i/i

friendsgiving (or something like it)

a/n: probably the most cliché thing ever
a/n: this is from a neighbors!au that has yet to be finished
a/n: this is also what happens when I’m stuck in line on black friday


 

 


It begins on the fourth Sunday in November, while Chanyeol is in the hallway, trying to stuff a large trash bag down the tiny garbage shoot.

The elevator doors pull away with a squeak and his new neighbor from across the hall steps out and makes Chanyeol’s heart flop around in his chest. She’s a little startled to find him just standing there, letting out a small gasp, and Chanyeol immediately feels terrible for sneaking up on her—regardless of the fact that he was there first.

“Hey,” he waves, his kindest smile on his face. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you. I was just taking out the trash,” and, as if to prove his point, he gestures toward the garbage shoot.

She flashes him a smile that makes the tips of his ears burn and knocks him back a step. “You don’t have to apologize,” she says with a shake of her head, eyes lingering on his for just a fraction of a second before she turns and heads down the hallway.

Not for the first time does Chanyeol notice how tall she is, nearly eye-level with him in her tall boots that accentuate her slender legs. She’s all dark eyes and unmarred skin, and the delicate features of her face gave her a kind of beauty that capture one’s attention at first glance. And, in Chanyeol’s case, all but blossomed the more he got to know her through their short conversations in the elevator or at the bus stop or while grabbing their mail.

Chanyeol’s learned that she’s just moved from the countryside after finishing university, and that she’s working as an assistant in some skyscraper in the heart of the city. She doesn’t love her job, but she found that she didn’t want to spend her life in a lab after completing her chemistry degree. So she’s taking some time to figure things out. He also learns that she has some friends from university here in the city, but no family, and, he thinks, no significant other.

All in all, he thinks he might be a little smitten.

Entranced by the swaying of her long ponytail, he snaps out of his daze when she stops at her door, digging for her keys in her large purse, a bag of takeout hanging off her arm. Chanyeol hurries after her, pausing at his own open door, where music and laughter filter into the hallway.

“Having a party?” she asks the obvious question while still fumbling around for her keys.

“Yeah,” Chanyeol rubs the back of his neck. “Just some friends over who aren’t going home for the holidays. We eat and drink, we make fun of each other, we sing songs,” he says with a grin. “And if we’re lucky, someone will cry.”

Having finally located her keys, she unlocks her door and turns to him, “Sounds like fun.”

“You should come.” The words slip out of Chanyeol’s mouth before he even knows what he’s saying and now she’s just staring up at him with her wide, blinking eyes. “I mean… if you want. If you don’t have other plans or—or whatever…”

“Do you want me to go?” she asks, a teasing smile on her face as she leans against her doorframe. “Because you look like you regret suggesting it.”

“No!” he blurts, eyes going wide, and she raises an eyebrow. Chanyeol can feel his ears burning and he forces himself to calm down before he makes an even bigger fool of himself than he already has. “I meant to say, yes, I would like you to come, and no, I don’t regret it.”

She bites her lip, considering. “You sure I’m not intruding?”

“I’m sure.” Then, almost as an afterthought, Chanyeol sends her his most charming grin—or what he considers his most charming grin—and maybe it is because in the next moment she’s ducking her head and saying she’s just going to stick her takeout in the fridge.

“Since you asked me so nicely, and whatever you have is surely better than this,” she tosses over her shoulder as she lifts her bag from what he thinks is the questionable takeout counter around the block.

“Are you saying you’re using me for food?” he asks when she returns and locks her door.

She grins up at him, a twinkle in her eye. “Of course, why else would I be going?”







Chanyeol leads her into his own apartment, where his friends are arguing over the music selection, drinking too much too soon, and picking at the food in the kitchen. He can feel her step closer to him, nearly hiding behind his body, and he finds it sweet how, mere seconds ago, she was so sassy and yet, now, she seems so shy. He sends her a reassuring grin over his shoulder.

“Hey everyone,” he announces, his voice loud and carrying. “This is Nana, my neighbor. She’s new to the city, so be nice.”

Nana peeks around him and shyly waves. “Hi. Thanks for letting me join tonight.”

It’s only then that Chanyeol notices that the room is suddenly quiet and still, all eyes on them—Jongdae and Luhan even stop arguing about the music—and he takes in the surprised look on his friends' faces. They blink from him to Nana and back again.

“Great,” Joonmyun finally pipes up from where he’s standing at the makeshift wet bar. “The more the merrier, I always say!”

“Yes, welcome,” Minseok smiles before standing and introducing himself. And just like that, the weird atmosphere is broken, and Jongdae and Luhan can be heard bickering once more over which DBSK album they should listen to next.

“Any friend of Chanyeol’s is a friend of ours. Come sit down.”

Kyungsoo then promptly shoves Sehun off the couch. “Oh look, a seat just opened up.”







“You never mentioned you had such a pretty neighbor, Yeol,” Baekhyun sing songs when he corners Chanyeol in the kitchen.

“Didn’t think you were that interested in the occupants of my apartment block, Baek,” Chanyeol shoots back.

“That’s true, I’m not,” Baekhyun agrees with a nod of his head, before a teasing grin slowly spreads across his cheeks.

“But I doubt you look at all your neighbors the way you look at Nana.”

Chanyeol gasps. “I don’t look at her any way!”

But Baekhyun only laughs, picks at the strawberries on the counter and plops one into his mouth. He chews slowly, his fingers before reaching out and wiping them on Chanyeol’s sleeve—much to the taller boy’s shock and disgust.

“You can’t hide things from me, Park Chanyeol, I’m your best friend,” Baekhyun says with a jab of his finger to Chanyeol’s chest. “And even if I wasn’t, there’s no way I could misunderstand those looks of utter adoration and longing you send Nana, oh, every two seconds.”

“I don’t,” Chanyeol denies. “It’s just that she’s new and doesn’t know anyone else here but me, and I just want to make sure she’s okay.”

“Really?”

“Yes, really.”

“So you’re not interested in her? Do you mind if I ask her out on a date then?”

Chanyeol balks. “You—you want to ask Nana out?”

“Yes, why not? She’s pretty and I’m handsome and I think we’d be cute together, height difference aside,” Baekhyun smiles. “You don’t mind, right? Since you’re not interested in her that way.”

Chanyeol frowns. It’s not that he has a claim to Nana or anything—he’s just her neighbor, they’re barely friends—but he feels uneasy thinking of Baek and Nana together, in that way.

But before he can answer, Baekhyun tips his head back and lets out a high peal of laughter. “You should see your face right now, Yeol,” he wheezes, clasping Chanyeol on the shoulder. “Don’t worry, I won’t ask her out. Also, you might want to do something about your ears, they are the color of tomatoes.”

Immediately, Chanyeol brings his hands up to cover his ears, turning away from his friend, who, right now, seems like an enemy.  “Relax, I don’t think she’s noticed your creeper stares, if it makes you feel any better,” Baekhyun offers in what may be an act of sympathy.

“Great. Thanks,” Chanyeol deadpans, feeling miserable. He thought Nana was beautiful, he’s known that all along, but he hadn’t thought that his attraction to her had morphed into actual interest.

“No problem, what are friends for, after all?” Baekhyun grins and nods his head before picking up another strawberry.
“And because I’m such an awesome friend, I’m going to let you know that you aren’t the only one sending creeper stares across the room. Apparently, it’s a hobby that you and your neighbor share…or maybe it has to do with the water they pump into the pipes in this place, I don’t know, but either way, I think you should do something about it.”

And with that Baekhyun takes his leave, Chanyeol staring after him more confused that ever.







Later, Chanyeol finds Nana by his music collection, her finger skimming over the titles while the other nurses white wine poured into a red plastic cup—courtesy of one Byun Baekhyun.

Chanyeol feels much better now, having been cornered by Sehun and Jongin and forced to drink three shots—for courage, hyung and you need to relax, hyung, and you need to show that pretty noona your charms, hyung, whatever they are.

“Hi!” he greets brightly, and he feels her jump next to him. “You know, you really scare easily.”

Nana blushes at that. “I didn’t hear you, is all,” she says. “You shouldn’t make it a habit to sneak up on people.”

“Hey, I don’t sneak up on people,” Chanyeol protests. “Maybe you should be more aware of your surroundings. I’m kind of hard to miss.”

She laughs, eyes once again twinkling. “Touché.”

“You know,” Chanyeol grins at her, relaxed and comfortable, “I think you’re the first person who has ever described me as quiet and unnoticeable. I don’t know if I should feel offended. Although the alternative is just as bad. People usually call me the loud giant with the big ears,” he pouts.

“But I like your ears,” Nana says fondly, reaching out to gently tug on one of his earlobes. “They’re cute.”

Chanyeol shivers when she brushes the shell of his ear with her finger, and he subconsciously steps closer to her. And maybe it’s the alcohol running in his veins, or his own foolish wishes, but he swears when Nana cranes her neck to meet his gaze, the look in her eyes dark and heavy and laden with something he thinks is desire. She gives one last soft caress, breath ghosting over his cheek, before her hand falls away.

“Cute,” she whispers before stepping back, and hope blooms in Chanyeol's chest.







They’re giggling on the couch, having long forgotten the reason for their smiles. It’s early morning, or late night, depending on how you look at it, and the party has wound down, most of Chanyeol’s friends having either left, or claimed spots on his bed or whatever surface they can find.

He’s sprawled on his couch, his long legs stretched out on his coffee table, and Nana is next to him, sitting so close their sides touch and burn. On Chanyeol’s other side, Yixing is passed out and snoring softly.

“Are you sure you don’t need help picking up?” she asks after they’ve both calmed down.

Chanyeol shakes his head. “That’s what these guys are for,” he smirks and pats Yixing’s leg, who just continues to sleep, dead to the world.

“This was fun,” Nana says softly from where her head is resting on Chanyeol’s shoulder. “Thank you for inviting me.”

“Did you have fun?” he asks, bending his neck to look at her. “I know that some of my friends—”

“Are great,” she finishes for him, lifting her head off his shoulder. And now they’re a breath apart from each other, so near that Chanyeol would barely have to move to bridge the gap between their lips, and it seems all he can think about his Nana’s lips, which are full and red and enticing and so, so close.

“This is my cue to leave,” Nana whispers and he feels every word, every breath, against his mouth. “Thank you again.”

Chanyeol looks on, helpless and not a little dazed, as Nana wobbles to her feet and makes her way to his front door. He pulls himself off of the comfort of his couch to see her off, although she laughs at him and says that it’s not needed.

Still, Chanyeol walks her the three steps from his door to hers. “I just want to spend a little more time with you,” he explains before he gasps. “I mean, I just want to make sure you get in okay,” he says, congratulating himself of covering his blunder up so well.

Nana looks up at him fondly. “You’re so cute.”

Chanyeol beams at the compliment, and shrugs his shoulders. “I can’t help it.”

She laughs, utterly charmed, before stepping close to him. “Goodnight, neighbor,” she says quietly before reaching up at kissing his cheek. Chanyeol nearly swoons at her proximity and the feeling of her body pressed against his, however brief, and he can’t help but grin like an idiot at the thought that Nana has actually kissed him.

“Huh?” he says, because Nana is telling him something.

She shakes her head, amused. “I said, coffee.”

“Coffee?”

“Yes. Or tea, or whatever you prefer,” Nana replies. “We should go get some.” Then, because Chanyeol still isn’t responding, she adds. “Together. Soon.”

That seems to click together in his head, because the next thing he blurts out is, “Are you asking me out on a date?”

Nana ducks her head, and he thinks it’s the cutest thing in the world how she flushes pink at his words. “If you want to call it that, then yes.”

“I do—want to call it that. Yes. Great. Uh, should I just um, come over or…?” And Chanyeol knows, that even if he’s not the smoothest with his words around girls he likes, knows that he’s butchering this horribly. He blames the shots Sehun and Jongin made him drink.

“How about tomorrow afternoon? I’ll knock on your door,” Nana says, eyebrow lifted. “Think you can remember that in the morning?”

“Yes, of course.” Chanyeol nods, reaching up to tug on his ears. “Not only do I have elephant ears, I have an elephant’s memory. I never forget!”

“Alright then, it’s a date,” Nana confirms with a smile before walking into her apartment. “Goodnight then, Mr. Elephant.”

“See you tomorrow, Nana.”


 

fin


 

a/n: i don't know what this is, sorry