Dinner

Sixth Sense

  Gain sighed as she set the load of groceries on the table. It was a small load, even still it had to last them the week. She started to put away the few food items she was able to aquire and sighed again. There hadn't been enough food available for months. The government had promised to fix the problem, find someone willing to trade with them for what food was left after almost every country in the northern hemishere was struck with a disease that targeted plants, particularly farmed ones, rather than people. Needless to say the government wasn't having much luck. Korea was a small country compared to their neighbors, with fewer people they were less of a priority in the eyes of the higher ups. Now they were just having to get by on what has been stored up and hope a solution will be found soon. 
  "We're home," Jea called as she tugged her coat and shoes off, she was followed by Miryo and Narsha, their ither roommates. "How was shopping? Anything good?" 
  "The usual, though there was a sale on fruit cups that were about to expire, so we get to save some of the canned stuff for longer." Gain didn't mention that when she was at the store there were signs up announcing another ration on rice, so they ended up with half a cup less than usual. "How'd work go?" Gain was the only one currently without a job, so that combined with her being the youngest made her the housekeeper until she found one, even once she did she'd still be in charge of most of the houswork simply because she was good at it. 
  "Well enough," Miryo started. "Seulong came by, he said he hasn't seen you in a while. He was wondering when you were going to visit again." All three of them smiled when they saw her blush and try to hide her grin by opening the fridge to see what they could use to make dinner. Of course Suelong wasn't the reason for her blush, he was just a messenger. It just so happened that he lived with Gain's boyfriend JoKwon, and every now and then she would go over to their house to make dinner alongside Changmin who usually did the cooking, and she had to admit was a better cook than her. 
  "You know you're right," Gain said closing the fridge and moving towards the door, maybe I should go visit right now." 
  "No!" Gain stopped with her hand halfway to her coat and a smirk on her face. She made her face an innocent mask and turned around, "At least make us dinner first. I'm starving." Leave it up to Jea to only think about her stomach. 
  Gain sighed dramatically, "Well we wouldn't want you to starve to death." And with that she turned back around and continued to make dinner.
  After they had eaten their small dinner Miryo and Jea went to the living room, while Narsha helped Gain with the dishes. "So when are you and Kwon gonna get married?" Narsha had a habit of starting all of their conversations this way.
  "My day was great, and your's?" Gain ignored the question as always.
  "We all know its coming, he just needs to man up and ask the question already." Narsha still didnt know what strong willed, gorgeous Gain saw in the strange, girly man that was two years younger than her, but she'd come to accept that they were destined for eachother. Besides however strange she found his affinity for dancing girl group dances and making funny faces she knew he was a good guy and he'd take care of her youngest sister and she had to admit he was weirdly easy to like. 
  Gain just rolled her eyes and kept scrubbing the plate in her hand, but Narsha didn't miss the smile that hadn't left Gain's lips the whole time. 

   The next morning Gain turned the morning news on as she got the other three's lunches and breakfast ready. Everything was going the exact same way it usually did, then Gain heard somethimg that nearly made her drop the spatula she was using to fry eggs. Unable to believe what she had just heard she ran to the T.V. and turned up the volume. 
  "What's that smell?" Jea asked sleepily as she entered the kitchen expecting to find breakfast and instead finding eggs burning on the stove and Gain nowhere in sight. She quickly turned the burner off and went to find the rouge maknae. She found Gain sitting on the livingroom floor her eyes glued to the television. "What are you doing?" She asked only to be shushed and told to sit down. Jea did as she was told and decided it was best to just see what was up herself, so she too ended up in front of the T.V. with a shocked expression. 
  "Today the United Nations desegnated Nathan Johanson, a former member of British Parliament, as Prime Commander of what is now simply being reffered to as the World Government or just the WG. All of the leaders of the world's nations will now answer to him as part of the World Council. This system has been established in response to the recent food shortages and if things go as planned it will unite the nations of the world so that every food source will be used in the best way to bemefit the world as a whole and not just individual countries. As Prime Commander, Johanson will be given control of every country and its resources. We have great hopes for the success of the new WG and Prime Commander Johanson. This has been Jung Soomi with KSC news at 5, have a great day!" The station logo and tune came up, followed by an add for a new skincare product. 
  "Well, ." Was the only comment made as they sat there absorbing the fact that they had just become citizens of planet Earth and not just Korea, as well as suddenly gaining a world leader that for all intents and purposes seemed to be a dictator.
  "I doubt it'll last, people aren't going to just stand by and be told that they have a new government, and leader without ever having even voted on it or anything." Miryo stated from her position on the couch. She must have joined while they were absorbed in the newscast, along with Narsha who was standing behind her. 
  However that seemed to be exactly what happened. Life went on as usual, Gain stayed home and cooked and cleaned while the other three went to work every day. They kept waiting for someone to speak out against the new regime, to protest against what was going on, but no one seemed to. So they followed suit and just kept living. Getting their ever shrinking rations of food, going to work, and hoping there would be enough food to go around the next day. They kept on like this for five months, but during the fifth month something happened that disrupted their steady routine. 
  It was Sunday, their day off, JoKwon, Changmin, Seulong, and Jinwoon were over for dinner and they were all sitting in the livingroom watching a movie. It was the boys turn to pick so it ended up being a horror movie, they had picked it with the intention of scaring the girls and appearing manly, but only ended being scared and trying to hide behind the girls while the girls tried to hide behind them. Changmin was the only one unaffected and laughed the whole time. Right near the end of the movie at a particularly suspenseful part, just when the female lead let out a blood curdling scream, all eight occupants of the room jumped and screamed as a man covered in blood climbed in the window next to the T.V. and ran to the kitchen returning moments later weilding a butcher knife which only caused the whole room to scream again except for JoKwon who chose this moment to suddenly grow a pair grabbed the pot from the table that they had eaten ramen out of earlier, and slammed it across the intruder's head letting out a squeek himself, knocking the stranger unconcious.