A baby

Sirens' Song

Siren:

Young women, who either commit suicide by drowning due to an unhappy marriage (they might have been jilted by their lovers or abused and harassed by their much older husbands), or who were violently drowned against their will (especially after becoming pregnant with unwanted children).

 

On the coast of a great Kingdom a fishermans wife, after years of trying and praying finally was about to give birth. The fisherman could only wait outside the their hut as the midwife helped his wife with her delivery. It was well into the night when the sound of sirens started to sing their hair raising songs, and at the peek of their song the wife finally gave birth to a healthy and beautiful baby girl. The midwife felt uncomfortable for the birth had come at what was considered the most deadliest part of the sirens song. It was the part of the song that seduced men into their watery grave, but it was also rare to hear them sing that far unless they did in fact lure a man. It wasnt that uncommon to hear sirens at night for the kingdom was close to the sirens lair, and as long as you were on dry land their voices couldnt harm you. Since the midwife knew how blessed the couple was to even have this baby she stayed silent for their happiness and picked the name Ariane meaning utterly pure.  

As a couple years past the couple noticed something odd with their baby girl for instead of speaking she would humm to their horror the same tune the sirens would sing at night. Even though they desperately tried to get her to stop the humming later turned into singing and her singing became so beautiful and enchanting that some of the other people living in the village would mistake her voice for one of the sirens. As Ariane grew up her appearance became just as bewitching as her voice till one night as she was alone on the beach listening to the sirens sing she decided to join in. The odd thing with sirens voices is that they sound close but they were really miles away, but because of their abilities their voice projected to lure any that got close. What Ariane didnt know was that sirens could hear just as well.

 

Sirens:

It was the time of night that our sisters would sing our song that promised beauty, glory, pain and death. In the middle of our song we heard a voice join us in our song from the direction of the humans. At first we thought it was another sister until we realized its song was of loneliness, harmony, and peace. Very different from a sirens. It lured us to see this human that could sing so otherworldly like us, and so we ventured towards the coast to see a young female human on the shore singing her heart out. We watched the human in fascination, and wonder until we realized that our bodies had carried us dangerously close to the coast until we could see the female clearly which meant the human could see us.

Ariane:

As I finished my song I noticed movement in the water until the appearance of around ten beautiful women in the water froze me in my spot. I knew what they were, but never in history had I heard of sirens being this close to the coast. We stared at each other until one of the sirens started to sing again, but this time not a song to lure but to just sing. Soon the other sirens joined in as they watched me with a look of anticipation. Realizing what they were waiting for I joined in with my voice, and was dazed by the moment for I a human was singing with Sirens....

This went on for days and week where at night I would meet the sirens and sing with them, and each time they would venture closer to me until one day I could see them clearly. Instead of tails that I was told should be pretty and colorful actually reminded me of the tails of the horrifying creatures that lurked in the waters called sharks. It was terrifying yet intriguing, and I couldnt contain my curiosity any longer. When they got close enough for me to talk, I finally had the courage to talk to them.

'Hello my name is Ariane' The silence that enveloped made me fear that speaking had been a mistake until I heard a melodic voice.

'Hello Ariane human from the coast we would love to exchange names, but unfortunately we dont remember ours.' At this I was confused.

'You have no names?'

'There is no need for one if you have lived as long as we have sweet child.' I see

'Why have you come so close to the coast umm..' At this I paused.

'You may call us what you humans describe us as. Sirens.'

'Why have you come so close to the coast beautiful sirens?' The sirens giggled after being called beautiful.

'It is you who called us human.' ME?

'Dont fear for we do not hurt human females so you are safe little one.' One of the sirens smiled trying to make me at peace, but instead I saw nothing but sharp teeth making my heart beat race a little at the sight.

The sirens left a little later, and I returned home to think about what had occurred. A human had a peaceful conversation with a siren and I lived the next day. A true miracle. As I got closer to the sirens they would bring me all sorts of items from shells to pearls as a gesture of good will and friendship, and I would bring them things like mirrors and combs and their favorite makeup. Surprisingly they loved the mirrors and would play with them like children by making weird faces that would leave me gasping for air after laughing so hard.

Yet the joyful times were not meant to last for the Kings son had gotten word of a beautiful woman that lived in a village near the coast whose appearance, and voice could rival that of a siren. He was a man who wanted to collect treasure, and show off so he decided he must have this girl as a part of his harem to make him that much better than others. He was the pure meaning of narcissistic cruel greedy and selfish. He sent someone to get her, and bring her back by force if needed. Ariane and her parents were speechless when the messenger arrived. Her father was outraged while her mother sobbed for they knew what type of person the prince was and to have their innocent daughter subjected to the horrors of his harem was worse than death. She was given till the next morning to return with the messenger.

As night fell Ariane returned to the sea to tell the sirens the news.

'Ariane why do you look so sad my lovely doll?' One of the sirens asked.

'I have been asked to be a part of the Princes harem and I cant refuse.' At this the once magnificent creatures turned scary as the sound of hissing erupted.

'Come here my lovely doll.' This was the first time the lead Siren asked this, and left me uncertain, but I knew that they would not harm me.

I walked into the ocean until it reached my hip as soon the entire group of sirens swam up to me for the first time, and did something that took me by surprise. One by one the sirens kissed my cheek and gave me a strong hug before leaving until it was just the lead siren. She looked at me with an unreadable expression before speaking again.

'My Doll... Do you know how a siren is born?' Shaking my head she continued.

' A siren is born after a female woman is scorned by a lover and either commits suicide in the ocean or is murdered and drowned by a man in the ocean... A siren is born from the overwhelming hatred of men.' At this I was shocked.

'That is why we understand your sorrow little one. If you are ever lonely sing at the balcony towards the ocean, and we will sing back so you will never truly be alone.' At this she also kissed my cheek before swimming back to their cove.

I watched as everything finally fell around me, and the knowledge of what was to come left me crying in the ocean until the sun greeted me yet it seemed today wasnt very warm or bright as I walked back home to get ready to leave.

 

 I hope you enjoyed the first chapter, and please leave a comment, and upvote so I can know how 

you lovely readers felt about it. Especially my take on Sirens ;)

tumblr_mrbu1uFr461seky45o1_500.gif

How I feel anticipating the comments XD

3209159293_1_12_M8BYtqOu.gif

How I feel after finishing the first chapter XD