Pre-debut

Still Into You

Jongin's P.O.V.

 

I was only 16 back then. Being the youngest, and the only boy in the family have made me a person who is easily scared by everything.

And by everything, I mean, people, mostly. I have a hard time warming up to people, and have had a long series of misunderstandings since little. That was why, when they first introduced me to Kyungsoo, I could not even look at him straight in the eye.

I thought after all these years of training under SM, I would finally get enough confidence to at least greet a person decently when I met them. In fact, I was one of the most popular trainee at SM, predicted by many to be the next dance prodigy, after Eunhyuk hyung and Hyeoyon noona. Rumours were spreading wildly about a new rookie group SM was plannng carefully to make the latest Hallyu wave trend, and my possibility of debuting was high.

Still, I was only 16, that was the only excuse I could make for ignoring Kyungsoo at the start. Junmyeon hyung, he was there longer than I was. He was the one who introduced me to Kyungsoo. He told me that he had a great voice and is going to be one of the members of our group, EXO.

First impression? Not so good. I glanced down and saw big owl-like eyes glaring back at me. What did I even do to him? I asked myself. We just met and he was already glaring at me like this? He must be one of those types. 

Me being so popular among the dance coaches have unfortunately brought a few of the trainees to despise me. Kyungsoo must be one of those types, I thought to myself. 

Henceforth, I decided to ignore him like I do to all my haters, and go on with my routine of practice, eat, sleep, practice, eat and sleep.

There was one time that Junmyeon hyung asked me if I wanted to go have dinner with them, I saw that Kyungsoo was joining. I was scared that we would make the atmosphere awkward and decided to make up an excuse about a doctor's appointment that I never had. Junmyeon hyung eyed me curiously as I never turned down and invitation to eat before, not to mention they were going to eat chicken (the love of my life) but saw my eye signal and understood, thankfully.

 

It was after a dance training session a few weeks afterward, that my perception started to change. I was changing into my casual attire when Junmyeon hyung approached me. "Jongin, can I talk to you for a second?". I knew there was something important otherwise he wouldn't call to talk to me in private like this. "Sure hyung, anything wrong?"

"Now Jongin-ah, I know it's hard for you, but you have to start overcoming your phobia of talking to people - fast. We ate debut-ing soon and I don't want this one in a lifetime chance to be ruined just because you two can't get along." I immediately knew who he was referring to. "But hyuuung, he is the one who doesn't seem to like me very much. He's one of those types." I retaliated. Junmyeon frowned "Where did you get that idea? Kyungsoo's really nice. In fact, he oftencomplimented your dancing skills. I think he wants to get closer to you."

"That's impossible, the first time we met he glared at me." I responded, not wanting to lose. 

Junmyeon's shoulder relaxed. "Ah, so that was why you were so scared." He looked deep in thought. " Listen, Jongin, I think you misunderstood. Kyungsoo has astigmatism, his eyesight is not very good. That's why he has to make his eyes smaller to see clearly. Many people have misunderstood this, but I thought you were just shy, Jongin-ah."

Astigmatism? Poor eyesight? That does sound logical.. "You mean, I misunderstood him all this while?" Junmyeon chuckled. "I guess so. I think you should aproach him, he seems like he really wants to be friends with you."He patted my shoulder and left to pack up his things.

That night, I was getting ready to sleep at the dance studio when I heard a melodious voice. Curiosity got the best of me as I found myself wandering the lonely corridors, finding the source of the voice. My feet stopped moving as soon as I reached the empty room where there was nothing except a worn out red cushion and an old looking coffee table. The empty room made the voice echo in all directions, almost like an opera theatre. The voice was facing the wall, unaware of my presence.

"Hello?"

Clearly, the boy was startled. His body seemed to tense up before he turned around and caught my eye contact. My breath hitched.

Do Kyungsoo. My mind wandered back to the conversation I had earlier that evening with Junmyeon hyung. Looking at him now, it seemed funny that I was scared of him. From afar, his small torso and wide eyes made him look like a lost penguin, like my favourite cartoon character up till now, Pororo. "Annyeong." I tried to break the awkward silence. He didn't reply.

Before I had the chance to rethink my actions, I walked towards him. He seemed nervous. Maybe he was worse in this than I was, I thought to myself. "Do you always practice this late at night? Usually I'm the last to leave the building. I heard you singing and thought that it was really good." His lips started to form a smile at the compliment. "Thank you, I-I don't usually practice this late but since we are close to our debut, I just wanted to make sure everything was perfect..I didn't even realise it was this late."

"Would you like to sleep with me at the dance studio? It's too late and dangerous to go back home now, and I'm planning to spend the night here so I can wake up earlier for practice tomorrow." "I-I don't- are we allowed to?" He keeps stuttering. "Nobody will know as long as we don't get caught" I smiled, thinking of the first time I spent the night here because of my best friend Lee Taemin. Ever since he debuted, I've been spending the night alone here, but it didn't bother me as long as I could dance longer than anyone else.

"Okay then." He smiled looking more relaxed.

That night, I slept later than I intended to, it turns out that Do Kyungsoo is a really great guy, with a great sense of humour. He told me that he gets nervous around people who he thinks dislikes him, which included me - before I approached him. I told him about my misunderstanding and he laughs. "Almost everyone said that about me. I guess I should get glasses or something". We ended up sharing a lot of stories and got to know each other a little bit more. 

Before I drifted off to sleep on the light beige coloured wooden floor, Kyungsoo asked me if I would like to go out for coffee tomorrow. I didn't like coffee, I always thought that it tasted like poison, but I didn't want to miss a golden opportunity like this, so I said yes. My eyes flickered at his satisfied smile, before he hugged his blanket and closed his eyes.

Hmm, he's not bad, I thought to myself. Not bad at all.