Family

Walking Together

 

"So what you're saying is... YOU GOT MY LITTLE GIRL PREGNANT?!"
 
Sitting in the most polite posture he could Hyun Joong sat awkwardly infront of Taeyeon's father and  stared at the table between the two. "Yeah, that's how humans reproduce. They have se-"
 
Interrupted, Hyun Joong dodged a baseball bat that his father in-law had swung at him, "...Congratz."
 
"YOU JUST SWUNG A BAT AT ME, IS THAT ALL YOU HAVE TO SAY?!" Hyun Joong yelled now leaning over the table with both his hands planted on the surface. 
 
"YOU'RE LUCKY I MISSED YOU ON PURPOSE!", Taeyeon's father fired back. There was a slight pause before both men sighed and retuned to the awkward silence from before. "You've taken good care of her, thank you."
 
A little thrown off Hyun Joong half smiled, "Thanks.. pops." He recieved another bat swing. "OI QUIT SWINGING THAT AROUND!"
 
"YOU'RE THE ONE MAKING THINGS AWKWARD BY CALLING ME DAD!"
 
"I DIDN'T CALL YOU DAD", Hyun Joong grinned, "Heh how about I call you GRANDPA!" The ruckus ensued as Taeyeon's father tried putting Hyun Joong in a headlock.
 
"Hey hey, keep it down you two", Taeyeon said as she walked in with her mother, "you're always at each others' necks when we're all together." She placed a tray of freshly cut fruit onto the table and took her seat next to Hyun Joong.
 
"He's the one swinging bats around", Hyun Joong sighed.
 
"Tsch, I'm just making sure my daughter's son ain't a wimp!" Her father shot back.
 
"Ye Ye", Taeyeon's mother put a piece of watermelon into her husband's mouth, "when we're alone he's always going on about how Taeyeon is in good hands."
 
Slightly embarressed Taeyeon's father kept quiet. "Anyways, now you know the news. You're actually the first to know. Hyun Joong's family is gathering at his old house soon so we'll be announcing it then."
 
"Why not just call?" Her father asked.
 
"I felt like it would be better to do it in person, since we haven't spent much time with family in general after we got married", Hyun Joong explained. "Luckily I'm not the only one with children in my family."
 
"Have you thought of names yet?" Taeyeon's mom asked.
 
"We have, depending on whether its a boy or girl", Taeyeon answered.
 
"If its a boy, we're thinking of naming him Jack" Hyun Joong followed.
 
"If its a girl, we're thinking Maya" Taeyeon concluded.
 
They finished up their quick visit, that had consisted mainly of just catching up. Also included in the coversation was the two's plans to keep a steady living. Hyun Joong plans to continue working while Taeyeon concludes her education. Hyun Joong's pay should be enough for them to last until Taeyeon is able to find a job. The two anticipate any hardship and will plan for the child's wellbeing. Though children are unpredictable an the challenges are never foreseeable, it would have happened sooner or later.
 
The couple headed off to Hyun Joong's family get together, where his parents, and his siblings will discuss the child just as Taeyeon's parents did. As they drove to the house, the two didn't chat much. Hyun Joong recalled all the memories he had there, the quiet and secluded memories included. Who would of thought that the teenager who would lay in bed all day, and ignore his loved ones would turn out to be a father and happily married man. 
 
"Well well, so you knocked that pretty little thing up?" Hyun Joong's older brother joked, "You becoming a father? It's hard to believe you even have a job!" He smiled and patted Hyun Joong on the shoulder.
 
"I'm not the same person, we went over this already", Hyun Joong gave his brother a glare. "I don't see why you have to keep bringing that part of my life up."
 
"I'm only trying to say that you've come a long way!" His brother said, "Can't a older brother be proud of his younger brother?"
 
"Yeah Yeah", Hyun Joong took a drink of water, " You should be worrying about yourself anyways! Yours is already out and about, laying diaper bombs for everyone."
 
"Yeah.. sneaky little bugger that one, it's like a non-stop ride", Hyun Joong's brother began tapping a cup on the table, "At first it's exciting, scary, and your anticipation is threw the roof. Then it's fun, a little stressful when the ride comes back up, and then theres that really scary moment. The one that makes your heart stop. Depending on how things go, it's either relief or disaster." Hyun Joong looked at Taeyeon to his right and they both raised their eyebrows. "Don't get me wrong! Having a child is lovely. Just don't expect it to be some fairytale."
 
"We'll keep that in mind", Taeyeon smiled as she held onto Hyun Joong's right hand an began rubbin her thumb against his skin slightly. "We have a plan."
 
"But you see not everything goes according to plans, you're baby bump has even fully appeared. Theres only so much you can plan at the moment." Hyun Joong's brother continued his lecture.
 
"Still as informative as usual huh?" Hyun Joong said, "I missed you, hopefully we all get together again but we best be heading home." The two said their goodbyes, hugs, kisses and a little extra chatting that people always do at the last minute.
 
--------------------------------
 
"Well today went well", Taeyeon said while the two got ready for bed. "Informative, fun and honestly kind of stressful."
 
"Sorry about my brother, he can get to be a little much with his straight forward advice", Hyun Joong said as he climbed into the sheets with Taeyeon. He turned off the lights and began to cuddle with his wife. "He means well, as most family members do."
 
"It didn't bother me at all," Taeyeon smiled as she restfully laid her head on Hyun Joong's arm. "You're almost as straight forward as he is." Hyun Joong kissed Taeyeon's forehead.
 
"We can talk more tomorrow, but I'm surprisingly exhausted. Which must mean you are to", Hyun Joong yawned.
 
Taeyeon complied and got even more comfortable than she already was. They dozed off soon after and their quick yet exhausted day finished.
 
 
 
------------------
 
A/N: It's been so long! I'm so sorry! I've been busy, lazy, and have been focusing on school and other projects. I do plan on updating, but I can't guarentee a set schedule. Here is a short chapter as I begin to get back into writing. Hope you enjoy! 
 
Don't forget to Comment/Subscribe!