Final

Sing Your Song

Sing Your Song

 

 

Taemin and Minho are both in Theatre major.

 

Taemin is in his first year, while Minho is in his third.

 

Taemin takes the major role in the next yearly show, while Minho doesn't.

 

Taemin doesn't know who Minho is, while Minho hates him with burning passion.

 

 

*

 

 

To start in the very beginning, Minho yearned for that role more than anything. Not just to show off his skills rather to get into a good theatre as an actor after he finished university. The yearly show is always the most awaited one in the whole year. In this year, it'll be a musical, the Beauty and the Beast. He practiced really hard to the audition and he knows he did well. His immaculate acting, dancing and singing had left the director and the producer in awe. He watched all the contestants and none of them was better than him.

 

Until Lee Taemin decided to try himself out.

 

According to him, he hadn't really practiced for the audition, he just curious how it goes. Minho watched him performing and it had to be told, he wasn't very impressed. The boy acted good but not well, he messed up some parts of the dance and forgot the lyrics so he had to look for it in his phone.

 

Yet, after the end of his so-called auditioning, Minho found himself smiling. The boy was utterly adorable and so nonchalant, he found his way into the other's heart right away.

 

But Taemin's got kicked out very quick after the result had been revealed.

 

 

*

 

 

 

Minho doesn't even understand how could the director choose this pretty boy as the Beast. The boy is hardly anything but beautiful. Even compared to the Beauty, he comes out as the winner. Yes, he has something special in himself, he has to admit but Minho just can't imagine him to be a good Beast.

 

To being as close to the director if he change his mind and would put Minho into the role he deserves, the man takes up a job in the backstage. Honestly, even he doesn't know what his task is since usually, he just gets to run and make coffee. He may be called assistant but most of the workers prefer to call him coffee boy and he doesn't like it a bit.

 

What he hates the most, that Taemin is trying to be kind to him.

 

"Hey Coffee Boy, come here!" Director Kim calls out to him as he catches the sight of him, while he's deep into a conversation with the star of the show. Minho thinks about ignoring the request and blame it on that his name isn't Coffee Boy but Choi Minho but he wouldn't like to get fired before he could single-handedly save the musical from the blond boy. Minho drags himself closer to the duo.

 

"I'm here, sir."

 

"Bring me an espresso."

 

"Yes, sir."

 

Minho is about to turn away when much to his horror Director Kim turns to Taemin. What he likes to avoid is the pressure of holding himself back whenever he's facing with the boy. Minho is a good actor but he can't act in real life, that's a fact. He just can't pretend like he just adores the blond kid as everyone else in this hell hole called university. He doesn't even know that's possible to everyone to like the boy because people tend to hate on others. But for one hater, there he is. Be special.

 

"Would you like something, Taemin?" The boy perks up at hearing his name and his eyes are jumping between the director and Minho, confusion written all over his face. Director Kim repeats his question, lets out a small laugh and adds, "You are so adorable."

 

Is everyone smitten with this boy?

 

Minho wants to puke.

 

Taemin's face lights up at the thought of coffee and turns his head to Minho.

 

"I would like to have a latte with soy milk, uhm-" The blond boy's eyes darts to the elder's name tag and reads it off with a smile so bright like the sun itself. Cool, he hates on a boy who doesn't even know his name. "Minho."

 

Minho tries hard not to feel the irregular beating of his heart at that sunshine smile.

 

 

*

 

 

"An espresso and a latte with soy milk." Minho repeats in his head not to mess up, his mood immediately drops as he sees the queue in the café. He sighs at the sight like he has enough problem without having to face small irritations like this. He takes out his phone from his pocket to make time fly. He's so into the game, he hasn't even noticed the lean figure standing beside him, smiling apologetically at the people behind him.

 

"Hey!"

 

Minho almost drops his phone when he hears that velvety voice he listened over and over singing- badly, of course. He doesn't want to believe his eyes to see Taemin here. The boy awkwardly shifts from one leg to another, his hands stuffed deep in his pockets.

 

"What are you doing here?" Minho finds himself asking this question. "Skipping the queuing? That's not very nice of you."

 

"No, no." The blond is taken aback at the questions and he takes out his adorable baby hands to shake them to show, he's doing nothing wrong. "I'm here to help."

 

Minho blinks and stares at Taemin like he told something stupid.

 

"It's only two orders. I have two hands. I'll manage it." Minho waits for the boy to take his leave but he stays in his place and laughs like the elder just told a joke. Minho arches an eyebrow as he takes a step forward. "Anyway, a star like you shouldn't do this."

 

"Ah, I'm not a star. It's just a school event, no need to overreact." Poor, clueless Taemin doesn't even sense sarcasm. "And, how should I day, I feel a little bit guilty because if I hadn't tried myself out, you would have been in my place."

 

"No Sherlock." Minho mutters under his breath but Taemin seems like he hasn't noticed. He's busy searching through his pockets, face forming the sight of strong concentration and then, he fishes out his wallet.

 

"So I would like to pay for your coffee this time. Take it as an apology." He nods and winks and all Minho want is to toss this kid away from him because why this brat thinks he can be bought with a cup of coffee. The man doesn't know what he had done in his previous life but it must be something really bad to deserve this.

 

"You are so generous." Minho snorts and rolls his eyes but almost immediately he's blinded with the same smile from before. The little ball of sunshine lets out his rays to blind Minho. The boy pats the other's shoulders.

 

"That's what are friends for."

 

Clueless, simply clueless.

 

 

*

 

 

Minho tries his best to avoid Taemin but he swears it's impossible. He's everywhere. Literally everywhere. Whenever the man sees a blond head in the crowd, he turns around and rather takes a longer way than to meet him but he has no luck. Taemin is already beside him. He's been nagging Minho to entertain him when it's not his turn to practice and all the man is want to say no but Director Kim told him that whatever Taemin says, he has to do it.

 

The boy still comes and goes with Minho to the café but he doesn't pay anymore, he lives on Minho.

 

"An espresso." Minho orders while searching for his wallet, ignoring the worst puppy eyes Taemin gives him.

 

"And a latte!"

 

"Are you paying for both?" The waitress asks from the elder, who doesn't even miss a beat.

 

"No, I'm not."

 

"Sharing is caring, Minho. We are friends!" Taemin tugs the other's sleeves and juts out his lips. He should know better that he won't buy Minho with this pity act. The man sighs and rolls his eyes. There are people out in this world who finds this guy charming. Truly unbelievable.

 

"No, we aren't." Minho breaths out softly. He has to hold himself back with all of his self-control he owns not to make a scene. "I hate you."

 

There's a few second when Taemin just blinks at him while Minho is waiting if he's about to break down but to his biggest surprise, the boy just pats him and laughs. ing laughs.

 

(Minho has to admit his laughter sounds like bells ringing and makes a prince-like atmosphere around him, it's hard to tear his gaze away.)

 

"Honey, everyone loves me." He explains with wide eyes while he pulls up his eyebrows in a sassy way. "You're just denial."

 

Minho would like to snap him in two but he can't since the boy is maybe right.

 

"He's paying."

 

Maybe not.

 

 

*

 

 

Minho watches the little star of the show try to reach the high note for the grand finale but his voice always cracks before he could make it. He watches him being utterly bad at acting whenever there's a romantic scene- and please, the whole musical is romantic. The only thing he actually does well is dancing. Other than that, the boy is a disaster. Taemin lets out an annoyed sigh and stomps with his feet- poor thing must think he's alone. But no, Minho had to stay behind to mop up the practice room- because it's his task, says the producer, they won't hire a cleaner for this- and as he was about to go in, he heard singing from it. It turned out to be Taemin.

 

Minho tries to walk away but he can't. He can't let this lame boy ruin his stolen show- at least he says this, of course the attractiveness of the boy has nothing to do with it. So he walks in. Actually, he's quite surprised to find the boy here since usually he sleeps while everyone else is practicing. It was a plus to hate the boy- laziness. Minho told himself he would practice his of if he had got the role but it seems like the boy does too.

 

"That's not the way you do it." Minho sees the boy tremble in his surprise but he turns around and his whole face lightens up. "You just hurt your vocal cords if you continue doing this."

 

"Oh, my dear friend, you shows up every time I need you!" He runs to the elder and embrace him tightly. The man sighs, gosh this boy is so dramatic. "Minho, I'm extremely nervous. Truth to be told, I didn't want this. I went to the audition because of a bet, I hadn't thought in my wildest dream that they would pick me. I'm not up to this."

 

"If it helps, I wouldn't have picked you." Minho pats the other's small of back, awkwardly because the boy just doesn't let him away. He's clinging into him like a koala.

 

"Help me, Minho! I beg you!"

 

Minho looks down at Taemin and he thinks he's done the worst decision ever because the boy tears up and sends him pleading gaze. His lips are trembling and Minho thinks about stopping them with his own pair- he throws away this idea right away.

 

"My good heart will put me in a grave." Minho sighs and flicks the blond boy's forehead. "Ok. Tomorrow, at the same time."

 

 

*

 

Taemin doesn't show up.

 

Minho will strangle this little bastard.

 

And he thought he's cute.

 

(And beautiful and smart and funny- but he wouldn't admit it.)

 

 

*

 

 

"I'm sorry!" Taemin bows fully, his blond hair flying everywhere as he does it. The panic in his face shows the thing is true. "I fell asleep yesterday after I'd got home. I'm so sorry!"

 

Minho pretends like he doesn't hear anything.

 

"Please forgive me!"

 

Still nothing.

 

"Please continue with your help. Please, please!" The boy begs his head still down. "I'm sorry!"

 

"Tch-" Minho clicks his tongue. He walks closer to the bowing boy and pets his blond locks. "It's okay."

 

(He might be a little too smitten with this kid.)

 

 

*

 

 

For Minho's biggest surprise, Taemin is doing well in their private lesson. He sings as he should, his high notes don't crack and just makes Minho sway with the songs. His dancing was good before but it's almost perfect now. His body looks fluid, yet his movements are sharp. And his acting, it's so good Minho forgets he's not in an actual play.

 

"Are you sure you need me?" Minho scratches the back of his head and he hates to admit but the boy perfectly acts as the Beast. Taemin takes a sip from the bottle and Minho stares at it. He's never been so jealous of a bottle like now.

 

"Ah, of course! With the last part!" The boy swipes his sweat with a towel as he hands the scenario to Minho. The elder just runs through it, roughly knowing the script.

 

"Which part?"

 

"When the Beast turns into a prince." Taemin explains as he leans to the wall, his eyes mischievous.

 

"Isn't that when the Beauty kisses the Beast?" Minho furrows his eyebrows in confusion.

 

"Exactly."

 

"You just want a kiss, don't you?" Minho asks after a few seconds of silence. There's a smile tug on his lips but he waits for an explanation from the other before he lets it grow fully.

 

"Yes." Taemin nods shamelessly.

 

"Why don't you just ask for it?"

 

"I'm in Theatre major. I like it if it's dramatic." The blond boy smiles and he walks closer to the elder. For the whole way, they hasn't broken the eye contact between them. When their bodies are almost touching, Taemin stands on the tip of his toes and takes Minho's slightly parted lips.

 

(And this is the kiss that breaks the curse.

 

In Minho's case, he stops being denial.)

 

"I told you, everyone loves me."

 

 


an/ Please upvote and comment if you liked it!