..." Seulgi whispered to herself and she did not realise that she was crying until a tear fell onto her phone screen. Which accidentally directed her to a page on Irene's severe weight loss. There were photos of before and after and Seulgi was shocked at how skinny Irene was looking now when she wore shorts and sleeveless shirt. Seulgi's heart ached at the sight and she felt more tears trickling down her cheeks. "Unnie..." 

###

The next day, Seulgi went to work with swollen eyes and she put on her shade to cover up. She lowered her snapback as she climbed up the ladder to her post, greeting her colleague as they exchanged shift. 

She could not contact Irene because Irene had changed her phone number. It must be because Irene did not want reporters or anyone to find her to ask about it. But how could she not let Seulgi find her if she wanted Seulgi back? Seulgi did not understand. She sighed and stared into the space. 

"Hey." 

Seulgi frowned and looked around until she saw a girl standing below her, wearing snapback and mask with a pair of shades. Seulgi climbed down the ladder and jumped in front of the girl. "Yes?" 

"Have you watched Strong Heart?" The girl asked.

Seulgi furrowed her eyebrows as she thought the voice was very familiar. She looked at the girl slowly as she figured out. "Un-Unnie?" 

The girl chuckled softly as she took off her mask. "So have you watched it?" Irene asked nervously, taking off her shade as well. 

Seulgi stared at Irene for awhile before pulling her into a tight hug, nodding on Irene's shoulder as she nuzzled closer to Irene's neck. Irene smiled and s her arms around the girl's waist, pulling her closer as they missed each other's warmth. "I miss you." Seulgi whispered and closed her eyes to enjoy this moment. 

"I miss you too." Irene sighed. "I am so sorry." 

Seulgi only nodded. 

"Can we... can we start all over again?" Irene asked timidly, afraid that her heart might not be able to handle the answer that Seulgi would give.

"What about your career?" Seulgi asked. 

"You're more important. I don't want to live another day without you again." Irene replied, clutching onto Seulgi's singlet on her back. 

"Then I won't want to live another day without you too." Seulgi whispered. Irene smiled before she broke into tears, sobbing hard into Seulgi's chest as the girl peppered her with kisses on her temple. "Shhhh unnie. Don't cry." 

Irene did not stop crying until good ten minutes later. "Are w-we good?" She sobbed. 

"We are better." Seulgi assured and rubbed her girlfriend's back. "You've lost so much weight." Seulgi sighed as she could feel the bone underneath Irene's shirt. 

"I couldn't sleep properly and eat properly. I dream of you every night, telling me that you're leaving me." Irene explained. "But I know it's my fault. I know now. Don't leave me ever again." 

"I am sorry, too." Seulgi said softly. "I love you." 

"I love you more." Irene said, pushing herself away from Seulgi gently before cupping Seulgi's cheeks. "I love you so much." She whispered and pulled Seulgi into a kiss on the lips. Their kiss was desperate at the start but it soon turned into a slow and longing kiss that told them that they had missed each other too much. 

They broke away when they heard giggles around them. Seulgi frowned when she saw people taking photos of them, she wanted to go up to them and ask them to delete the photos but Irene stopped her. "It doesn't matter now. I am just an ordinary person who is a lifeguard's girlfriend. I don't care what they say about me." 

Seulgi looked at her girlfriend who had mature in the way she thought. She smiled and cupped Irene's left cheek with her right hand. "It doesn't matter now." She repeated and leaned down to kiss Irene on the lips again. 

###

Seulgi laughed when she saw the articles on her phone as she waited for Irene to prepare their breakfast before her work the next day. "You should see this." Seulgi chuckled and showed Irene the heading of the articles when Irene came and placed the plate on the table. 

Irene Bae's girlfriend? (Attached photo of two girls kissing)

Irene Bae's new found love (photo)

Irene Bae's girlfriend is tugging heartstrings of teenage girls (photo of Seulgi in snapback and shade)

Irene frowned at the last one. "Since when did you pose for them?" 

"I didn't?" Seulgi blinked. 

"You look like you pose on purpose for them to take your photo." Irene said, taking Seulgi's phone from her and examining the photo closely. "It is a good one. I'm gonna use it as my wallpaper." She leaned down and pecked on Seulgi's cheek. "You look so hot." 

"Yeah?" Seulgi rubbed her nape in embarrassment. 

"Look at the comments. They're ditching their oppa for you. You better not flirt with girls at the beach." Irene warned and pinched Seulgi's nose. 

"I only have my eyes on you." Seulgi chuckled. 

"You better be." Irene squinted and then chuckled. 

"Oh look." Seulgi said as she scrolled down further. "It says that this company wants to sign you on." 

"But I don't want to." Irene said quickly. 

"Are you sure?" Seulgi asked carefully. She did not want Irene to stop chasing her own dream because of her. 

Irene nodded. "I am going to stay at home to be your wife." 

"Mrs Kang?" Seulgi teased. 

"You are Mrs Bae." Irene corrected and Seulgi shrugged. 

"Either one is just as good." Seulgi smiled. 

 

XXX

END