When You Were Away

When You Were. . .

She feels uneasy when he is not around. She feels uneasy for being all by herself. For everything that is suddenly being all different.

Suddenly the bed felt too big for her.

She usually wakes up before the sun rises, looks over her side, and watches him sleeping peacefully. Sometimes she plays with the strands of his hair. Sometimes she watches his eyelashes. His nose. His lips. She watches his lips, waits for them to curve into a smile, for knowing that they had been watched over. She waits for him to wake up. But that day he was not there, and the bed felt too big for her.

His favorite monochromes were not there.

She usually comes to their bedroom, and his favorite shirts would scattered around the bed. All are in the shades of white to black. He would ask her which one he should wear for today, while for her everything looks the same. He would insist that she should pick one for him. He would be all cute and needy so that she would pick one for him, and she does. But that day the bed was so tidy, and his favorite monochromes were not there.

She did not cook two omelets. She did not make two cups of tea.

She usually makes two bowls of omelets dough, a plain one and a spicy one. She does not like spicy food. There was one day she tried to eat his omelet, and tears flowed down her cheeks. He never let her eat his omelet anymore. He likes sweet tea, with two cubes of sugar. The first day they were being together, he mistook her tea for his, and he was shocked because it was too plain for him. She does not like a too sweet tea, she use a cube of sugar. Since that day, they have cups with their names. But that day she sat on the dining table alone, with one omelet on the plate and a cup of tea, the one with his name.

She talked to herself.

She loves to tell stories, about everything. He loves to tell stories too, but he loves to listen to her more. She would get upset sometimes when he does not respond, so he gives some responds. But mostly he listens to her excitement. That day she was about to tell how her day went, but she forgot, she talked to herself.

The spicy chicken left uneaten.

Every Sundays they watch their favorite series, Sherlock Holmes. They usually order some chickens and snacks. They order the seasoned chicken and the spicy one. There was one day he tried to feed her the spicy one, but she refused. She said the spiciness would kill her papillae and she could not taste the food. He nodded to her statement, but he said there is no joy in eating non spicy food. They argued along the Sherlock Holmes time. That day, she ordered some chickens, and the spicy one left uneaten.

She sprayed his perfume around.

He usually sprays some of his perfume in their room, as if he is marking his territory. He said it gives him a fresh feeling. He loves to spray it before their bed time. She gets used to it, sleeping with his scent lingering in air. After he sprays the perfume, he would take a book and read it. Sometimes he would tell her if there is an interesting story going on the chapter he reads, or if there is any character that resembles her. That day, she took his perfume from the drawer. She sprayed his perfume herself. And she read his book.

She woke up and looked at the calendar, counting the time when he would come home. And then her phone rang. It was him.

“I will come home tomorrow. Do you want me to bring something for you?” He asked. She smiled. She knew he was smiling too.

He himself is enough for her. He is always more than enough.