Prologue

Blinding Light

“Kyungsoo, no…”

But it was too late. Kyungsoo was too far gone. There was nothing anyone could do to bring him back.

“Kyungsoo, I’m sorry…”

And then everything was blanketed in his light.

 

 

 

That was months ago and now, Baekhyun diligently watches over him, still in stasis, looking like he’s gently sleeping. He waits for the other to wake up. He knows nothing will ever be the same again but he still waits, hoping, for everything to be back to normal.

 

“Baekhyun?”

Baekhyun turns to the sound and he finds Jongdae by the door, holding a tray of food and he gets up to help.

“You can leave after you eat, Baek. I’ll watch over Kyungsoo for now.”

He feels his body wanting to take the advice. He feels his body aching for rest. Still, he just offers a smile at his friend and sits back down.

“I have to be here when he wakes up.”

 

Baekhyun still remembers the day he had to put Kyungsoo to sleep.

It began like any other day, routine. Another day at the office, more lives to save. He had a gift. He could bend light and use it to his will. He was a hero, and he wasn’t alone. They were like a super powered police force, called in when emergency services weren’t enough. Kyungsoo was his partner, in more ways than one. They lived together and led a happy life. Kyungsoo was with him when the call came.

A gang of mages was running amok in a suburban area. When they got there, it was a scene of chaos. Security personnel were cowering behind cover while objects were being thrown at them. It wasn’t what shocked them.

One of the rogue mages was Baekhyun’s old flame Chanyeol, and Baekhyun wanted to save him. They could not come up with a unified plan because Kyungsoo wanted to put them all down immediately while Baekhyun wanted to save his…friend.

 

It had been discussed between them many instances before. Kyungsoo’s insecurities and Baekhyun’s insensitivities.

Now, Kyungsoo didn’t want to talk about it. He broke cover and went for an opening.

They got him first. One of the mages could control minds and she got to Kyungsoo’s fast. He was known among the gifted for being very focused and hard to take down. Now they got him and she meant to take care of him for good.

 

Baekhyun had to decide and there was only one thing he could do. He could put everyone to sleep and he did so immediately. He didn’t know. He couldn’t have known. Everyone woke up except for Kyungsoo. Nobody could fully explain what happened, only that maybe, Kyungsoo’s mind was already gone.