One Last Time

Once Upon a Time

Once we were happy.

Once, there was a fairy tale.

A tale of a simple girl who have loved her prince charming from a far. For him, she crossed the ocean, travelled through the clouds, and walked to the moon just so she could be with him. It happened. They met, and he fell for her, too. They were a happy couple, but the fairy tale had to end just when it’s about to get better for the girl.

The prince charming… fell out of love.

We stopped walking as we reached the front of my apartment. It was past 10 in the evening. I saw him glanced up at the house and then to me. “We’re here.” He smiled.

“You didn’t have to take me home.”

“I need to.”

He needed to. I used to hear “I want to” whenever I tell him the same words. The things he used to do because he wanted to, turned out to be the things he does because he needed to. I became a responsibility.

I smiled at him, reminding myself of what I should do before this day ends. Tonight will be a different night, and then the future days would never be the same again.

“Oppa, that’s enough.” I managed to speak that with such a cool voice. I held it in. The concept of being a cool woman was working. “You’re not being honest with me, I know.”

He didn’t say a word but look at the ground instead. This was why I knew I had to be the one to do it. He would never have the courage to break my heart. I knew. I knew he didn’t mean to do it. But there are things our heart feels that our mind couldn’t control, and him being such a nice guy, I knew he would never tell me the truth, that my magic on him… had already died.

“I’m sorry.”

I smiled bitterly, biting my lower lip. One of the words any girl would hate hearing from their guy are those: I am sorry. We reached that point. Words had been said. Feelings had been admitted. Emotions had been set on the edge. “You could have said earlier. You could have saved us both the time and effort.”

“I’m sorry.”

“I know.” I answered. “I know you’re sorry that’s why you couldn’t say it.”

“I don’t want to waste whatever we had…”

“You mean the six years I had loving you on my own, and then the one year when you loved me back?”

“You have sacrificed a lot for me, been through everything just for us to be happy…”

“But we’re not happy anymore. I don’t want to be jailed in your non-existent love. 7 years was enough, oppa. You’re not saving whatever we had, you’re wasting the chance for us to find happiness from others, happiness that we cannot give each other anymore.”

It was time for me to go back to the place where I used to be. I was given one year to be with him as a reward of loving him for six damned years. Yes, he was the only one ever since. I have never loved anyone else. I tried, but I failed.

“Do you think it will be better for us to stop seeing each other?” I asked bravely.

Please say no… But he nodded. A slow head movement that stabbed my heart completely.

“You’re right. I should not jail you just because I feel sorry for giving up first.”

“Have you met someone else?”

“No. I still have no one but you.”

I smiled – a bitter smile once again. It was only me, but it should not be me anymore. “That makes me a feel a bit better. Thank you.”

“This is all my fault.”

“I used to think that loving you from a far was enough for me, although I had one problem. I wanted you to feel the love I have and to make you happy with it. I thought it would be such a waste if you would never have any idea of how much I love you. Maybe that’s why I was brought here, so I can make you feel that.” I paused, breathing deeply so tears won’t fall down. I was succeeding on doing a breakup scene without tears. I was still looking cool. “Have you felt me enough? My love?” He nodded. “That’s all I needed to know. You loved me, too, genuinely, for a year, right?” He nodded again. “That was a bonus. I never hoped for my love to be returned, at that very least.”

I stepped closer, reached for his cheek and caressed it dearly. He was tearing up. I knew it was because he’s guilty. “I have basically done what I wanted to do. Thank you for treating me well all this time.”

He pulled me for a hug. A tight hug which confirmed it was indeed a goodbye. “Thank you. Thank you for loving me all this time.”

“I’ll go back to the Philippines. I’ll meet a good man that will love me better than you did.” I said trying to make him laugh. He released me and looked into my eyes.

“When are you leaving?”

“Tomorrow.”

“That’s fast.”

“I don’t want you to end up pulling me back because of guilt.” I chuckled while wiping his tears away. “Okay, it’s time for you to leave now. It’s getting late. You still need to drive home.” I patted him two times on his back.

“I’ll go until I see you enter your house.” He said. “I would never want you to see me leave you so I could only do this much. Go.” He said with sincerity. I nodded and slowly turned my back against him.

As I started walking towards the house, I shed the remaining coolness I was holding. My tears fell and from then on, I knew it would be the last time I’ll see him.


A/N: Wrote this around 1 am lol. The weather is so cold and I just listened to sad love song that this story just came out. But honestly, this could start a good story, lol but I'm not yet done with crescents so i can't entertain this plot. lol. what do you think about this shot, tho? I'd love to hear!