Tonight

Tonight

TONIGHT

 

 

“Umma! Why do you have to do this! What century are we now?? Arrange marriage are so yesterday!”, Dara protested.

 

“Dara, you have no choice but to marry Seung Hyun. He’s a good kid! In fact I already met him twice.”

 

“I don’t care! Why do I have to marry the person I didn’t even meet once?”

 

“Because it’s your Appa’s order!”

 

“Just because it’s my Appa’s order, I should just comply?’

 

“Nae! You have no choice my dear! It’s your responsibility as Park Jin Young’s daughter”

 

“Umma do you really want me to suffer??”

 

“Aniyo! That’s why I agreed on this. Trust me! You will like him”

 

 

 

 

That’s all I can remember before I agreed in my so called  arrange marriage. I’m now in New York to have a one-week vacation before marrying that Seung Hyun guy who I haven’t met once. Silly yes! I really haven’t met him even once. Even his pictures. I bet he’s ugly! Kkkk.. Nappeun Yeoja! Mian! I’m not really that kind of person. It’s just that I really hate him.

 

I, Sandara Park is engaged to an unknown person! Nope! He’s not unknown! He’s Choi Seung Hyun! A  second generation chaebol same as me. Haizzt! Being a chaebol is not really that pleasant. You’re asked to do what is against your heart. But I wonder what he looks like!

 

 

 

Whoooahh! I’ll never fall out of love with New York! My second home! This is where I graduated in college. I made some friends and I’m here to visit them and to enjoy being single! Even for a week!

 

“Dara-yah!”, Jiyoung greeted me.

 

“You’re late Jiyoung!”, I said. We’re in a café right now. This is my second day in New York and I’m staying in a friend’s house, Bommie.

 

“Mian! Something just came up. So what’s up??”

 

“Just the same”

 

“I heard that you’re already engaged.”, his voice tone suddenly change. And I know why.

 

“Hmmm.. Unfortunately it’s true”, I said. I know he’s hurt.

 

“So that only means that I really don’t stand a chance”

 

“Jiyoung-ah you had your chance but you just slipped it away”, I said bitterly.

 

“Yeah—It was my fault. If only I could turn back time, I would!”

 

“Hey! Let’s just forget the past. After all it’s all in the past”

 

“But, do you really love that guy?”

 

“Nope!”

 

“Nope??? So why are you marrying him?? Why don’t you just marry me Dara?”

 

“Oh stop kidding Ji!”

 

“I’m not kidding! And by the way, I missed how you say my name”

 

“Here we go again acting so cheesy again.” I took a sip of iced coffee and smiled at him. “It’s an arranged marriage Ji. I can’t just say no to my parents after what they have done to me. I was spoiled to them. This is the only way I can repay them”

 

“So that’s it? Even if you suffer?”

 

“Nae! Even if I suffer”

 

“It hurts Dara! It really hurts!”, I hate him seeing like that.

 

“Don’t be Ji! I really don’t know what to say but..”

 

*ring*ring*ring*

 

“Answer it Ji. That must be an important call”

 

“Nae” he then answered his phone and turned away.

 

“Nae—Arasso! I’m on my way”, I heard.

 

“Ahmm.. D,”

 

“I know. You can go. I’m fine here”,  just same old story.

 

“You sure??”

 

“Yes.”,

 

“Thanks D.”, he kissed me on the cheeks and bid his goodbye.

 

“Bye-Take care!”

 

 

And I can see my first love, my ex-lover walking away the nth time. This is the reason why we broke up. I’m not his priority. But we loved each other dearly. I was the one who first let go of him. Too much broken promises, too much hurt. In a point that I can’t stand it anymore.

 

“Excuse me”, my thoughts were cut off when someone barged in.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Is this seat taken?”,

 

My parents taught me how to be polite. “No”

 

“Can I seat in?”, he then  smiled at me. He’s pretty cute huh.

 

“Hmmm.. Okay”

 

“Oh thank you!”

 

“You’re an Asian, right?”

 

“Yep. I’m a Korean.”

 

“Really?? I’m a Korean too. By the way, I’m.. Top, and you??”

 

“Top??Is that your nickname?”

 

“Yep.”

 

“So call me too by my nickname, Tokki”

 

“Tokki??hahaha”, he chuckled cutely. “Sounds cute.”

 

“Oh thank you Top-ssi.”

 

“Omo! So you really believed in me?”

 

“Of course! Coz’ it’s all true! Tokki is a cute name”

 

Hahahaha. He’s laughing. “I didn’t know you’re very conceited.”

 

I then glared at him.

 

“Hahahaha! Just kidding Tokki”, Tokki. . The way he say it is very different. I just found myself enjoying  his company.

 

We talked to different topics- Politics, economics, and celebrities. You’ll never get bored when you’re with him.

 

“So Tokki, why are you here in NYC by the way”

 

“Just for a vacation. A one-week vacation. And after that I will go back to reality.”

 

“Eh? A one-week vacation? I’m actually on a one-week vacation too. I have a good idea. Why don’t we just accompany ourselves in this vacation?”

 

“Sounds good but you’re still a total stranger to me.”

 

“You’re a total stranger to me either”, should I take the risk?

 

“Okay.”

 

“So you’re accepting my proposal??”

 

“Yep-”

 

“So where’s our first destination?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Silly of me. I am with a stranger but I don’t mind. I really enjoyed his company. I think I like him.

 

We’ve been in Statue of Liberty. It’s my second time being here. First was with Jiyoung.

 

 

 

TOP’s POV

 

It’s my first being here in the Statue of Liberty. My original plan was to come alone but Tokki is so fun to be with that I invited her. She’s going to be with me the rest of my vacation.

 

I feel like this is so wrong. I’m already an engaged person and will be married next week. But heck! I can’t control my feelings for her. My parents taught me how to be responsible and here I am, being irresponsible. 

 

I feel like I’m betraying Sandara Park, my supposed to be fiancée but I didn’t even met her once. Was that supposed to be enough reason to betray her? I feel so bad and at the same time happy being with Tokki! Even if it’s only one week happiness, I don’t care as long as I’m happy.

 

“I’m hungry! Let’s go grab for something Toppy”, and then she smiled at me. That’s the most beautiful smile I ever saw in my whole life.

 

 Nae. Even just for a week.

 

“Okay! What do you want to eat?”

 

“Anything! As long as it’s a food. kkkk”

 

She’s so damn beautiful!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After we ate dinner I took her home. In her friend’s home. As long as I wanted to take her in my apartment, I can’t.

 

Hahahaha! Just kidding! Just thinking silly thoughts.

 

 

 

 

“So see you tomorrow?”, I said.

 

“Yes Toppy!”

 

“I’ll just fetch you tomorrow! What time do you think you’re available?”

 

“7 am??”

 

“Huh???”

 

“Hahahaha! Just kidding Toppy! You know what, you should get used at me kidding all the time!”

 

“I will mam!”

 

“Good!”, she then tapped my shoulder. “How about after lunch?”

 

“Sounds nice. See you then Tokki”

 

“Nae! Annyeong!”

 

“Annyeong!” As much as I want to kiss her, I can’t.

 

There’s so many things I can’t do to her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Annyeong Bommie!”

 

“Hi D. So how’s your walk?”

 

“Just fine. Hey Bommie! I met this someone! Well he’s nice and I’m comfortable with him”

 

“A white man?”

 

“No. A Korean”

 

“A Korean.”

 

“Yes! And I think I like him!”

 

“That’s your first time liking somebody after Ji”

 

“Was that supposed to be good or bad?”

 

“Good because you finally moved on but bad at the same time coz’ you’re not allowed to like someone anymore because you’re already engaged”

 

“Yeah you’re right. But I can’t help it unni”

 

“But in the end, you’ll just get hurt”

 

“I know unni! That’s why I’ll just savor every moment with him”

 

“You have never been like that with Jiyoung”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I can’t sleep!

 

“You have never been like that with Jiyoung”

 

The words of Unni keep on repeating endlessly.

 

She’s right. I have never been like this with Ji.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Aishht!!

 

Why is she in my mind! I can’t sleep because of her.

 

I’m excited to see her again tomorrow.

 

Tomorrow. Yeah! Tomorrow.

 

 

 

 

 

JIYOUNG’s POV

 

 

She’s already getting married. It hurts like hell. I can’t have her as much as I want too.

 

You’re now paying the price Jiyoung of taking advantage of her. You have been very confident of not losing her to the point that you’re already hurting her.

 

The call awhile ago, it was just me. I just really can’t take it.

 

Maybe it’s time for me to move on. But I don’t think it’s that easy. I love her so much to death.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“D! Someone’s looking for you!”

 

“Okay! I’ll be there in a minute.”

 

“Hi! You look so gorgeous as usual”

 

“I’ll take that as a compliment”

 

“Ms. Conceited as ever!”

 

“Yah!”

 

Hahaha!

 

We both laughed.

 

“So shall we?”, he said and lift his hands.

 

“We shall”, I then grab it.

 

 

 

I only wore a t-shirt with my favorite girl group 2ne1 printed on it. Toppy is wearing a very cute dark blue jacket. He’s handsome as ever. Kkkkk..

 

 

 

 

We took a remembrance photo. I will remember every moment with him. I will remember him. Forever in my heart. For he once became a part of me.

 

This is our first picture together. “It turned out well”

 

“Yeah! Look I’m so handsome in there!”

 

“Now, who’s conceited between us?”

 

“Us! Hahaha”, we both laughed. I’ll definitely miss him.

 

“But in the end you’ll just get hurt”

 

I think I’m in love with him now! But this isn’t right! Dara. This will be the last. Nae, this will be the last time to be with him.

 

“It’s getting late. Shall we go home now?”, I asked him.

 

“No, not yet!”

 

“Wae?”

 

“I’ll take you somewhere. That place is actually my sanctuary place and I wanna share it with you.”

 

“Really?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Here we are”

 

“In the rooftop?”

 

“This is not just a rooftop. Look closer there”

 

I then saw the different lights coming from different buildings. I can see the whole city up in here. This place is beautiful!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

TOP’s POV

 

“Wow Toppy! This place is beautiful!”, I saw her eyes shining. You’re more beautiful Tokki!

 

“I told yah!”

 

“Thank you for sharing this with me Top”

 

“You’re always welcome Tokki”, I’m just behind her, I then embraced her. She’s shocked with my actions.

 

She’s not moving. “Let’s just stay this way Tokki, just for Tonight.”

 

“You’ve became very important to me. Remember what you said the first time we met? You said after this week, you’ll return to your real life. We’re actually on the same boat. After this week, my life will be different from before.”

 

“What do you mean?”, she then let go and turned to me.

 

“Hmmm.. I can’t elaborate more coz’ it’s very complicated. But you know what, you changed me. Even if this only our second time meeting, I think I know you from long time ago. Sounds cheesy, right?”

 

I paused.

 

“And I think. I’m. . .inlove. .

 

With you!”

 

I’m waiting for her response. She seemed to be thinking.

 

 

 

“The truth is . . I’m in love with you too Toppy. . But there are things that aren’t meant to be”, I can see sadness in her eyes.

 

“I know that.”

 

Hmmmm.. Awkward. .

 

 

“But you know what if in our next life time we will meet again. I’ll make sure that I will do everything to be with you”

 

“So do I”, I embraced her again. “Why did I just met you?”,

 

“Maybe because we’re not really meant for each other”, is she crying?

 

“Hey!”, I looked at her. She’s really crying silently.

 

Something urged me to kiss her.

 

Yes, I kissed her! And she responded!

 

It felt good! We just found ourselves in my apartment.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Are you sure?”,

 

“Nae. But please be gentle.”

 

“I will”, he then started kissing me and guided me thru his bed.

 

“Tonight. Make me yours. Even if it’s just tonight”

 

 

 

 

 

She’s here, with me. We’ve shared a very wonderful night.

 

 

She’s now sleeping innocently. Before I closed my eyes, I have decided.

 

 

“Sorry Appa, Umma and Sandara”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What is right? What is wrong? It felt so right to be with you. But this is so wrong.

 

 

He’s now sleeping peacefully. Such a scenery. He’s so damn handsome.

 

 

 

 

We did it. Yes, we did it. I know it’s wrong. But what can I do? I love him so much.

 

 

 

I touched his face. “Saranghaeyo Top”

 

 

I have then decided.

 

“Sorry”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Dara! You’re back! You still have 3 days from your vacation.”

 

“Nae umma! But I got bored”, liar!

 

“Really? Maybe you’re just excited in your wedding”

 

“Umma! That would be the last thing I would be excited about”

 

“Dara”

 

“Don’t worry umma! I have accepted that”

 

“Thank you Dara for not disappointing us”

 

“It’s okay umma”, what do you mean it’s okay? Hell! It’s not okay! I’m hurting! I love him but I can’t do anything.

 

“I love you Dara”

 

“I love you too umma!”

 

“Nae. You should take a rest first.”

 

“Yes! I’ll just go upstairs umma”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When I’m in my room, someone texted me. It’s Bom.

 

        D, Top’s been here. He’s been looking for you. As what you said to me, I did tell him to go away. And said that you’re already getting married. You didn’t tell him your true name? Don’t worry I didn’t say anything. Take care always unni! Love u!

 

 

 Thank you Bommie!

 

I then lay in my bed and let it all out!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Wae Tokki? Why did you leave me just like that? Don’t you know what I sacrificed for you?”

The sad meaning behind the words “good bye” become covered by the dark shadows

My memories look towards you, who I have forgotten in my heart

I look for you, oh-eh-oh, below that moonlight that lights me up (below that moonlight)

I look for you oh-eh-oh-oh-oh (Oh you, oh baby) I don’t know where the end is but hey (I don’t know where it is)

 

Tonight

I now understand love but pitifully alone once again, tonight

I look for you below that moonlight that lights me up (such a beautiful night)

I look for you I don’t know where the end is but.

 

I then receive a text. From my father.

 

        Go home now. Your wedding is on Monday. Just 3 days from now.

 

 

“Is this really goodbye? You left with no words. Are you really getting married?” What same fate brought us?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Tokki do you love coffee that much?”

 

“Nae. I really love them. I can almost consume 15 cups per day.. Kkkk”

 

“Hmm.. You’re a coffee addict. Hahaha. You know what, there’s a cafe in Seoul, the Café Benne, the coffee there is good. As in good.”

 

“Really? I know that Café Benne. But I’ve never been there.”

 

“You should try. I always come there whenever I have time.”

 

“So are you saying that I should go there to see you?”

 

“Hahaha.. Gotcha! Hahaha”

 

 

 

I went in Café Benne. I ordered cappuccino and waited for him. Hoping he’ll come.

 

 

Café Benne. Will you be here? I wanna see you for the last time. Just this once Top. Please come.

 

 

 

“You’re here”, said the baritone voice behind me. It’s Toppy.

 

“Yes”, he sitted in front of me.

 

“It’s been like forever. How can you just leave me like that?”

 

“Sorry Top! I’m really sorry.”

 

“Sorry? Is that all you can say? After I finally decided to fight for us?”, fight for us?

 

“You decided to fight for us?”

 

“Yes! And my decision is still firm.”, I was touched. But tomorrow is my wedding day. I can’t just back-out.

 

“Top, I can’t. We can’t. I’m so sorry but. I’m getting married.”

 

“Tomorrow!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

TOP’s POV

 

“Tomorrow”, I think someone slapped me!

 

“You’re g-getting married… .Tomorrow??You’re just kidding me. Right??”

 

“No Top. It’s the truth!”, what a coincidence! We’re both getting married on the same day! Could it be…? But it’s impossible!

 

“No! You can’t! Let’s get married Tokki! Please marry me!”,I’m begging her.

 

“As much as I want to accept your offer, I just can’t Top! The only reason I waited for you here is to bid my goodbye.” She then stood up. “Goodbye!”

 

She’s walking away! The love of my life is walking away from me. She’s getting farther, and farther away. Please don’t leave me!

 

I stood up and chased her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Tokki!”

 

“Are you really going to leave just like this?”

 

“I love you Top! And I love my parents! As much as I want to fight for our love, I just can’t.”, that words coming from her is piercing my heart. I embraced her. I can feel it. She’s really suffering now. We’re both suffering.

 

“Please don’t make this hard for me”, I don’t want to make her suffer more.

 

“Okay”I then let go of her. “I don’t want to see you suffering more Tokki. If this is really what you want- to marry the man your parent wants, then go. Just be happy”

 

“Thank you Top”

 

“But I have only one question”

 

“What is it?”

 

“What’s your real name?”

 

“Sandara Park”, Sandara Park? God! Thank you! You saved me!

 

 

 

 

“Goodbye then Sandara-ssi. Always remember that I love you! And no matter what happens, I’ll always love you”

 

“Thank you Top. I’ll always love you too”, are you cheating on your husband to be Tokki?? Hahaha

 

“Aren’t you going to ask my true name?”

 

“No. I don’t want to. Goodbye Top”, it’s your loss Tokki. Hahaha.

 

“Goodbye D”, Goodbye D, see you tomorrow! On our wedding day! ; )

 

“D??”

 

“Dara. Sandara”

 

“Oh yeah.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Goodbye Toppy! My greatest love.

 

 

I cry my heart out. On the eve my wedding.

 

 

 

 

Brides should be happy. This should be their happiest day. But not mine. I feel like dying!

 

 

 

 

 

I heard someone knocking. “Please come in”

 

 

“Dara”

 

“Yes Umma”

 

“I can’t believe that my only daughter is getting married”

 

“So do I umma”

 

“You look sad Dara. It’s our fault Dara”

 

“No umma! Don’t be. I only know that you’re doing this for me. Mom knows best right?”

 

My mother hugged me. Thanks Umma. I really need that. I then cried.

 

“Dara if this is really against your will. You’re free to back out.”

 

“Ani umma! Don’t worry about! I can’t back out now. Umma, if it’s okay can you please-,”

 

“I know you’re tired D. So get some rest. See you tomorrow”

 

“Nae. Thanks umma!”

 

“By the way Seung Hyun called me awhile ago and ask if you’re doing fine”

 

“Is that so?”

 

“Yes! So sleep tight D. Tomorrow you’ll going to face a different phase in your life”

 

 

 

 

 

This is it! The day of my death.

 

 I watch my reflection in the mirror. I can see a very beautiful lady in front of me. She’s wearing a beautiful make-up and a very elegant wedding dress.

 

“Ms. Conceited as ever”, I recalled Top.

 

For sure, he will say that.  I laughed bitterly.

 

 

“Dara”,

 

“Bommie! What are you doing here? I thought you can’t make it?”

 

“I thought so too. But someone called me”

 

“Oh my umma. You never should have come”

 

“Why wouldn’t I? This is one of your happiest moments. Why wouldn’t I come? ”

 

“Yah Park Bom! Are you out of your mind? Who said that this is one of my happiest moment?”

 

“The one who called me”, my umma is really thoughtful. But my umma’s wrong.

 

“By the way, I asked Jiyoung to come too but he said that he’s very busy”

 

“As usual”

 

 

 

 

 

Okay. This is really it.

 

“Are you sure that this is what you want? Will this make you happy?”, Bommie asked me.

 

“Aniyo! This wouldn’t make me happy!  But my parents will be happy.Oh God Bommie! I love him so much! What should I do?”

 

“Only you will know”

 

Only I, will know. I want to be with him.

 

 

Coz I would run away . .

I would run away with you.

Coz yeah, yeah ..

I’m falling in love with you. .

 

 

 

That’s my wedding song playing.

 

Runaway?

 

My father is beside me. We’re walking in the aisle.

 

This is actually my dream wedding. The motif, the song, the flowers,  the wedding dress, my church wedding, everything. Except for one, the man I’m going to marry. He isn’t Top!

 

He fought for our love. And what did I do? I just walked away and let him go.

 

We’re getting nearer and nearer. And I can see Seung Hyun!

 

I can see. . . his back. . Why isn’t he facing me?? Is he that ugly??

 

No. I’m not that kind of girl.

 

Toppy, my Top. I love you saranghae.

 

“Changkaman!”, I said. We’re in the middle.

 

“Wae?”, my father asked me.

 

“I can’t do this!”

 

“Bwo? Are you crazy Dara?”

 

“Yes! I think I’m going crazy appa! I’m going crazy! Do you know how difficult it is for me to be here? Appa! I’m in love! With someone! And I can’t take to be away from him. Appa! Just this once, let me be with the one I truly love!”

 

My father is very silent. He’s not talking anymore. He must be angry with me.

 

I then looked at Seung Hyun whose back is still facing me.

 

“Seung Hyun-ssi. Mianhaeyo. I can’t marry you. I’m in love with someone. You must understand me.”,

 

“Do you really love him?? Seung Hyun asked.”, the best man asked me. What’s wrong with this Seung Hyun?? Why can’t he ask me directly and why can’t he face me.

 

“Nae. I’m really sorry” I then turned away and ready to be a runaway bride!

 

1, 2, 3, go!

 

“Dara!”, I heard someone called me. it’sTop! Or am I just imagining?

 

The sound is from my back.

 

“Dara. Face me.”

 

Ani! I’m really imagining things. Why is here?

 

And I did turn to him. And saw the biggest shock in my life!

 

“Top?”

 

“Yes!”

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“You pabo! You can’t still get it.”, he then kissed me in the lips. The crowds then cheered. I blushed. So embarrassing!

 

“Kyopta! My bride is blushing!”, he teased me.

 

What the hell is going on? My bride?

 

“S-sseung Hyun??”

 

“Yep! Choi Seung Hyun-imnida!”

 

Is my mind playing tricks on me?

 

Top must read what’s on my mind.

 

“Ani! This is real.”

 

“Is this for real? Are you for real?’

 

“Yes Sandara Park.”

 

“Yah! Are you two getting married or  not?”, my father in.

 

“Of course we will Appa!”, I said loudly that the crowds broke into laughter.

 

This is embarrassing!

 

“Let’s go?”my asked father asked. “Seung Hyun-ah go back to your place.”

 

“Nae Appa!”

 

 

 

 

Take Two!

 

Once again, I’m walking in the aisle with my father. But this time is different. I’m now walking with a smile in the face, with happiness, with contentment, knowing that the man I’m going to marry is the man I love. My Seung Hyun, my Toppy.

 

He’s smiling at me. My groom. You’ve got so much explaining to do later. You’re so gonna get it later, tonight.

 

 

 

Dara, she’s walking with her father. I’m so happy that she fought our love in the end. I never expected it. I’m so happy. I then smiled at her. She’s very beautiful in her gown. 

 

She’s here.

 

“Take care of her.”, her father said.

 

“Nae. I will Appa.”, he then gave Tokki’s hand to me.

 

 

“Are you happy?” , I asked her. We’re now facing the priest.

 

“Nae! But you’ve got so much explaining to do”

 

“I will. Tonight.”, I then gave her a very naughty smile.

 

“Ahem!” , the priest.

 

We both laughed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I know that Dara and I will face a new life, together. I used to be alone and sad. But with her on my side, that will never happen again. I love you Dara, my Tokki.

 

 

Top has been my second love, but he’s been my greatest love. I know with him by my side, I can overcome anything. Saranghamnida Toppy!

 

 

***************************************************************************************

While I was finishing this ff, I’ve thought of making the Part II. Not actually the part 2 but the story behind gd and dara’s break up.