I - When I saw her

I Owe This Rain

Staggering, Mark wandered in the lonely streets aimlessly. The night was dark; even the stars seemed to shiver of cold. The atmosphere was thick that he could barely see anything through that night. Mark thought that this was the worst night of his entire life, mixed emotions were controlling him. It never hit him that the night would worsen until the rain started pouring, limiting his vision. He let out a sigh and pulled the hood of his jacket up. Despite the cold droplets that came intact with his skin, he continued walking with his two hands in his pocket. But just as he stretched himself, he shivered. The cold went deep into his bones. Since he could think of nothing else, and it was too cold to stay out there, he decided to stop at the nearest cafe.

He hated the rain, for not letting him walk outside against the dark background.

But he knew that he owed the rain.

If the rain didn’t fall on him that night, he would’ve continued walking and never stopped here.

The rain opened his eyes; upon him was an angel, dressed in blue dress with her long brown hair let drip over her shoulders.

She was holding a guitar, sitting on a stool on the stage, singing beautifully. Mark noticed her beautiful slender fingers and how pale her skin was. Her eyes were sparkling even though the light was dim, as if they kept thousands of stars.

Mark was too mesmerized by her voice, and her beauty, that he forgot about his grief. He took a seat on the nearest chair to the stage, his eyes locked on the girl. Who is she? He thought.


Here comes the rain,
Upon the track,
There goes the pain,
It cuts to black,
Are you ready for the last act,
To take a step you can't take back.

Did she love you?
Did she take you down?
Was she on her knees,
When she kissed your crown?
Tell me what you found.

Here comes the rain
So hold your hat,
And don't pray to God,
Cause He won't talk back,
Are you ready for the last act,
To take a step you can't take back.


***


“I don’t love you and I never did. I’m sorry, Wendy. This is final.” The words that Wendy feared of finally slipped his mouth, clearly.

The words never came across her mind in the two years of their relationship; she thought they were so in love, and that they were the happiest.

But he said it. And it was definitely not a dream.

She fell onto the ground, tears started forming in her eyes and within a few seconds, they were let free, rolling down her cheeks. Wendy never thought that this day would come, and she knew it was a fool of her to be left hanging out to dry, alone.

He cursed her, when there was no one left to blame.

Wendy could not fully grasp on the whole situation, but all she knew was that she was breaking. Not because that it was over, but because she was too blind all this time, to not be able to see that she was lied all along. She was devastated to finally know that he had played with her heart, although he knew that she was a sensitive girl with a fragile heart. She was furious; to finally know that he never cared about her.

Her eyes were heavy, her heart was in pain. She remembered about all these years that they shared between them, from the first time she met him. They were so in love, (that was what Wendy always thought, but she was wrong) to the point that they had came to a decision to finally tie themselves in a beautiful knot next year. She remembered the first time he held her hand, telling her not to ever let go. She remembered the whispers and the kisses she always loved every night. She remembered how he undressed her, how they shared the nights together, just the two of them. If she could, she wanted to let out a scream, for making herself look fool in front of someone who took advantage of her. She still could not believe that all these years was an act, a lie, a play by a man, whom she loved with all her heart.

She loved him. 
She did.
But he didn’t.
He never did.

After 30 minutes of silence, accompanied by the hum of the fridge and the of the broken pipe, along with the sobs of the fragile girl, the man decided to walk out. Just before he did, Wendy lifted her head up and wiped her tears.

“Well, goodbye jerk, you have broken every single ing rule.”


***


The audience started clapping when Wendy finally finished singing her last song that night. She forced her lips to come to a smile, and she bowed before leaving the stage. She didn't bother to say anything just like she always did every Saturday night. She tried to be as cheerful as she always was, but she thought that maybe she shouldn't be too hard on herself.

She was about to leave the cafe when she realized that someone she had never seen before was looking at her. He was a tall, handsome young man, with a blonde hair. He was wearing a simple red sweater, dark blue jeans and a pair of converse.

Well, maybe he never really came here on Saturdays. Or maybe he never did. Wendy thought.

Wendy wasn’t sure why, but she stared at him back, as if he was doing some magic on her, setting her eyes on his. She wanted to leave but for some reasons, she was attracted to him, and spontaneously, she smiled at him.

And he smiled back.

And that was the most beautiful smile Wendy had ever seen.


***

Unknowingly, Mark started walking towards the girl that was only three meters away from him. He gathered his courage and after a long pause, he finally came to his sense and started forming words on his mouth.

"Your singing was beautiful." Mark smiled towards her, expecting her to say something in return.

"Thank you," the girl replied, a smile formed on her lips, a genuine one.

"So uh..."Mark stuttered. He did not know what was wrong, (he was never that shy in front of girls, and usually he had something to say) but this time he could not control his face, he gulped, afraid that the girl might think of him weirdly. 

"Are you okay?" Her voice echoed through Mark's ear, returning Mark back into reality.

"Yeah, I'm okay, I really am." He smiled awkwardly.

"Well, okay then. I should go now."

"W- Wait!" Oh , what is wrong with me?

"Yes?" The girl giggled.

"Can we grab some coffee...together?" Mark bravely asked, his eyes were still locked onto hers.

"Sure."