Revival

The Monsters In Us

It hurt.

It hurt so bad to be by his side right now.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." she whimpered out as the horrid sounds of his gasping chokes continued to bounce off of the walls over and over again.

She sat about a yard from him with her back pressed against the old walls.

She had her knee drawn up to her stomach and her chin set on top while he was laying in an awkward position on the dirty floor.

His leg was twisted the wrong way and dark red liquid continued to seep and form a large puddle underneath his trembling body.

The shirt he wore now stained with dried blood and shifted at each interval of his gasp for air.

His eyes were wide open and they scared her.

Scared her because he was staring at her unblinkingly as if begging her to save him and she couldn't.

She couldn't go against her vendetta.

She couldn't save him.

The moonlight from outside filtered into the room and lit up his pale face and she had never seen a man more handsome and surreal.

He was dying.

He was dying and she could only sit there rocking back and forth with eyes pointed forward so that she couldn't see him.

She knew that he didn't want her to save him.

She could save and kill him.

She could take the last breath from him and let him live in one simple move but she couldn't.

He was meant to die and she couldn't go against her rules to save him.

But could she let him die?

His heartbeat was steadily faltering and in just a couple of seconds he would be gone. Swept off the face of this planet and there would be no more Hunter to make a cold monster like her laugh.

No more Hunter Rhodes.

She laughed bitterly and could feel hot tears stream down her cold face even though there were no tears, even though there never would be tears again.

10 seconds. 9 seconds.

She counted as the palpitations of his vena cava slowed and the intervals of his choking stopped.

He would be gone soon.

Her knuckles popped from the tension of her clenched fist.

She couldn't do it.

Her body quivered before she twisted to him and dropped onto her knees with a painful thud.

She didn't feel pain.

Could only feel panic bubble up as she threw herself across his seemingly cold body although hot blood had occupied it just moments ago.

Her ear pressed against his chest and she trembled at hearing the feint "blub ble-ub".

She lifted her head and bright red eyes glowed from the moonlight before she pressed a soft kiss across his damp forehead.

Now there would be another monster on this earth.

A beautiful monster.


.

.

.