Dilemma

The last time ever

Jinri saw nothing in her dream.All those years, she could only see darkness but this time, a sweet voice was calling her name.

"Jinri"

"Jinri"

"Jinri!"

She shoot her eyes open when she realized the voice wasn't coming from her dream.Then shut her eyes closed again as she saw Taemin preparing what she assumed to be breakfast.

"Jinri wake up.Or I'm going to throw this fish back into the river." Taemin jokingly threatened her.She huffed and opened her eyes again.Her hands went to her empty stomach.She wanted to sleep again and search for her own food later but then she realized, she was too lazy to do it.

She just sat there in the open hut and just watch as Taemin busily walk here and there in order to cook the fishes that he caught earlier.Taemin must have woken up early and quietly too, since she was a light-sleeper.But she guessed she was just tired to not hear the splashing.It's not easy to catch a fish.Taemin must have struggled a lot.She saw the soft smile on Taemin's face.He's still smiling!Then she remembered what Taemin told her last night.

"Hey. did I really smile?" She blurted out the question.

"Yeah." A short reply came from Taemin who was so focused on cooking the fish that he couldn't even avert his eyes from it.

It turned silent again.Until Taemin beckoned for her to come and eat.They ate together, but silently.Each not knowing what to say to start a conversation.Though Jinri was friendly, she didn't have anything to talk about since she spent most of her life in her room.

"Where do you come from?" Taemin asked and this time he really looked into Jinri's eyes.That only meant that he really wanted to know the answer.Jinri fidgeted a little before voicing out her reply.

"From the city." 

Taemin just nodded and continued eating.

"Do you want to see something interesting?Staying in the city, you only eat dust and air pollution every day." He suggested.Jinri hummed in reply.There was nothing else to do anyway, except for killing him.But that would be too early.

"We have to start moving after this.The place is a little bit far from here." 

 

Jinri was awestruck as she saw the view in front of her.They've just arrived at the meant place which looked like a land with no end.There was no trees canopy to block their sight of the sky.Of course the sun will burn burn them mercilessly but sometimes, no protection is a good thing.When it's nighttime.

When the sun started to disappear, which they never failed to witness the beautiful moment, the stars started decorating the night sky, and it resulted in a breathtaking view.Jinri started jumping around excitedly while cupping after she realized that she was seeing stars.Real stars.

"Why are you so excited?" Taemin asked.He actually didn't really want to know the answer.He only wanted to talk to her.

"I'm seeing stars! For real!" She answered with a big smile.And that was the first time Taemin could see her teeth.No one can ever hide their happiness.

"You've never seen stars before?" 

"Only in pictures." 

"Well, good then.Dinner's ready anyway." Taemin said and naturally held her hand to lead her to the fireplace.

They ate and talk and had fun.Taemin even sang a song for her.During the singing, Jinri couldn't help but to miss her father.Taemin reminded her of him a lot.The way Taemin would always encourage her to have fun.Her father would also do the same to her if he was still alive.Taemin was almost like a replacement for her father, and it would stay there.Because no one can replace her father.

They had their fun but soon, the sleepiness kicked in and they were yawning and their eyes were half-opened.But they still wanted to talk.Even if they were spitting out nonsense, they wanted to hear each other's voice.Until Taemin stood up straight and announced that he was going to sleep.

"Can we sleep in the open area?" Jinri kind of begged.She wanted to capture the view and lock it in her memory because that night would be the last chance for her to kill him.And she would go back to being the old Jinri.The frowning and boring Jinri.

"That's a good idea." Taemin sleepily responded and trudged his way to the meant place.He then lied on the green grass and immediately fell asleep after murmuring a 'goodnight' to Jinri.

Jinri took her place beside the sleeping Taemin and stared at him, her dagger was held firmly in her right palm.But the more she stare at him, the more helpless she became.If she didn't kill him, the president would surely punish her greatly and she so wanted to be free.If she killed him and went home, the president would let her go.She could come again to this place and enjoy gazing the stars.But somehow, her heart felt heavy knowing that if she killed him, and she did went there to live her whole life, he wouldn't be there to accompany her.Maybe she would even kill herself after a few days because of the guilt inside her.She then drew back the dagger that was already aimed to his heart and threw it away.The dagger disappeared in the big bush filled with thorns.She decided to keep him longer.No.If someone ever come to kill him, they would face her first.Who knew that 2 days could make her like this?Willing to sacrifice her life for another person.Jinri didn't see it coming, but the president did.