Preview

The Fri(end)

2010 

My final year of junior high, my family went bankrupt. My dad's business collapsed and my mom, who was a stay at home mom, had to jump into the fishcake business. In two weeks time, we moved out of our decently sized three bedroom house into a one bedroom apartment that leaked and scarcely had hot water. 

I didn't tell anyone in school. Not even Nayeol, my best friend. I kept quiet, letting it bubble inside me. Even when I fell asleep in class, because I had been moving things all the night before, I told no one and took the consequences quietly. I didn't intend to let anyone see me so vulnerable, so pathetic. 

But somtimes, things don't go how we intend. 

 

"Lee Dami. You're an idiot." 

I turned around with a frown. An unfamilar voice, one I'd never heard before, was telling me I was an idiot? Heol. 

"What?" I asked, facing a tall boy with doe eyes. I'd seen him once or twice around school with his popular friends. 

"You're an idiot." 

I glared. "I heard you the first time. How do you even know me you je -" Yet, the words faded out as before I could even finish he walked off, shaking his head. 

 

Three days passed. Again, right as I was about to leave school premises, I heard the raspy voice. 

"Idiot Lee Dami. Shall I walk you home?" 

I clenched my fist. "Shut up." I spat, not even turning around. I stomped off home, wondering what the heck this kid's problem was. 

 

"Oi, Lee Dami! Aren't you curious as to how I know your name?" 

It was a cold evening as I walked home. Puffs of air released the tall boy's mouth but he was grinning as he walked beside me. In his hand was a strawberry drink and a banana drink. He handed me the banana. 

"You're starting to annoy me." 

"Just now starting?" He retorted, chuckling. 

I scoffed, taking the banana milk. 

"Oh Sehun." He introduced, sipping his milk. 

I shrugged, walking faster than he did. He caught up in no time, what with is long legs twice my size. 

"You don't live near me, Oh Sehun. Go home." 

"I know I don't live near you, Lee Dami. I am walking you home." He replied. 

I tensed, halting my strides. What if he saw the slums I called my home? 

Sehun sighed, patting my head. I looked up at him, confused. 

"Alright, I'll let you walk home alone. Goodnight Lee Dami." 

And just like that, he stalked off, disappearing in minutes. I watched him for a while, not understanding the tall stranger. 

"Oh Sehun," I spoke to myself, a little befuddled, a little annoyed, and a lot curious. 

 

It was that evening, that my mom announced that our landlord's son was in the same school as me. Moreover, his name was Oh Sehun. 

And just like that, it all pieced together. 

Oh Sehun knew my secret.