Fin

Boston Creme

Chanyeol has always been oblivious. He’s smart, and he’s always willing to be the of a joke, but he doesn’t always see things that are right in front of his face. Chanyeol doesn’t mind not always getting things right away. He figures if he was meant to understand, he would have been born more observant.

 

xxx

 

Chanyeol stuffs the last of his donut in his mouth and groans, the crème off of his fingers. He takes a heavy seat in his office chair and grunts a little bit as it spins, a box with five more Boston Crème donuts in his lap. He swats Jongin’s hand away absent mindedly, leaning forward and turning on his computer monitor. Almost instantly he gets an email informing him that there’s a meeting – in ten minutes.

Chanyeol whines softly, pushing himself back up out of his seat. Chanyeol’s body has always been big, but it’s never felt this heavy. He knows he hasn’t been eating the best lately, but his stomach is starting to get pudgy and his energy is at an all-time low. It’s starting to really take its toll on Chanyeol’s mental health, and he hugs his donuts closer, his only source of comfort coming from the sweet crème filling.

Chanyeol sits in another oversized office chair in the meeting room, setting his donuts down in front of him and grabbing Baekhyun’s hand roughly when he reaches for them. Baekhyun, who is used to Chanyeol letting everyone walk all over him, looks utterly shocked. He’s Chanyeol’s best friend, and maybe he’s taken advantage of Chanyeol’s willingness to give, but he doesn’t understand exactly what he’s done wrong this time. Chanyeol’s always been the type to bring donuts to share, and he knows Boston Crème is Baekhyun’s favorite.

“Chan?” Baekhyun asks softly.

Chanyeol’s fingers are digging in pretty hard. Baekhyun’s a little worried he’ll have bruises later. Chanyeol slowly releases Baekhyun’s wrist, realizing how tight he’s been holding on. His eyes water a little bit, and he slumps down a little in his seat. He looks a little bit like a scolded puppy.

“Sorry.” Chanyeol whispers. Baekhyun pulls his hand back into his own lap, rubbing his wrist with a pout.

“Jeez, remind me to tell YiFan to feed you more.” Baekhyun mutters, then leans forward a bit to look at Chanyeol’s barely obvious gut. He doesn’t think he’d be able to see it if Chanyeol’s shirt wasn’t tucked in. “Or less. Maybe your sugar addiction is finally taking its toll on you.”

Chanyeol’s eyes widen, and he shrinks a little more into himself, his hands covering his stomach. Baekhyun doesn’t understand why Chanyeol’s so upset – Chanyeol doesn’t understand why Chanyeol’s so upset, frankly – and there’s an awkward silence hanging in the air when YiFan walks in, taking a seat beside Chanyeol. He notices right away and reaches over, rubbing Chanyeol’s back uncertainly. Chanyeol’s been acting strange for a few weeks now, and YiFan’s trying to wait for Chanyeol to tell him what’s wrong all on his own.

Chanyeol works in the marketing department with Baekhyun, but YiFan works in finance. Since YiFan and Chanyeol work in different departments they’re not breaking any company rules by being together, but their departments work together a lot, so they don’t have to miss each other at work, and they’ve been able to cleverly disguise a few rendezvous’ as meetings. This meeting is primarily about how much funding the marketing department needs to bring in more income.

“Sorry.” Baekhyun says again, and Chanyeol pulls the box of donuts back into his lap.

“Don’t worry about it.” Chanyeol whispers, opening the box and pulling a donut out. He hands it to Baekhyun and then takes one for himself, but it doesn’t taste as sweet.

 

xxx

 

Chanyeol throws up at work a week later, and Baekhyun runs to get YiFan, knowing they rode in together this morning. YiFan checks in with the boss before taking Chanyeol home. Chanyeol insists he’s fine, it’s just the smell of whatever the hell their new hire, Henry, was heating up for lunch that made him sick. YiFan tells him to just enjoy the day off anyway.

Chanyeol lays back over YiFan’s lap, looking kind of put out. Chanyeol doesn’t usually like skipping work, and there’s a lot to be done this week. They’re about to launch a new campaign, and Chanyeol really needs to be there to make sure Baekhyun doesn’t make everything purple. YiFan tells him he’s worrying too much and tries to calm him down, but Chanyeol starts sniffling and rolls over, his slightly protruding gut pressing into YiFan’s thigh. YiFan frowns.

“Chan. What’s going on?” YiFan asks, and Chanyeol sniffs, cuddling close.

“I think I have a thyroid condition.”  Chanyeol says. “I looked it up, and I think I’m going to get really fat and sleepy and die.”

“A thyroid condition?” YiFan echoes, sitting up a little straighter.

“Because I keep wanting donuts. And I’m gaining weight. And when I don’t eat I have headaches and I get grumpy and…” Chanyeol is honestly crying at this point, and YiFan looks vaguely panicked.

“Chan. How long has this been going on?” YiFan asks, and Chanyeol sits up slowly. He’s kind of surprised YiFan’s taking him seriously, because Baekhyun had rolled his eyes. “Is that why you’ve been so upset?”

“No…I only looked it up yesterday. But moodiness is another symptom and-” Chanyeol sobs quietly. YiFan scoops Chanyeol into his lap, petting his hair gently. “I’m scared.”

“Shh, shh, it’s okay, Chan.” YIFan says quietly. “I’ll call the doctor, okay? We’ll get you an appointment and we’ll go find out what’s going on.”

“Are you going to leave me?” Chanyeol asks quietly, and YiFan shakes his head right away.

“No. Never.” YiFan assures him.

They spend the rest of the day wrapped up in each other, kissing softly and cuddling. When YiFan calls the doctor, he also texts their boss to let him know they’ll be out of work the next day. It’s the soonest they can get Chanyeol in, and YiFan really wants to get a handle on things before Chanyeol loses his mind.

 

xxx

 

That night YiFan gets Chanyeol whatever he wants for dinner and then hugs him tight through the night, watching silly movies and trying to convince him he’s going to be okay. Chanyeol isn’t usually very stubborn, but he’s scared, and YiFan doesn’t know how to take that fear from him. If YiFan’s being honest, he’s afraid too.

 

xxx

 

Chanyeol’s expression is very serious, and very afraid as he explains his symptoms to the doctor the next morning. The doctor, for his part, looks less and less bored as Chanyeol keeps going. He’s seen Chanyeol for all kinds of bumps and bruises, but never something serious enough to be considered acondition, but what Chanyeol is describing sounds like something worth looking into. Chanyeol is just grateful the doctor is taking him seriously.

It takes a few hours and several vials of blood that make Chanyeol squeamish before they’re allowed to leave. They don’t have any answers, but the doctor assures him it’ll take at least a few days to get the results from his tests, so Chanyeol leaves with a heavy heart and a craving for donuts. YiFan is tempted to tell him he shouldn’t be eating them, with everything going on, but YiFan’s always been a er for Chanyeol’s puppy eyes. YiFan’s never really been able to say no to him even when he doesn’t pout.

“Maybe not six today, though?” YiFan says softly. Chanyeol swallows that sentence like it’s a particularly nasty dose of cough syrup and turns to look out the window.

“Because I’ll get fat. And ugly. And you won’t want me anymore.” Chanyeol says. “It’s going to happen anyway, so you should just let me have the damn donuts.”

YiFan groans, reaching for Chanyeol’s hand because he can see that it’s shaking, but Chanyeol ignores him. YiFan watches as a tear slides down Chanyeol’s cheek, and YiFan almost wishes he was one of those boyfriends who snapped back and went on a half-angry tirade about loving their partner no matter what, but he’s not.

“Then I’ll get a dozen.” YiFan whispers. “And we can be fat and ugly together.”

Chanyeol looks genuinely startled by that, but he finally looks at YiFan. YiFan’s expression is serious, as serious as the time he’d told Chanyeol he didn’t care if his tattoos looked bad when he was old, and Chanyeol’s lip trembles more as he nods. That…that sounds okay to him. At least if they’re both fat and ugly, they’ll be that way together.

“I love you.” Chanyeol whispers. YiFan smiles softly.

“I love you, too.” YiFan whispers, then orders a dozen donuts in the drive through before bringing Chanyeol home.

YiFan feels sick by the second donut, but Chanyeol is still eating and YiFan refuses to let him go through this…whatever it is…alone.

 

xxx

 

YiFan and Chanyeol go to work the next day and Chanyeol dramatically informs Baekhyun that he might be dying. Henry, who is new to Korea and the Korean language, misunderstands, and by lunch there are rumors flying that Chanyeol has cancer and will be dead by Christmas. Junmyeon tries to squash the rumors, but Jongdae is eagerly egging them on, taking bets on how long Chanyeol will live because he doesn’t believe for a second there’s a thing wrong with the giant aside from his own overactive imagination.

Jongin, Sehun, and the weird Chinese intern ZiTao, all come to YiFan in tears and tell him how sorry they are. YiFan groans loudly and drops his head on the desk, then sits up and tells them they don’t know what’s wrong yet, and it could very well be nothing. ZiTao looks at YiFan with sympathy in his eyes and pats his shoulder.

“I know losing a loved one is hard.” ZiTao says quietly. “My dog died last year and I still think of her often.”

“Go. Away.” YiFan snarls, and the three run away quickly.

YiFan goes to find Chanyeol to sort out the mess, but Chanyeol is surrounded by people offering him all kinds of help and advice. Chanyeol’s eyes catch YiFan’s from across the sea of people and beg for a rescue, and YiFan hurriedly shoos them away, too.

YiFan eventually talks to their boss about bringing Chanyeol into his own office to finish his work, since he’s not getting anything done with all the vultures hovering around him anyway. Old man Soo Man sighs and nods his consent, and Chanyeol holes himself up in YiFan’s office to finish up the ad campaign. He only ventures out to run things by Baekhyun, then hurries back and tries to focus on his work.

YiFan periodically rubs his back, just like when they’re at home, and Chanyeol is grateful for the soft touch because he’s really stressing himself out about this project – in order to avoid stressing about other things.

 

xxx

 

Chanyeol gets called into Soo Man’s office on Monday, and he expects to be yelled at for not getting his work done properly or for being such a distraction to the other workers. It’s not like Chanyeol hasn’t been in trouble for these things before, and so he steps into the office with a ball of anxiety in his gut. Soo Man tells him to sit.

Chanyeol takes a seat in a stiff leather chair and tries his best not to pick at his pants. He hasn’t been feeling too good today, and he’d thrown up this morning before work – not that YiFan knows that particular tidbit. After missing two days last week, Chanyeol doesn’t want to rock the boat any further. He can’t meet Soo Man’s eyes.

“I wanted to let you know your new marketing campaign was a big hit at the meeting.” Soo Man tells him. Chanyeol looks up sharply, not expecting this at all. “This one was your design entirely, wasn’t it?”

“Well, Baekhyun approved it all. But I kind of took over.” Chanyeol admits. Soo Man nods.

“The thing is, with you being sick like you’ve been, we expected something of much…lower quality. So, to say the least, we were all very impressed Chanyeol.” Soo Man explains.

“Sir?” Chanyeol echoes, and he sees a smile cross his boss’ face. It’s a little scary.

“If this illness becomes a hindrance for you, in that you won’t be able to work, the board and I have agreed that we will offer you an at-home position. The pay is a little less at first, but you can work back up to your regular pay scale within a year. It’s better than losing you entirely.” Soo Man explains. “And, as long as you continue to produce quality work, we’ll be happy to hold your in-office position until your health improves.”

 

xxx

 

Chanyeol curls into YiFan’s side that night, tears in his eyes as he explains to YiFan everything he’d been told this morning. YiFan listens carefully and nods, petting his hair gently.

“It’s good. It means he considers you a real asset to the company.” YiFan says, but Chanyeol shakes his head.

“No. It means he thinks there’s something wrong with me.” Chanyeol whispers. YiFan sighs and pulls Chanyeol closer, and they sleep tangled together on the couch until it’s time for dinner.

 

xxx

 

By Wednesday Chanyeol isn’t just anxious, he’s depressed.

“If they haven’t called with the results yet, it means something’s wrong.” Chanyeol insists as he stuffs another donut down his throat. YiFan can’t keep up, so he settles for eating fried chicken instead. Boston crème has never been his favorite, but Chanyeol’s been eating them like he’ll die without them. “I’m dying. We should call my mom.”

“We’re not calling your mom.” YiFan says adamantly. “She’ll make you cry and ask when we’re coming for dinner. Or worse, when she’s invited over. Let’s just wait it out. Maybe they’re not calling because there is no bad news, and you’re fine.”

“YiFan, stuff like that only happens in movies. I’m dying.” Chanyeol insists, and YiFan sighs heavily.

“If you’re dying then I’ll die too.” YiFan says.

 

xxx

 

Chanyeol is in the shower early Friday morning when the phone rings. YiFan answers and reminds the nurse that Chanyeol’s already signed a confidentiality waiver, and she can tell him whatever it is.

By the time Chanyeol gets out of the shower, YiFan is crying.

Chanyeol runs to the bed, sitting beside him and shaking his arm, fear coursing through him because YiFan never cries. He gets upset, and he makes a lot of sad faces during movies, but he doesn’t really cry.

“What’s wrong?” Chanyeol asks. YiFan sniffs, setting the phone down.

“The doctor’s office called.” YiFan says, his voice shaky. “You were right. You have a condition.”

“Oh…oh god, what is it?” Chanyeol asks, his eyes watering. “Am I dying?”

“No.” YiFan says softly. “It’ll correct itself on its own in about eight months.”

“Eight…months? Do I need medication? More doctor’s visits?” Chanyeol asks, not understanding why YiFan won’t just tell him what it is.

“Both. And more.” YiFan says. Chanyeol notices the little smile on his lips as he wipes his eyes. “Channie…we’re pregnant.”

 

xxx

 

Chanyeol makes his way into work with a box of donuts and a shirt that says ‘Does this baby bump make me look fat?’ Baekhyun rolls his eyes as Jongdae swears, paying out the pool to Soo Man on a coffee break.

 

End.