One Great Step

Our Symphony: Once in a Concert Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

13 November 2015

 

"It's tonight! I'm so damn excited Ri! Save meeeee?". I screamed to my best friend, Yuri, who was also looking at me like she did not know me at all. Yes, I am embarrassing. But can I help it? Infinite's concert is tonight! I have been waiting for this concert for months since I bought the ticket the moment it went on sale. And it is finally happening tonight. I glanced at my wallpaper on my phone dreamily and thought about how I would be able to see him in real life today after waiting for that chance for years. That guy...... is the leader of Infinite, Kim Sunggyu.

 

Sunggyu is cute, with chubby cheeks and he has an amazing voice. In addition to that, he is hilarious as well, constantly appearing on variety shows and getting praised for his witty sense of humour. All these are just three reasons as to why I adore him so much. I can list much more if I wanted too, but I am sure you get the drift. His entire presence itself radiates perfection, even as a still picture on my wallpaper. So how much more "perfect" would he be in real life? And that is why I am just so anxious to see him tonight! I even saved up just to buy the VIP ticket which means I would be entitled to a hi-touch and photo with him.

 

But...... there is something called "school" before I can get to that perfection. I hope that today can pass quickly so that seeing him will quickly come. Then, straight after school, I would rush home to change before going there to get freebies and just enjoy the atmosphere, and then I can see him. I just have to get through today.

 

Just then, the bell rang, and all of us returned to class to continue with the second half of school. Yuri looked at my fangirling mess and threw me dirty looks, claiming that I have neglected her for Sunggyu, to which I, of course endlessly denied. We soon arrived at the next class, only to figure that we were almost late. Immediately after we entered, my math lecturer walked in as the class hushed down and began lessons. Pushing the concert to the side of my mind for a while, I took out a pen and concentrated on the equation that was being presented on the board.

 

--time lapse--

 

"That's it for today, guys. Remember to complete the essay! I want all of them in my email on Monday." my English lecturer assigned as all of us stood up to greet her. I made it to the last class of today! Finally! Grabbing my school bag out of my seat, I pulled Yuri along with me as I sped to the school gate. 

 

"Let go! I can walk by myself you know." Yuri deadpanned.

 

"Well I'm sorry, I'm JUST. SO. EXCITED!" I exclaimed as Yuri immediately clamped her hand over my mouth in a bid to avert the eyes that were staring at me because I screamed.

 

Both of us had some light bickering as usual as we walked home together. We are actually neighbours, and that is how we grew closer over time to become inseparable best friends. I am actually going to the concert with her, albeit Yuri not looking too excited about it. Well, my mother had actually only allowed me to go if Yuri went with me for "protection". Yes, that is how close we are, and it is to the point that our mothers trust each other to look after each other at such messy places like concerts.

 

"Ri! I'll meet you on the sidewalk in ten?" I asked her. 

 

"Ten minutes? Come on, you know I will never be able to make it! Make it twenty." She told me.

 

"Fine......remember to bring your lightstick and cash for merch!" I reminded endlessly. Well, I would not want to come back to take something if either of us forgets, right?

 

"Yes, Mother......you're so naggy, gosh! Now go pack your things, you know you're just as forgetful as me, please." Yuri retorted back.

 

I stuck my tongue out at her and went into my house. Stepping out of my shoes hastily, I sped up the steps and flung my school bag on the bed.

Thinking of what would look good to a concert, I swiftly opened my cupboard and decided to pick out a crop top and shorts. In one swift motion, the clothes were off the hanger and way on their way to the bathroom in my hand. I hurriedly slapped some simple makeup on my face, grabbed my lightstick, and rushed downstairs to change into sneakers. Doing one last check, I realized that I did not bring my wallet in the rush. Sighing, my legs carried themselves up the stairs as fast as they could and my hands d around in my bag frantically. After a few seconds, I grasped a familiar shape and pulled it out. My wallet! Throwing the wallet in my tote bag, I ran down the stairs, put my shoes on and dashed outside to meet Yuri, who "tsked" me.

 

"My dear, you're five minutes late!" Yuri chided me, "Whatever happened to that excitement to be there as early as possible?"

 

I giggled sheepishly at her and apologised profusely.

 

"Really super sorry, Ri! I really am!” I pleaded with her, even turning on my puppy eyes.

 

“Do not make those puppy eyes at me. Dude. Stop! I forgive you! I forgive you!” Yuri shouted at me, with a disgusted face after she saw my wonderful puppy eyes.

 

Nevertheless, because I was late, I had to let her choose where we would eat for our early dinner. She chose a Japanese restaurant that was near the concert place. As I entered the restaurant, I immediately chose a katsudon (fried cutlet) and had to wait for Grandma Yuri to make hers. After fifteen minutes of impatient finger tapping, she finally chose a sashimi donburi. Two of us made our way through our food with ease as we were both starving. In just a mere thirty minutes, we were done. Both of us paid and started walking to the concert venue.

 

Naturally, both of us struck up a conversation about Infinite. The two of us started bickering about whether Sungyeol or Daeyeol was more handsome. 

 

“Dude, both of them are handsome, but I’m saying that Daeyeol looks a teeny-tiny bit better,” I told Yuri.

 

“Well I agree that they are both pleasant looking, but it’s Sungyeol who is more handsome, not that the difference is very big.” Yuri retorted.

 

We continued to playfully bicker about that for five minutes, before arriving at the conclusion that both of them were equally handsome. After that, we talked about some other random things, like the teachers we hated, the boys(and girls) we found cute and finally we reached the concert venue. 

 

After wandering amongst the crowd, for about ten minutes, we finally found the merchandise booth. Hurriedly joining the queue, the staff that passed up a slip of paper to order what we wanted. Glancing down at the paper, I figured that I should get everything because this concert was definitely a once in a lifetime thing. My fingers got to work quickly and I managed to tick the last thing right before my turn. The sales lady took my order slip and as soon as she saw what I had wanted, she raised an eyebrow before stopping in front of each box to grab what I wanted. 

 

“The total would be $216.17, Miss.” The lady at the cashier smiled and said. I fished out my wallet and paid for my items. After that, I waited for Yuri to be done with her merchandise buying before we decided to wander around the venue to take a look at some of the fansite items. We wandered around the venue for about 2 hours before the doors finally opened. As we had bought sitting VIP seats, there was not a need to rush into the mosh pit. 

 

Both of us made a trip to the washroom before the concerted started and entered the concert venue. As we entered, the gigantic setup of the stage with the words “ INFINITE EFFECT” amazed and impressed. I gasped along with Yuri and we dazedly made our way to our seat, trying not to trip over any steps while stealing glances at the stages. Next, to the stages, there were two screens which continually displayed Infinite’s music video, with the arduous Inspirits chanting along energetically. As soon as we found our seat, I finally had time to look at the venue in its full view. The stage was beautiful. It was decorated with bright lights all over and even had a prop made into their group’s sign.

 

Next, I glanced at the various music videos and started chanting along with the other fans as we sang through each music video, one by one. At first, Yuri looked at me as if I was crazy, but after a while, she gave into the temptation and started singing along with me.

 

As the music video for “The Chaser” came on, I slightly glanced my watch and saw that it was 7:29 pm, one minute away from the concert. My audible heartbeat was a sign of excitement mixed with nervousness. 

 

Finally, 7:30 pm hit and right on time, the music video screens went out and the spotlight shone on a white cloth hanging in the background. And at once, the silhouette of the seven members was cast onto the white cloth. The crowd became ecstatic and the screams reached another level of “loud”. Yuri and I screamed along with them when the white cloth dropped in one swift motion, revealing the seven members, standing there, not just a still picture on our phones and computer screens, but as actual human beings.

 

They started out the concert with Before the Dawn, from their album, BTD. This was the song that brought Infinite to greater heights after the legendary “scorpion dance” that was never seen before in Kpop choreography. I sang along enthusiastically and could hardly keep still in my seat. I simply could not believe that this was real, and Infinite was real too, before my eyes. Yuri, too was there, her eyes laced with ecstasy. Soon after that, they performed two other songs before introducing themselves.

 

“Hello, we are Infinite!” they greeted, and was immediately followed with t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter