Ten

The Empire of Women
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Thanks for waiting for my update. Here you go :)

"Your Highness," Joohyun bowed after she stepped into the study room. Seulgi smiled brightly when she saw her lover, she stood up immediately and walked to close the door. Even though the people in her house knew about their relationship, they still had to do this discreetly because it was personal afterall. 

"Rise, rise." Seulgi said and helped Joohyun to get up. Joohyun blushed when she felt Seulgi's hand lingering around her lower waist as they walked to the seats. "Sit down." Seulgi pressed her palms on Joohyun's shoulders. 

"You sit down too." Joohyun said softly when Seulgi was just standing in front of her. She noticed that the princess was wearing a light robe which looked super dashing on the princess, Joohyun felt her heart palpitating when Seulgi tilted her head backward to expose her luscious neck. 

Seulgi sat leaning on the study table and she lowered her head with a frown. "Hyunnie, I am not happy." 

"Why?" Joohyun frowned when she saw the troubled look on the princess' face. She watched as Seulgi opened and closed for a few times before sighing deeply. "You can tell me anything." 

"Everything is happening too fast." Seulgi mumbled. Joohyun bent slightly lower to meet Seulgi's eyes which were staring at the floor. However, Joohyun knew to speak no more and to wait for Seulgi to continue. "From the day that I met you, everything has... changed." 

"and why are you not happy?" Joohyun asked slowly, ready to give comfort to the princess any time. 

Seulgi clenched her jaws and rubbed her face roughly with her palms before she hid her face behind her palms from Joohyun. "I did not want to get married so soon. But I did. And now I have two wives." Joohyun's eyes shifted away for a moment but then she looked back at the princess who was still hiding her face away. "I am going to have a daughter too. But, everything feels wrong. I can't breathe." 

Joohyun's heart wrenched at the sight of the stressed out girl who was just sixteen but had huge burden on her shoulders because of her status. She wished she could help to relieve some of Seulgi's burden, but she was just a servant. "Seulgi..." 

"Umuni is falling sick. I am scared, Hyunnie." Seulgi removed her palms away from her face and she stared at her hands. Joohyun noticed the b tears in Seulgi's eyes and she stood up, pulling Seulgi into her arms and whispering words of comfort as she rubbed the princess' back gently. Seulgi snuggled closer to her lover and she felt better when she could feel Joohyun's warmth and take in Joohyun's calming sweet scent. "Umuni became the Empress at twenty-four. I am still sixteen and I am so scared that Umuni will leave me very soon. I am still not ready." 

"You will be fine." Joohyun whispered. 

Seulgi would have felt angry if that came from other people. Because what did they know? They knew nothing about the politics in the court. Who said that it was fine? But coming from Joohyun, it felt comforting. "I will be fine?" Seulgi asked. 

"Yes you will." Joohyun nodded in Seulgi's embrace. "You're smart. You're talented. You're capable." 

Seulgi smiled. She pushed away slowly and looked at Joohyun teasingly. "How do you know that? Have you been searching up on me?" 

Joohyun blushed and slapped Seulgi's chest shyly. "Don't be so arrogant." 

"How dare you slap a princess." Seulgi pretended to be offended and Joohyun stuck out her tongue at the princess who could only shrug and give in to her lover. Joohyun felt Seulgi staring at her again and she gave the princess a coy smile before she looked away to stare at everywhere but Seulgi's eyes. "Look at me-" 

"What is that?" Joohyun's attention fell upon something on Seulgi's table. She walked to the side of the table and Seulgi watched her picking the item up. "Seulgi, what is this?" 

"A catapult." Seulgi answered. "Don't you know?" 

Joohyun knew. Of course Joohyun knew. "Why do you have this?" Joohyun asked slowly, raising the catapult higher at Seulgi. 

Seulgi folded her arms and looked at Joohyun who was on her left side. "I went out with Soojung that day and saw it, thought it was interesting so I bought it back." 

Joohyun nodded. So Seulgi still did not remember. 

"Wait... you said that you want to learn archery right? How about we start off with something light first?" Seulgi grinned at her own suggestion. "Come on." She pulled Joohyun by the hand and Joohyun stumbled forward as the princess dragged her out of the room to the front yard. 

"Are we playing this?" Joohyun asked and waved the catapult in front of Seulgi's face. 

"What do you think?" Seulgi teased and took the catapult from Joohyun's hand. She went to the side to pick up a small stone and placed it on the elastic band before shooting the stone far away into the air. Joohyun smiled when she saw how good Seulgi was. Seulgi could not even shoot more than fifteen metres away last time no matter how hard she tried. "You try it." 

Joohyun nodded and took the catapult in her hand. Seulgi picked up a stone for her and passed it to Joohyun. Joohyun frowned when Seulgi gave her a small stone. She tossed the stone away and went to pick out a bigger one. 

"Aren't you getting a little too ambitious?" Seulgi teased and Joohyun eyed her playfully before shooting the stone far away, further than Seulgi's. Seulgi's jaw dropped and she slowly turned her head to look at Joohyun. "Now I am not sure if I should be scared of you. How do you..." 

"What do you think?" Joohyun smiled. 

"Wait." Seulgi raised her palm in front of Joohyun's face. "Wait." She repeated and blinked rapidly. Certain images flashed through her mind again and she frowned as she thought hard. She tried to piece every image together and she looked at Joohyun slowly. "Catapult... present... birthday... a girl... hyunnie?" 

"Yes?" Joohyun felt more and more positive that Seulgi seemed to be remembering her. 

"No, not Hyunnie. But Hyunnie." Seulgi explained, telling Joohyun that the Hyunnie she was referring to was the girl she met when she was six. "You are Hyunnie." 

Joohyun felt like screaming. Seulgi remembered. Seulgi finally remembered her. "Yes." Joohyun's voice was almost inaudible. 

"Why didn't you tell me!" Seulgi exclaimed and grabbed Joohyun by her shoulders excitedly. Both of them could not stop grinning from ear to ear as they looked into each other's eyes fondly. 

"I thought you forgot." Joohyun muttered. 

"You should have told me!" Seulgi laughed. 

"It would be weird. What if you didn't remember and you thought that I was trying to get closer to you for fame and fortune." Joohyun said sarcastically. 

"Ahhh... that's the Hyunnie I knew." Seulgi chuckled. "Not the Joohyun who acts so polite and shy." 

Joohyun hit Seulgi on the chest again which made the princess giggle louder. "You took so long to remember!" 

"Actually, I kind of knew it that day. But I am just too slow to get things." Seulgi said, tucking a strand of loose hair behind Joohyun's ear. 

"When?" 

"That day when you gave yourself to me." Seulgi smiled, cupping Joohyun's face. Joohyun's face grew hotter and Seulgi could literally feel it, she laughed at the blushing girl and gave her a kiss on her forehead. "I saw your birthmark

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter