Planting Weed and Plotting Evily

Puffling Huffs
 

Sulli

    Despite a general air of obliviousness and nonchalance, Sulli had always had a keen knack for arriving exactly on time. Though Sulli had been running a little behind as a result of waking up slightly behind schedule, she made up for it with long strides and her penchant for weaving through crowds, arriving at the doorway to the Herbology Classroom just as a class of fourth-year Gryffindors filed out.

“Miss Choi!” Professor Sprout called, spotting Sulli in the doorway. “Wonderful, you’re here! Would you mind taking a look at the mandrakes, and while you’re at it make sure the bubotuber in the corner is doing alright.”

    “Yes, Professor Sprout!” Sulli called back, walking to a concealed cabinet near the back and pulling out her smock and gloves. Yanking them on, along with her safety goggles, Sulli strode confidently over to the mandrakes and picked up the notes she’d been working on a few days prior, reviewing her work and checking their progress.

Much as it surprised some people, Sulli enjoyed spending time in the Herbology classroom. Professor Sprout had noticed in Sulli’s second year that the young woman had a keen knack for magical plants and a way of soothing the more temperamental among them. Since then, Sulli had made it a point to stop by several times during the week and help in any way she could. It was a lovely break from all the chaos that existed in the rest of her day, as her friends rarely bothered her there.

Or so she thought.

“Professor Sprout?” Sulli’s head snapped up and she saw Amber hovering uncomfortably in the doorway.

“Can I help you, Ms. Liu?” Professor Sprout asked, smiling warmly as she set her work aside.

“Professor Song wishes to have a word with you. Something about a fungus in her classroom?”

“Is that blasted thing back again?” Professor Sprout huffed, yanking her gloves off. “When I find the student responsible…”

“Professor Song had similar sentiments,” Amber replied sympathetically as Professor Sprout moved towards the door.

“Ms. Choi! Keep working and I’ll be back in a moment.”

“Yes, Professor,” Sulli said, as Professor Sprout booked a hasty exit. Amber, however, remained where she was.

“Can I help you?” Sulli asked suspiciously.

“Nah,” Amber shrugged. “Just haven’t seen you in awhile, though now I realize it’s because you’ve been nerding out in the Herbology department.”

“Herbs fo lyfe,” Sulli replied.

“Weirdo,” Amber laughed.

“What’s new?” Sulli said, turning back to her mandrakes.

“Oh...the usual.”

“Tormenting first years? Murdering puppies? Planting weed out in the Forbidden Forest?”

“What?” Amber barked.

“Basically what I’m communicating is that I have no idea what ‘the usual’ entails and you may need to elaborate.”

Amber rolled her eyes. “Studying...dancing with Taemin...whatever…”

Sulli nodded, and slowly put down her clipboard. Taking a deep breath, she suddenly smiled and widened her eyes. “Actually,” Sulli said, tone a little too chipper, “there is something I’ve been wanting to ask your opinion on.”

“Sure, shoot.”

“Well, I like a guy...and I’m thinking about making the first move.”

Amber rolled her eyes again. Sulli would be offended but honestly, she had no grounds. “What’s the issue?” Amber asked, tone mocking. “Just ask him out. What’s the big deal?”

“Well it’s kind of awkward,” Sulli said, moving towards Amber and pushing her goggles to the top of her head. “He’s….kind of a friend.”

“A y friend?” Amber leered.

Sulli couldn’t help but laugh a little at that. “No! Well...maybe? Later? I don’t know, I’m so confused!” She heaved another dramatic sigh, plopping into a nearby desk chair.

“Well….who is it?” Amber asked.

Sulli scanned the room quickly, then turned back to Amber. “Promise you won’t tell anyone?”

“Yes. Sworn to secrecy. Blood oath. Whatever. Just tell me.”

Sulli took a deep breath, widened her eyes even further, and said, “It’s…..Key.”

Amber’s expression shifted from mildly curious to carefully blank. Coughing a little, she said, “Oh...um...Key? Wow. I just...yeah. Key.”

Sulli huffed. “You think he’s too good for me?”

“No! Not what I meant, at all,” Amber rushed out, waving her hands and looking panicked. “Just...I’m surprised! That’s all.”

“I don’t know why you’re surprised,” Sulli pouted.

“Because there’s only a finite number of guys who go here?”

“No! Because Key is nice and handsome and he likes me, so why wouldn’t I just go for it?”

Amber paused at that. “He likes you? How do you know?”

“Well,” Sulli said thoughtfully, “we have been spending a lot of time together and we just...really get along, you know? I don’t know where all this free time has come from, honestly, I never used to see him, but these days it’s like he’s just...freer, you know?”

“Freer,” Amber repeated hoarsely.

“Yeah! And he’s so attentive and lovely. You know, just last week he told me that he’d give me a free haircut! If I wanted.”

“How nice of him,” Amber muttered through gritted teeth.

“Anyway, what do you think? Should I go for it?” Sulli asked, tone hopeful.

Amber stared. And stared. And stared longer. Then, without so much as a word, she pivoted on her heel and walked away.

“Nice seeing you too,” Sulli called sarcastically, pulling her goggles back down.

Seconds later, a new voice echoed through the classroom. “Did it work?”

Sulli laughed, pulling her goggles up again to see Krystal hovering over her workstation, prodding at one of her plants. “Like a ing charm,” Sulli laughed.

“Good. Phase one complete.” Krystal spoke with the efficiency and clinical disinterest of an evil overlord. Sulli loved the out of her.

“Honestly, I have no idea why Amber would even believe that horse, I haven’t seen Key in like a week and a half. I thought he was dead. Does he even still go here?”

“Apparently,” Krystal laughed. “I’ll let you know if I need anything else. Enjoy your plants.”

“Yaaaaasssss,” Sulli drawled by way of reply.

People really needed to start giving her more credit.