Final

The Warmth in My Heart

Despite being back in the hotel, they still felt a chill as they walked through the lobby and to their room. Jonghyun was the one to knock on the door across the hall from theirs to let Taemin and Minho know that they were back safely. Two quick knocks and a pause before the third, it was the same system they had all used when they still lived in the dorm.  It was late and neither Jonghyun nor Key wanted to bother their groupmates or their managers.

Key pulled Jonghyun into their shared hotel room, eager to get changed into more comfortable clothes and under a pile of thick blankets. Jonghyun didn’t protest in the slightest, he wanted the same thing Key did. They had a nice day together, sightseeing and a coffee date, but now that they were back in the hotel they felt the exhaustion of the past few days catching up with them.

The chill was still there, Jonghyun felt it in his bones and he didn’t waste time in turning on the heater. Key was already on the other side, stripping off his clothes and putting on striped pajama pants. Jonghyun admired the rippling muscles on his back as he watched Key crouch down and rummage through his suitcase trying to find the top.

Key had only managed to pull it out from the bottom of the suitcase before he felt fingertips ghosting over his shoulder blades. He chuckled and turned round, slapping Jonghyun’s hand away in a playful manner. “None of that, Jjong. Not today.”

“Fine, fine. Can I get some cuddles though?” Jonghyun asked as Key slipped his arms into the sleeves of his pajama top.

“Do you even have to ask?” They shared a sweet smile. They were both tired and still a bit cold, but they were content with having spent the whole day together.

“Thank you.” Jonghyun said in a whisper, “For spending the day with me, I mean.”

“You know I’d spend the rest of my life with you if you asked me to, there’s no need to thank me for a day.” Key pulled him forward by the lapels of the coat he was still wearing and kissed him. Even after the initial kiss, neither of them pulled away. The chill was leaving their bodies and it was being replaced by each other’s warmth.

“I’ll take you up on that one day, keep that in mind. You’ll never be able to get rid of me.”

“Who said I wanted to?” Key pressed his palms to Jonghyun’s chest, pushing him back just enough to his coat and push it off his shoulders.

“I love you,” Jonghyun said, stepping forward again and wrapping his arms around Key’s waist.

“Yeah, yeah. Me too.” Key smiled and pat Jonghyun’s head.

“Say it properly, I want to hear it.” Jonghyun was pouting, looking far too cute for a man his age.

“I love you, okay? Now let’s get you changed so we can get in bed.”

In almost no time at all, Jonghyun was changed into his own pajamas and both his and Key’s before-bed routines were done. They were under the covers of the bed soon after, their limbs tangled. The room dark and still, their breath the only sound.

After a few minutes of silence, Jonghyun shifted so his head was resting on Key’s chest. He concentrated on Key’s steady heartbeat, willing for sleep to take him. Key was used to Jonghyun’s restlessness at night, having spent many nights with him. He knew the little tricks to get Jonghyun comfortable and sleepy.

Key had a hand settled on the small of Jonghyun’s back and the other was gently playing with the hair just above the nape of his neck when the soft humming began. Jonghyun went through a couple of different melodies, all new to Key. He pointed out the ones he particularly liked, and Jonghyun committed those to memory. He would come back to those and see what he could come up with.

He was so comfortable and content in Key’s arms. He felt warm, wanted. It wasn’t long before words started to fill his mind. He started saying them out loud, testing them on his tongue just to see if he really liked them. Key was used to this too, so he reached over to the nightstand and grabbed his phone. He typed the words Jonghyun was saying with one hand, the other rubbing soft circles on his back.

“What brought that on?” Key asked a while after Jonghyun was done letting out some of his creativity.

“You did. It’s been a while since I’ve been able to spend time with you like this. Hell, I got to hold your hand in public today! How long has it been since we’ve done that? It feels like forever.” Jonghyun gave a soft sigh and pressed himself even closer to Key.

“That should be something we can do whenever we feel like, Jjong,” Key says, a bitter edge to his voice.

“One day, Key.” Jonghyun shifts to his side and pulls him along until they are lying with their chests pressed together. Through the darkness, Jonghyun looks into Key’s eyes and intertwines their fingers. “One day we’ll move to America and you’ll be my husband. We’ll buy a house in San Francisco, just like you’ve always wanted. We’ll fall asleep every night just like this and we’ll get to sleep in whenever we want. We’ll have dates all the time and we’ll go to dinner or a movie and not worry about anyone seeing us. We can go grocery shopping and hold hands while doing it, then we can go home and cook ourselves a nice meal and watch T.V. until we get sleepy. After a couple of years, we’ll adopt a couple of babies and we’ll raise them to be the best kids in the world. We’ll grow old together, okay?”

Jonghyun squeezes Key’s hand to reassure him. “I know things aren’t easy right now, but we’ll get through it.”

Jonghyun hardly gets the words out before Key’s kissing him.

“I’m so glad it’s you I fell in love with,” Key tells him after their kiss.

“Me too.” he says back, stealing another kiss.

Sleep is tugging at the edge of Jonghyun’s consciousness, the beat of Key’s heart next to his lulling him to sleep. Maybe Key didn’t know it, but his warmth and the beat of his heart was the most effective cure for Jonghyun’s insomnia.


 

I spent a good couple of hours trying to get this right lol I hope y'all liked it! :D I have a thing for non-au jongkey and I can never find enough of it, so I write lol 

I love reading and replying to comments, so feel free! <3 I'd love to know what you guys think of my writing and to talk to you!

~shineemyheart