Ch. 1

Watch Over Me

"Tao. we need to leave!"

Zhoumi stood at the bottom of the stairs waiting for his four year old son. Zitao had insisteed that he could dress himself because 'Big boys can dress themselves!' Zhoumi had chuckled at this. He knew his son only wanted to impress the kids at his new school. Tao was starting kindergarten today and Zhoumi knew that the child was a bit nervous.

"Tao you don't want to be late do you?" The older male asked as he ascended the stairs. As he got closer to his son's room he started to hear sniffles and couldn't help but let a smile come to his face as he watched Tao struggle with the small tie that he was required to wear with his uniform. "Want some help?"

"N-no. I can do it Papa" Tao responded as he sniffled once more. The boy refused to look at his father as he once again tried to tie his tie into a bow.

Zhoumi watched for a minute before walking over to Tao and fixing the tie for him. "It's okay to ask for help if you need it Zitao."

"But big boys don't need help" Tao pouted.

The older male hummed in acknowledgement. "Do you want to hear a secret Tao?" Once he received a small nod in responsehe continued, "Sometimes big boys need help too. Papa needs help when he's at work."

"Really?"

"Really. So don't be afriad to ask for help okay? Plus you can make friends that way" Zhoumi smiled as heruffled his son's hair, causing the child to squeal and playfully swat his hands away. After that Zitao allowed his father to finish helping him with the tie. Once that was done, the older male helped Tao gather everything he needed for his first day. Finally, they were on their way with Tao still a bit nervous, but not letting that stop him from singing to his favorite song loudly, and Zhoumi smiling as he watched his son through the rearview mirror. Neither knew what their future would hold at this new school, but they did know one thing. They had each other.

~x~

"It'll be alright Zitao. I'm sure you'll make lots of friends. This place looks nice and I'm sure the teachers are friendly so let's go inside okay?" Currently, Zhoumi was trying to coax his son to go into the school building. Tao was tightly holding onto his father's hand and refusing to let go of it. He also refused to move any closer to the building so at the moment they were standing off to the side of the main walkway. Zhoumi crouched down to be eye level with Tao. "Zitao, what's wrong?"

Zitao looked down at his shoes with a frown on his face. "I don't want you to leave. Can't you stay with me Papa?" There was a hint of sadness in his voice as he spoke. He didn't want his dad to leave alone in a place full of strange people. Tao thought his dad was allowed to come to school with him so the thought of the older male leaving him scared him.

Zhoumi smiled and squeezed his child's hand reassuringly. "I'm sorry Tao, I have to go to work so I can't stay with you all day. However,I can walk you to your class and stay until you make a friend. Is that okay?"

"Promise?"

"I promise," Zhoumi stood and stretched his body out a bit, "now come on, let's go inside." As the two made their way to the school building, Tao tried to stay hidden behind his father's legs. The older didn't mind, knowing that his son would make a friend in no time and leave his side in a heartbeat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry this isn't that long but something was telling me not to force anymore into this chapter even though I wanted to make it much longer.

On a different note I wanted to post this chapter muuuuuch earlier but for some reason fate didn't want me to. I tried typing it on my phone and it wasn't cooperating, the first attempt on my computer failed because my internet decided to not work, and with my second attempt I finished typing everything on here and once I was finally abouot to post the chapter......my internet dies. I was so angry. Anyway, I guess third time's the charm!