Chapter 2

No Time for Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a/n at the end

summary: Jimin's POV of ch. 1 and how Jimin and Yoongi meet six years ago.

The skyline is burning orange and pink when Yoongi hears the soft click of the office door. He turns from where he's standing and meets Jimin's crinkled eye smile, the rest of his face covered by an armful of folders packed with papers. His stomach churns when he realizes that what he's about to say will most likely wipe Jimin's smile right off his face.

 

"More stuff to sign," Jimin says, setting the papers down on Yoongi's desk and dusting off his hands before placing them on his hips. He studies Yoongi's face intently before frowning disapprovingly when he notices the bags under his eyes.

 

"You know, maybe I should learn your signature so I can help out with signing all this stuff; you look like you could use some sleep." Jimin looks at him thoroughly, eyes genuinely concerned, and Yoongi has to bite his tongue to keep from telling him that Jimin did way more than enough already, and that signing proposals was definitely not what had been keeping him up these past few weeks. Ever since Namjoon had told him the whole "America Plan," he'd been worrying his head, trying to figure out how he was going to tell Jimin. In fact, this morning, Namjoon had stared at him quizzically and asked why he hadn't broken the news to even his personal secretary yet, and Yoongi hadn't been able to come up with a good enough excuse. Namjoon had seen right through his "I just wanted to think about it a little more before making it sound so final" and had told him that there was no going around it, that he should just tell Jimin straight up and to stop being ridiculous. "Tell him today. This is for business,” he had said, and Yoongi had sighed his acknowledgement. Sensing his apprehension, Namjoon had added more gently, "Jimin can hold his own, Yoongi. You worry too much."

 

And Yoongi had agreed, though silently, because he had brushed past Namjoon into a closing elevator, unconsciously trying to escape the truth and impending responsibility.’I can’t help it,’ he thought, frowning at his nervous reflection in the shiny elevator wall. He cared about Jimin - as much as he cared about his brothers and his friends and maybe even a little more. Everytime he felt Jimin's eyes linger on him when he thought he wasn't looking, all the unsaid words, god, he could tell how hard Jimin tried to keep things normal between them, tried not to let his feelings interfere with their working relationship. They had talked about it before, and he knew that Jimin more or less accepted the fact that he wasn’t interested in being anything more than friends and business acquaintances, but it still made him feel guilty from time to time.

 

"Hey, I have to tell you something," Yoongi says quietly, getting up to gaze out at the city. He feels Jimin tense slightly as the younger comes to stand by his side, peering at him hesitantly before turning to follow his gaze out to the setting sun.

 

They stand quietly for a while, and Yoongi knows he's setting Jimin on edge, but despite the countless nights he had spent contemplating how to say this, he still has no idea where to start. With each passing second, he feels even worse, and the way Jimin politely remains quiet for him until he’s ready to speak makes his heart ache even more.

 

"I'm moving to America."

 

The words drop out of his mouth, poison that leaves a bitter taste in his mouth. It really shouldn’t be such a big deal, he knows. This is business after all. They’ll still stay in touch. But he can't help but feel as if he’s abandoning Jimin right in the middle of building their precarious relationship.

 

At his words, Jimin slowly turns to face him and blinks a few times. The silence sits thick and heavy as even the city holds its breath, delaying the setting of the burning sun and casting an orange glow onto Jimin’s figure.

 

"Permanently." Jimin says evenly, voice lacking the tremble Yoongi was expecting.

 

All he can do is nod his affirmation, peeking at Jimin to gauge his reaction before placing a hand hesitantly on his arm.

 

"I'm sorry, Jimin."

 

Jimin turns at his apology, frowning, and takes Yoongi’s hand off his arm, holding it for a moment before letting it go.

 

"Don't be. It's just business," he says quietly.

 

"I'd bring you with me but Jungkook... I mean, if he takes over, he's going to be lost without your help, and--"

 

"Yoongi-ssi." Yoongi looks up at Jimin's eyes, and they’re soft, though he can’t tell if it’s out of resignation or acceptance.

 

"I understand, okay? It's okay." Jimin says before biting his lip and unconsciously betraying his anxiety.

 

“Jimin, I could definitely arrange for some training beforehand. Jungkook's quick so I'm sure I could teach him everything before I--"

 

"No, hyung."

 

Yoongi stops at Jimin’s sudden change in formality, and just stares at how he looks out the glass windows again, still chewing on his bottom lip and failing miserably at holding his emotion in check. The sun has almost set completely, and twilight has begun to nestle itself on top of the atmosphere, horizon reduced to glowing embers.

 

"Jimin--"

 

"Don't." Jimin snaps, eyes immediately widening as if he himself just realized what he said.

 

“I... just don’t.” he repeats quietly, swallowing hard before staring Yoongi straight into his eyes, body language contrasting his every word. Yoongi reaches for his hand, but Jimin jerks away away from his touch, eyes rimmed with dull panic.

 

“Please,” he pleads, voice finally breaking.

 

"Let me let go, hyung."

 

And then Jimin is gone with the click of the door, leaving Yoongi staring helplessly after him, surrounded once again by the empty space of his office. The sun sinks below the horizon, and it takes with it the very last bit of light,leaving darkness in it’s wake.

 

🕛  🕐  🕑  🕒  🕓  🕔  🕕  🕖  🕗  🕘  🕙  🕚  🕛

 

When Jimin comes to work the next morning, he smiles at Yoongi the same way he does every day, though it doesn't quite reach his eyes. Yoongi takes note of the waves of exhaustion rolling off Jimin and hands him an energy drink from the vending machine, and though Jimin shakes his head at his offer and waves him away, Yoongi doesn’t budge.

 

"Just. Please, Jimin." Yoongi says, unable to further his thoughts into words. Jimin looks up at him for a long time before finally nodding, taking the drink with a soft "Thanks."

 

They speak like that, with small, silent gestures and short phrases until they're both comfortable enough to slip back into their usual routine, arguing about every detail of every proposal, every deal.

 

And Jimin looks at Yoongi slowly relax and wants to think he's doing the right thing, letting this whole thing blow over like it isn't a big deal. ‘Not really a big deal,’ he lies to himself for the umpteenth time that day. Yoongi's chattering about some Korean restaurant and he hears himself countering him, saying Duck Duck is better, that it has a cute name (who's he kidding, that's an awful name for a restaurant), but he honestly has no idea what he's saying, what he's doing, what he's thinking. He just wants to hit pause on his life and throw himself into bed.

 

Jimin is counting the hours he has left until he gets off work when he hears someone clear their throat, causing him and Yoongi to look up at Jungkook, standing rather awkwardly in front of their desk. Jungkook looks as uptight as always, a half-frown permanently plastered to his perfectly chiseled face. Jimin pauses his moping for a second to pity the boy in front of him, who looks far too young to be so serious. He briefly reminisces the younger version of Jungkook, all energy and care-free charm, before Jungkook’s conversation with Yoongi brings him back to reality. He doesn’t have to ask to know what Yoongi’s going to tell Jungkook next, and guessing that they’d appreciate a little privacy, he murmurs an “I’ll be back,” before quickly getting up for the door. Jungkook’s curious eyes follow his movement, and in that moment Jimin envies him - so unaware, so confident, so logical, the complete opposite of the emotional trainwreck mess he was. He can’t help but glance back at Yoongi one last time, sadness turning bitter as he steps out of the office.

 

And that’s what Jimin is still thinking about when Jungkook finds him on the roof. The kid looks completely bewildered when he bluntly tells him that he loves Yoongi, and it almost makes him want to laugh at how lost Jungkook is when it comes to anything other than work. Jungkook hesitates, as if he’s thinking of what else he should say, but he seems to come up empty because he leaves soon after, leaving Jimin alone, cold, and disappointed. An offer for tea would have been nice. Or a hug. But then again, he’s asking too much from Jungkook. The kid seemed to be struggling to wrap his head around the change it events too, though Jimin had no doubt that Jungkook’s apprehension stemmed from the increased work load of his new responsibility and nothing else.

 

Jimin can’t help the tears that fall down his face, and he swipes at them, frustrated by how fragile and helpless he feels. Seeing how emotionally unaffected Jungkook is annoys him, and even more so that the younger seem

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter