Not a Date

You and I

Aerin has been on the phone with Daeun for 20 minutes. Daeun, who is persistently trying to convince Aerin to attend her dance competition even though Aerin keeps coming up with reasons on why she can't. Daeun is currently setting up for her for her dance performance in an hour and an half. She has been part of dance since freshman year,  but this was the first competition of the year, so she wanted her bestfriend to support her.

 "Are you not going to go? How could you do this to me!" Daeun yelled through the phone.

"Its not that I don't want to go."

"Is it because Youngjae is going to be there?" Daeun asked. 

"No, its because my parents can't drive me there today." Honestly, it was partially the reason.

"I'll ask someone who is also going to pick you up along the way."

"Who?" Many people either feel intimated or awkward with her. She is not a very close with many people, but its not like she wants to be anyway. Her best friend knew that very well.

"Don't worry. I'll fine someone. So get ready by 10 because you're going. You have an hour. Bye!" Daeun ended the call, before Aerin could disagree.

"Daeun!" Aerin sighed, there was no use in arguing with her, so she started getting ready.

 

 

 Aerin stood by herself in the middle of her empty driveway. In her quiet neighborhood, that not many people were seen outside. 

A silver car drove into the driveway and stopped in front of her. A man sat in the driver's seat. Someone sat in the passenger seat.

Choi Youngjae

Aerin was not expecting that. 

Only one thing popped in her head. Her bestfriend is so dead.

Youngjae came out from the car and opened the car door for her, "Let's go Aerin," he said with a smile. Then he ran around to the other side to sit next to her in the car.

"Hello Aerin," said Mr. Choi from the front seat. 

"Hello Mr. Choi," Aerin greeted back.

Youngjae kept on talking during the entire ride.

"Okay, kids we're here," said Mr. Choi parking in the parking lot. "Call me to pick you up."

They walked inside and saw crowds of people filling up the benches. 

 They followed up to get their seats. Aerin quickened her pace trying to lose Youngjae, but it was no use. 

The competition started and the first dance performance came on, which happen to Daeun and Changkyun's team.

 Youngjae sat down on the seat next to he, "Looks like they're starting." 

They danced to two songs. "Candy Sunday" by Chance the Rapper which was was more exciting and fun while "Deadwater" by Wet was more of an ballet and modern dance number.

"Wasn't that great? We should go on a date more often."

"This is not a date," replied Aerin. "And there are still five more dance teams." 

Three more teams finished, as time passed by Youngjae grew even more bored.

"I going to go to the restroom," he told Aerin before getting out of his seat. 

Aerin sat in her seat alone, watching the performance. 

"Hey," a guy appeared in front her with a smile on his face and sat in the seat next to her. "Hi, My name is Donghyuk. What's yours?"

"I'm Aerin."

"So...you're here for the performance?"

Aerin nodded with a small smile as a friendly gesture. In her mind, she was hoping that this conversation would end soon and he would leave her alone. Aerin was never the social type, so she did not like talking to people. Rarely would she ever think this, but she actually hoped Youngjae would come back quickly.

" I'm sorry, but someone else was sitting here."

"Oh, was it your friend?"

"Umm...not exactly," Aerin said because what was she suppose to say, a boy who likes her and keeps following her around and even though he annoys her a lot she maybe just a liitle enjoy his company, not that she would ever admit that.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't know you had a boyfriend."

"What? I-"

Just then Youngjae came back to their seats," Hey, Aerin I- Who are you? Why are you sitting in my seat?"

Donghyuk stood up,"Hey, I'm so sorry. I was kind of flirting with her, but didn't know she had a boyfriend. I'll be leaving."

"Huh?,"Youngjae asked confused. He glanced at Aerin who was avoiding his eyes. Youngjae smiled, "Yeah, I'm her boyfriend."

After Donghyuk left, Youngjae sat down next to Aerin," Boyfriend huh? So, you're finally acknowledging this as a date."

"No. Just focus on the performance," said Aerin turning away from him.

"How can I when I'm sitting next to you," said Youngjae. Aerin pretended to ignore him.

Youngjae smiled to himself.

The competition ended. Daeun and Changkyun's team won.

"Hey guys!," called Daeun with Changkyun following after her. She also noiticed  Aerin's frown as she walked towards her. "Sooo... we won," she said trying to lift the mood.

"I can explain. No one else was available and Youngjae lives near you and..You don't want to hear this huh? You know you're my bestfriend and I love you right?" Said Daeun smiling." Aerin glared at her. "Okay, I have to pack up. I'll text you." She said backing away, pulling Changkyun with her.

Youngjae and Aerin walked out to wait for Youngjae's dad who is suppose to pick them up.

"When are we going to go on our next date?"

"We are not going on another date."

"You said another date, so this was a date."

This was going to be long wait.